Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Outback 3.6R 2014 Legacy 2.5i 2003 Legacy L special edition (retired to backup)
1,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As most of you know I got a 2010 outback 3.6R back in November 2019 with 140K on it for $8,500 ($9,200 after state got done bending me over). Mind you this was before COVI-19 aka corona beer virus took it's toll...and car values took a dive accordingly

All parts used are SUBARU or OEM supplier (DENSO, NGK, etc.) the exception will be the lower control arms as they will come from Malevotech.

Now some of you are going to think that this is way too much work and I paid too much. some of you are going to think it was a decent deal. At the time 2010 outback in my area were going for $10-13K.

first thing I did was to put new tires on it since I got a nail in a side wall (bummer)

Total $500 chalk that up to bad luck

I put in 6 new spark plugs $42 but still had misfire on #4
replaced #4 coil and repaired the connector as the previous owner broke it andf epoxied it to the aftermarket coil
I put in 6 new coils $400 after rebate misfore #4 remains (intermittent)
did a relative compresson test, all good so ordered 6 subaru injectors from e-bay and they camew complete with fuel rails $95
purchaed ultrasonic cleaner $90 and cleaning solution $40 and fuel injector rebuild kit $25
2x knock sensors $20
2x rear o2 $160

Total $852

Struts and shocks had seen better days, replaced them with KYB quick struts and ride is much improved $425 after rebate
installed new front say bar bushings $15
installed new 20mm rear swaybar and bushings $100
front and rear endlinks $60

Total $600

Cabin and air filters $20
trans fulid for a full 4x drain and fill on trans and power steering $100
Serpentine belt $20

Total $140

Restore headlights
$30 for supplies but I am going to say to skip all of the restore kits and buy a $7 bottle of mothers aluminum polish and use that instead....and the clear coat them with a ceramic coating applied 3x.

So we have a car that cost $9200 plus I have spent $1652 to get the car back into shape mechanilcally and an additional $500 on unexpected items. I do have one thing left to replace and that is the lower control amrms so add in about $160 more
Grand total all in we are looking at $11,509 which puts us slightly on the lower side for what I would have paid for a car that appears to have been in tip top shape. I was thinking about not including the purchase of the ultrasonic cleaner but since I bought it to clean the injectors, I am including it.

How I would rate repairs from worst to easiest:

(potential leader) Lower front control arms but I have not done them yet...

For the first 3 items you will need to remove the battery and intake tract if you want it to be as easy as possible
1. spark plugs (will also have to remove PS reservoir and lay aside for passenger side )
2. coils
3. fuel injectors

No need to remove battery for these items

4. Struts/shocks
5. Serpentine belt
6. sway bar bushings
7. rear o2 sensors
8. Trans fluid drian and fill
9. PS fluid swap
10. cabin filter
11. engine air filter
Would I do it again? Sure as I am mechanically inclined and I now have a car that I KNOW is fit for another 100K of driving and it is no longer an unknown. engine now purrs like a kitten and the tramsmission is as smooth as butter...and the best part is my fuel economy is now in the upper 25 lower 26 mixed driving. I can live with that... This car was an oddity in one respect, it is immaculate on the inside but mechanically it was in a average state
I did not list any cosmetic stuff that I did like LEDs fogs (courtesy of a 2015 Ford Mustang) or grill insert replacement (delamiated chrome)
I have not done the CATs yet but since I repaired the engine the 420 code has been in hiding for a few days now but I know eventually a CAT replacement is needed and if so it will be $1100

Some teaser pictures
old injectors that came out

Used injectors that went in

Headlight after being cleaned with aluminum polish

New KYB quick strut assembly (rear)

How to gain access to knock sensors without removing intake

·
Registered
2012 Outback 2.5 Limited
945 Posts
Nice. What ultrasonic cleaner did you get? Sounds like a good and cheap way to DIY it... although a professional cleaning typically comes with before/after spray pattern analysis to confirm the improvement and acceptability of the cleaned injectors.

·
Registered
2010 Outback 3.6R 2014 Legacy 2.5i 2003 Legacy L special edition (retired to backup)
1,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
^ cheap Chinese knock off

it works as expected and 1 hour at 50C (122F) in the cleaning solution did WONDERS for making those injectors clean again. when I dropped my 6 in there the soap solution was even nastier when I pulled them out.

6 injectors cleaned and rebuilt would have cost me $200 at a local shop did it myself for about $150 and I got the same results nice clean rebuilt injectors. $50 is $50

·
Registered
11 Posts
Your thoughts on the 20mm rear sway bar please? Also why the 20 and not the 19 (did you find the 20 was cheaper?)
Very much considering doing it to my 2012

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I got the biggest bar Subaru offered for the car, it eliminated the wandering and the car stays flat in the corners and it added about 8mph to my clover speed before the tires begin to squeal in protest...

also those fuel injector covers are heavy at about 5lbs each... and they are as seem above insulated for noise

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
what the injectors look like when the came out of the cleaning solution

the gray you see on them is the DENSO markings. I did test them electrically before (12.6 ohms) and after except for #4 which was 13.9ohms before cleaning. After cleaning all tested at 12.6 ohms. I have no idea what that white stuff is on the end injector to the left..

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thankyou! Thats what my car does... wander.
Do you have the part no.s for the 20mm sway bar and bushings per chance (assuming you went oem)

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OEM bar will come with bushing and I would not bother removing the end links from the old bar The p/n is 20451VA000 for the kit and 20470SC000 x2 for the rear end links will also need 2x of P/N 902370055 the nut that goes on the end link to attach it to the stabilizer bar

1. remove bolts from end link at the control arm
2. remove bolts from bushing brackets
3. remove entire assembly as one

4. install new end links to bar
5. install end links into control arm
6. install new bushings to bar
7. reinstall brackets to bar

·
Registered
2013 3.6R Limited
843 Posts
Lots of work but well done. Glad you are now happy. Or at least you will be once you replace your cats....

·
Registered
'10 3.6R Outback Limited, 2zr swapped Toyota Yaris track toy, '12 Mazda3 skyactive
447 Posts
Interesting post, glad to hear the OB is mechanically sound now.

I was in a similar boat to you but my OB had some aethetic issues like a cracked windshield, fender dent and broken passenger mirror. No one wanted it so I was able to pick it up for $3200 CAD.

I love the car now but if I had to pay what you did I don't think I would have done it. Prices obviously vary market to market but fortunately for me people around here don't want to touch cars that are aesthetically damaged so I was able to take advantage of it.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
lol I wish we could get a outback 3.6R for 3200CAD here... Even with 0ver 200K miles (320K kms) they still go for $4K plus USD...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for the post, all smart moves , I just picked up a 2014 3.6 with 108K on it, a couple of weeks back, I think a mother used it to get here kids around town in it, the usual trolley scrapes and key scratches and rear bumper bent. Ill be following much the same path as you, except I'm replacing the tensioner and idle pulley as well, I took the belt off and they spin a little roughly. I have the misfire as well, I bought a foxtel n301 ob2 and the misfire isnt throwing any codes , how do you eliminate which cylinder is misfiring if it happens randomly and the code reader doesn't seem to record it?

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have code for #4 stored in the ecm

·
Registered
'10 3.6R Outback Limited, 2zr swapped Toyota Yaris track toy, '12 Mazda3 skyactive
447 Posts
lol I wish we could get a outback 3.6R for 3200CAD here... Even with 0ver 200K miles (320K kms) they still go for $4K plus USD...
Ouch, its crazy what the resale value is for these things in some states

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
well I have to add 1 more item to the list, possible water intrusion.... so today I will be checking sunroof drains and wiring behind the kick panel

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for the rear sway bar part numbers, saves me returning the bar for non fitment as ill be buying against suggested fitment from dealers , I'm struggling to get the KYBs for under 700 for s set of 4 here in ny.
I assume you are referring to "strut plus' when you mention quick strut, do you mind sharing the link where you got yours from?
much appreciated

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
1 - 19 of 19 Posts