Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Reading about the 2014 Forester supposedly due out in spring of 2013, I'm wondering if that new turbo engine will find its way into the OBW.

It's interesting that Subaru would take the trouble to redesign the H-6 engine, with that 2.0T so close on its heels. The trend seems to be towards smaller displacement turbo engines.

That Forester looks very good on paper - same cargo and seating capacity as the OBW, a more powerful engine with minimal MPG penalty and similar center of gravity. Plus, an all-black dash/console :).

Too good to be true?

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
I dunno. I drove the Hyundai inline 4 cyl 2.0 liter turbo.
Quite powerful with about 270 hp.
Very smooth and fast.
Nice

·
Registered
312 Posts
I wouldn't think so - they killed off the Outback XT a while ago which I imagine was due to lackluster sales... maybe it will show up in the Legacy if they bring back the GT (it's already in the JDM Legacy) - then again, the engine seems to always be mated to a CVT, so maybe it will make it into both the Outback and the Legacy... maybe replacing the 3.6? More power and better fuel economy... what's not to like!

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
You bet, I predict the H6 will no longer be a option for the next gen OB. Fuel economy will be a major factor. Look for a slight bump in the 2.0 FBDIT that will power the 14 Fonz

·
Registered
604 Posts
2.0L turbo running 87 octane? I bet not. Unless the new engine has a lot of low end torque like 1400 rpms it will not be all that useful. If it does have a lot of torque at low rpms it will be a huge success.
It is to be seen what the real 14 looks like and what the real engine come out being. Nothing is final and I have no idea what Subaru will really do.
It would be a whole different story if Subaru had the guts to import the 2.0L turbo diesel. That would be a significant increase in fuel mileage...

·
Registered
203 Posts
I certainly hope so, and agree with pgh that the H6 will be retired.

One of my disappointments with Subaru was that they do not currently have an answer for the German cars with their awesome 2.0 turbos (Audi, BMW). Both the A4 and X3 give great low to midrange torque but still deliver 20/28 MPG. With the OB, you have to go to the 3.6R to get that kind of performance (which I did) but you give up mileage.

Subaru really needs to have more engine options going forward - 2.0t for people who want performance, and hybrids and/or diesels for those who want optimum economy, with the 2.5L motor being the low-cost choice.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
2.0L turbo running 87 octane? I bet not. Unless the new engine has a lot of low end torque like 1400 rpms it will not be all that useful. If it does have a lot of torque at low rpms it will be a huge success.
It is to be seen what the real 14 looks like and what the real engine come out being. Nothing is final and I have no idea what Subaru will really do.
It would be a whole different story if Subaru had the guts to import the 2.0L turbo diesel. That would be a significant increase in fuel mileage...
Taka a look at the 2.0T specs on the new Santa Fe. You will be shocked at what 87 octane can do. Flattest torque curve you have ever seen.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Taka a look at the 2.0T specs on the new Santa Fe. You will be shocked at what 87 octane can do. Flattest torque curve you have ever seen.
That is an impressive engine; I drove one as well. There are some odd flat spots in the throttle response, making it less than linear but that's probably a transmission thing as well.

The Subaru engine can take 87 octane but I read that power is derated to 230 from 250.

The big question for me is whether the 2014 Forester would be a better purchase than the current OBW. Three or four months isn't that long to wait (but deals may be hard to come by).

·
Registered
320 Posts
That is an impressive engine; I drove one as well. There are some odd flat spots in the throttle response, making it less than linear but that's probably a transmission thing as well.

The Subaru engine can take 87 octane but I read that power is derated to 230 from 250.

The big question for me is whether the 2014 Forester would be a better purchase than the current OBW. Three or four months isn't that long to wait (but deals may be hard to come by).
No, it's rated at 230 HP with 91 octane. Japan spec's rate the 2.0 turbo at 250 HP because they have fuel with a higher octane rating. It can take 87 but the performance will be even more sapped.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Its 250hp premium fuel 230 regular. I believe some states use different specs for measuring octane. With good computer management the CVT should allow the turbo to spool at lower RPMs and make a useful motor. Bye bye 3.6 2014 maybe it.

·
Registered
130 Posts
given the current engine trends for smaller displacement w/ turbos, I would expect to see the 3.6 disappear. Would be interested to see if they bored it out to 2.5 though to add a little torque and make it less peaky, like they did with the USDM WRX vs ROW WRX

·
Registered
683 Posts
Glad I'm a decade away from replacing my OB. Hopefully, buy that time there'll be a 4.0, 350HP engine that gets 40MPG. :)

I spoke with a guy at our local Cars & Coffee this past month who picked up a 2008 Indy Pace Car Vette. That thing has something like 425HP and he pulled 27.14MPG bringing it home from up north. So, I have room to dream. :)

I really don't want a small engine on steroids thats blown 3 ways from Sunday.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Guess you have never driven a high powered small displacement turbo car. While they may not have the grunt off the line that a big block muscle car can generate, twin scroll turbos can actually make really good torque down low.

My car has way more power and acceleration than any H6 is going to muster.

2.0L turbo with mild mods and running 330hp/350ft/lbs at the wheels.

·
Registered
331 Posts
i've yet to drive a 2L turbo that i like as much as the H6. the 2L turbo in the BMW 528 is less than impressive. you really have to run it hard to make it perform. ..i know the trend is small displacement with a turbo for mpg reasons. ..but i still prefer a little larger engine sans turbo. i'd really like to see the H6 in the BRZ. i'd have already bought one.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Guess you have never driven a high powered small displacement turbo car. While they may not have the grunt off the line that a big block muscle car can generate, twin scroll turbos can actually make really good torque down low.

My car has way more power and acceleration than any H6 is going to muster.

2.0L turbo with mild mods and running 330hp/350ft/lbs at the wheels.
Actually, I have. Several of them, in fact. And I've done it on the race track, too.

But that's not really my point. My concern is for an engine that, in my perception, is being forced to work too hard to carry too much. While a 2.0T may be just fine in something like a BRZ or a Impreza like vehicle, I question it as a serious choice for something like an Outback. Especially a loaded one and how it will handle long term. Take, for example, the Ford EcoBoost v6 in an F-150. I know Ford has tested the ever-living-crap out of that engine. And from what I've heard it has done well. But testing and real life are two different things.

·
Registered
130 Posts
i've yet to drive a 2L turbo that i like as much as the H6. the 2L turbo in the BMW 528 is less than impressive. you really have to run it hard to make it perform. ..i know the trend is small displacement with a turbo for mpg reasons. ..but i still prefer a little larger engine sans turbo. i'd really like to see the H6 in the BRZ. i'd have already bought one.
I havent driven a 528, but thats starting to be a big car for that engine anyways...but i drove the new BMW 2.0T in a 328 back to back with a 335 and I was quite impressed. I would see no real reason to fork over for the turbo 6 in that case.

The 2.0T in my GTI was awesome. Especially w/ a chip. 90%+ torque from 1800 rpm. Ran out of breath up high though.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Many turbo cars can now run on 87, you just wont make as much power.
THIS. Our '04 SAAB 2.3T will run on any gas you like, if you don't mind the performance hit. We run 89 RON mid-grade, doesn't seem to be much different from 93.....

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
About this Discussion
41 Replies
21 Participants
billybobbovine
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing