Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Current thermostat for a 07 OB 2.5 SOHC has opening temp of 82 degrees C. Factory stat was 78 degrees. Catalog says 78 is for 2005. Will 4 degree C higher stat be noticeable? Does anyone know why Subaru now calls for a hotter stat in this car? Thanks.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,195 Posts
2005 US spec EJ253, was the last of the old short blocks and a single year engine for the Ej253

2006-2009 new short blocks, newer valves and settings then the US spec 2005 EJ253

(2005 ej253 people have a whole bunch of single year parts to buy if they ever need them,...even oil dip sticks).

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,195 Posts
what part #s are you looking at,

DOHC 2.5 turbo may have a different # as may have EZ30R ?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
what part #s are you looking at,

DOHC 2.5 turbo may have a different # as may have EZ30R ?
I installed the 21210AA080 which is the 82 stat. It had a 78 stat in it. If the 07 had the new block, etc, why did they install a 78 stat at the factory?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just checked the FSM. It says stat should start opening at 80-84 degrees. I conclude the 78 stat was incorrectly installed at the factory or dealer installed colder stat when he replaced head gaskets thinking a colder engine would be easier on the head gaskets. In any event, I am confident that the 82 stat is right for this car. Thanks for your help!

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,195 Posts
I just checked the FSM. It says stat should start opening at 80-84 degrees. I conclude the 78 stat was incorrectly installed at the factory or dealer installed colder stat when he replaced head gaskets thinking a colder engine would be easier on the head gaskets. In any event, I am confident that the 82 stat is right for this car. Thanks for your help!
I would also be under the impression that this 10 year old car had a replacement stat put in at sometime....and it was not the right part #.
(one of the reasons to swap stats on any used car that is new to you)..

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would also be under the impression that this 10 year old car had a replacement stat put in at sometime....and it was not the right part #.
(one of the reasons to swap stats on any used car that is new to you)..
No, it was original stat. Owner has all her maintenance records, mostly from dealer where she purchased new. If dealer replaced stat during head gasket repair, he didn’t tell anybody.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts