Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Fresh Out of Outbacks!
14,499 Posts
The dimming effect you have observed is ordinary and common to quite a few Subarus...

If it bothers you to the point where you want to do something about it, I might suggest converting to LED brake lights- the reduced current draw will make for less of a voltage drop.

I haven't seen an aftermarket voltage regulator.

For later models, you could consider using freeSSM to artificially raise the idle.

·
Registered
Fresh Out of Outbacks!
14,499 Posts
Are LED brake lights just a bulb replacement solution? Has anybody on this board actually done this with a result that solves the problem?

Is the dimming also related to the ABS, Battery dash lights coming on intermittently?
LEDs are replacement bulbs. They draw less power, so the voltage drop would be much less noticeable- perhaps imperceptible.

The battery light illuminates when voltage has dropped below a certain threshold. The ABS light will also light up when voltage drops below a different (usually slightly higher) threshold. ABS requires electricity to work, so when the system thinks there isn't enough electricity there is a legitimate cause for concern and the light comes on.

You shouldn't be seeing the battery or ABS lights during any normal operation other than the self-test at startup. If you are seeing them, something is not up to spec with your electrical system.

·
Registered
Fresh Out of Outbacks!
14,499 Posts
A smaller (overdrive) pulley would theoretically solve this issue if one can be sourced.
That change could come with other consequences- MPG hit or reduction of alt life from extra wear when at higher RPMs.

I'm not suggesting you shouldn't do it, because it probably would solve the problem... just be ready to support the trade-off.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts