Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2006 OutBean, 2005 LGTW
1,344 Posts
I think as far as the majority here are concerned, there's only one replacement for thermostats and that is the OEM part. Part #21200AA072 for your engine.

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,306 Posts
Only one.

Use a Subaru part or Stant's XACTstat line only.

Expect to be burping air from the system for a while.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Brping.

Only one.

Use a Subaru part or Stant's XACTstat line only.

Expect to be burping air from the system for a while.
The car is already "burping" air which is the reason for possibly a new thermostat.

At 68K miles the thermostat has not been replaced.

Does the car have to be on jack stands, or can I squeeze myself
under the car?

Would you have difficulty opinion on the thermostat access?

Or, a good link?

Thanks,

Gerry

·
On the Super Mod Squad
02 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,201 Posts
The car is already "burping" air which is the reason for possibly a new thermostat.

At 68K miles the thermostat has not been replaced.

Does the car have to be on jack stands, or can I squeeze myself
under the car?

Would you have difficulty opinion on the thermostat access?

Or, a good link?

Thanks,

Gerry
in a EZ30D OEM thermostat only, ...maybe a stant Xact stat if you were on Mars,....or Jupiter, and UPS or the USmail can't reach you with a OEM.

difficulty:

pretty easy to get access on a a outback. (just like changing oil). try and then jack it up if you feel like it, jack stands and ramps give more space to work with the catch pans and your head.....so maybe less swearing.

open the bottom hose, over the drip pan, open the rad cap, leave to drain. (probably get 1.5-1.75 gallons,) replace stat like you found it in the bottom hose at the engine.

the last .25-.5 gallon of coolant remains in the engine on a swap like this. no big deal.

____

nice to have: a spill free funnel for repeat burping a EZ30D. ($20) amazon "lisel spill fee funnel"

here is a video about draining adding the mix back in: (some 2nd gen ej253 forester there.?)

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,391 Posts
if you're already burping air out of the coolant, the thermostat isn't going to fix it. i'd diagnose or fix the issue first then install a new thermostat. no point in subjecting the thermostat to overheating/compromised cooling system.

otherwise it's easy.

generally best to get it up in the air - particularly if you're asking for directions and hesitant - but depending on your size, it can be done without ramps.

access without ramps/lifting might depend on size of the person doing the work, how warn the struts are, how much space the individual likes to have, if the car has an undercover, how much of an incline the vehicle will be on...

this is a good time to the oil cooler gasket since it has an associated coolant hose and any hoses that look old....or all of them preventatively.

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
14,318 Posts
^^^^What he said.

How many times has it overheated thus far? What condition is the radiator cap? If your coolant is gurgling, burping out "air", or you're losing coolant, and its run hot, even just once, its time for a HG test.

·
Registered
5,878 Posts
+1 on what others have said. What makes you think the issue is the thermostat?

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,621 Posts
this doesn't sound good

agree, more info/diagnosis

1 - 10 of 10 Posts