Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 172 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, since a few of you have expressed interest in my modifications, I’ve decided to start thread, and update it as I go. If nothing else, I hope to be able to show those of you interested “what” can be done. Whether my mods work out or not, I’ll post the outcomes. Whether you like what I have done or not, your feedback is most certainly welcome!

As I stated in a prior post, I want to build a vehicle capable of crisp handling and good performance in severe weather conditions (snow, moderate off-road excursions, etc.). However, I also wanted a vehicle that didn’t fall into the category of an SUV. Anyone can toss a set of KC Lights on a Jeep and call it good. I wanted to put my own spin on something. Since the OB provided such a good base (and I’ve always wanted one), I decided to pick up a ’98 with just a little over 100K miles on it. I’m learning more and more about these wonderful rigs (and Subaru in general) each day.

Here’s a “before” picture of the OB. As you can see, it’s a Limited Edition. It’s got the all-weather package, leather, dual moon roofs and the 2.5L engine.

Pictures of my Outback prior to any mods

UPDATE 1: Thus far, I have removed the “Limited” badges from the front doors (both driver’s and passengers side), removed the gold colored pinstripe that ran the length of the body, installed a set of PIAA 520 fog lights in the factory fog location, swapped the stock headlight bulbs for set of PIAA Xtreme White’s, swapped the stock reverse lights for a set of PIAA halogen reverse lights, added a set of Subaru all-weather slush-catching floor mats, installed a Python alarm, installed a CUSCO front strut tower bar, added a brand new set of Nokian WR’s and winter rims and installed a Perrin drop-in 1,000,000 mile air filter (until the GPMoto intake is installed).

I have a collection of parts accumulating in my den, but can’t do much more until some missing pieces arrive.

To be continued...

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The bar was around $150. However, I’m not sure if they’re still available. I’d heard that they were going to be phased out, and RalliTek isn’t offering them on their site any longer. In any case, YES, it’s very noticeable. It corners much stiffer, with a lot less roll. I’m sure it will handle even better once I get the rear bar and rear sway.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Im really glad to see you doing this, actually. I also want to bring my car up to the next level, i've been looking all over the internet to find different parts for my car. It is a great feeling when you know your car is mostly different from all the other ones you see. Well, i can't wait to see what you do to your car, and if i have the right funds, i'll also start changing things on mine.

-Will

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
even if the Legacy bar isn't avail any more, i strongly suspect you can use an Impreza bar with a little cutting and TIG welding....i think major diff is that Legacy bar needs to be wider.

and let me add my thanks for your boldly going where no OB has gone before.....

removed the “Limited” badges from the front doors (both driver’s and passengers side),

hot dawg, man after my own heart. we allus used to think the word "limited" on the side of Puick Regals referred to their handling and avoidance capabilities :D

a set of Subaru all-weather slush-catching floor mats

or is that coffee-catching floor mats, due to the total absence of a decent cupholder that'll hold things in place at >.5 lateral G.....
(for all the gripes abt the Saabaru, i note that they fixed this....)

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ha! Yeah, the badges were the first thing to go. And the mats were a necessity for catching coffee. I mean c’mon, I’m from Seattle...we know a few things about coffee up here...hehe.

I try by best to stay clean with my mods. There’s nothing I hate more than mods that don’t compliment each other.

As for the strut tower bar...yes, there are a number of other bars out there that can probably be tweaked to fit. However, one can also fab their own.

·
Super Moderator
6,009 Posts
The more pictures you can take of this process, the better. I'm quite interested in all that you are doing, not neccesarily because I want to do it to my own OB, but mainly because it's always fun to see people tastefully modify their cars.

Theres a few pictures over at the NABISCO outback forums of a guy who added a turbo to his '97OB. It is quite strange looking and I kinda feel as though that's an inappropriate mod for our cars. At some point you need to draw the line between what you can/could do and what you should do.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
hey, wait a minute, what's wrong with idea of alititude compensation in the Car O' the Mountains....??

turbo don't necessarily mean STi Ricerboy, they were used on industrial engines, trux, aircraft of various types for years, and still find their best appln on such steady-speed engines (lag not an issue)

·
Super Moderator
6,009 Posts
cptoversteer said:
...they were used on industrial engines, trux, aircraft of various types for years, and still find their best appln on such steady-speed engines (lag not an issue)
And how does an Outback fit into those categories?

Granted, I'm being slightly hypocritical because there is now an official turbo Outback...but my point is, is it really worth the time/money/effort to add turbo to an EJ25 that will eventually blow a head gasket anyway?

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
i see an OB as relatively industrial (ducking to avoid flames from all directions....:eek: )

in sense that, esp when i'm on trips, steady state power is the order of the day, turbo lag not as much of an issue as on, say, a Miata or MR2.

on your 2d comment, no, it's not worth it unless you're that loonie who sees his car as a tabla rasa rather than a finished piece and plans to keep it forever. maybe not even then.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok, so I had some free time on my hands today, and decided to update the thread. I haven't done much yet, due to the fact that it's inventory time at work, and the majority of my parts aren't here yet (grrr...).

To date, I have...

I removed the grotesque pinstripes and "Limited" badges from the side of the OB. I have also added a set of Nokian WR's w/some generic steel rims until I get my stock rims powdercoated black (this should look pretty trick). I also removed the "AWD" stickers from the inside of the rear windows, in preperation for the tint next week:

I swapped the stock fogs out for a set of PIAA 520's. They are bright as ****:

Under the hood, I added a Cusco STB, an STi radiator cap and an Optima Yellow-Top:

Inside the rig, I removed anything that was coated with the faux woodgrain finish...I hated it. The pieces are curretnly drying...I painted them black with some interior plastic paint (I've also removed the rear badges, and they are being painted black):

Thus far, that's all I've done. By this time next week, I should have my custom Perrin warm-air intake, tint, Yakima Load Warrior rack, some decals (tasteful mind you), the custom black grille w/black badging, Boombaracing STi battery tie down, Sun Auto ground kit with the voltage regulator and the RalliTek light bar with the (4) Hella 500's.

I'll post more pics when I've got more to show...

·
Super Moderator
6,009 Posts
DAAAAAAAAAAMN your engine is CLEAN!
Holy freaking crap I wish I could keep mine that clean...but 6 months/year of salty roads makes that an impossibility.

The airbox is spotless and shiny, your overflow tank is CLEAN, and your battery cables look brand new. I'm insanely jealous of all that.

The PIAA 520s look hot, nice job on the install. Was it easy?

Great job so far, if you've got the same OEM rims that I've got, they are going to look excellent powdercoated.

What's up with your black fetish?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks!

Good question on the black fetish...hehe. Black keeps things looking low profile and mean. I figured that combining some black with the OB, would yield a 'mafia meets the mountains' look...lol. Any way, I guess I just like black.

Yeah, the bay is pretty clean. Once all my installs are done, I'll clean it one last time. That's one of my pet peeves. I usually have my vehicles detailed (including an engine steam clean and underbody steam clean) each Spring too.

1 - 20 of 172 Posts
About this Discussion
171 Replies
23 Participants
Jstone616
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing