Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2002 outback, 2.5 L
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2002 subaru outback 2.5. Can someone tell me where the thermostat is located. I think its sticking. My top hose is hot and bottom hose is cold. Doesn't seem like coolant is circulating.

·
Premium Member
2004 Outback Wagon, Mystic Blue Pearl
4,940 Posts
Yeah, there cars don't come with fail safe thermostats, so that seems like a likely cause. The thermostat is on the bottom of the engine, drivers side where the hose from the bottom of the radiator goes to the engine block. Should just be two screws to removed the fitting that the hose attaches to, and the thermostat is right under there. Of course make sure you have catch pan ready for the coolant, and do the swap when the car is nice and cold.

When you replace it, make sure you get the OEM unit from the dealer, the aftermarket Stant brand thermostats are known to be pretty crappy.

·
Registered
2002 outback, 2.5 L
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the help. Got a new thermostat and installed with no problems.

·
Meh.
I has wagons.
12,338 Posts
I love simple and easy fixes.:D

·
Superb Moderator, ,
MY12 WRX, MY07 FXT
6,184 Posts
^Well besides getting a bit of coolant on your arm, it's a bit easy I guess!!

;)

Brian

·
Meh.
I has wagons.
12,338 Posts
For me, easy usually equals my first attempt at fixing something.

Things are rarely easy...

·
Registered
1997 outback limited. 295,000 miles and counting
493 Posts
I replace mine every time i do the coolant. i do it just because it's cheap, easy, and can be pretty devastating when they fail

·
Registered
00 OB 07 OBXT
5,536 Posts
hopefully you've looked around here a bit and know to use an OEM t-stat and not a stant.

·
Registered
'00OBW, '96&'94 Legacy - all rusted RIP, current: 2016 Focus MT
4,804 Posts
That particular one is the power steering cooler. Probably doesn't do a whole lot in that position. It does have an ATF cooler in front of the condensor as well.

·
Premium Member
2004 Outback Wagon, Mystic Blue Pearl
4,940 Posts
porcupine73 said:
That particular one is the power steering cooler. Probably doesn't do a whole lot in that position. It does have an ATF cooler in front of the condensor as well.
Interesting, I didn't think most people started running power steering coolers till they got those 38" super swampers.

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
>>Interesting, I didn't think most people started running power steering coolers till they got those 38" super swampers.

hehe, yes just planning ahead......... :17:

·
Registered
2005 Outback 3.0L LL Bean
5 Posts
ETC said:
hopefully you've looked around here a bit and know to use an OEM t-stat and not a stant.
So I just installed a Stant Superstat in my 2005 Outback 3.0 prior to reading this. I have noticed that my Outback is running hotter than before and as a result, the fans are running almost constantly. I was hoping to save money by getting the Stant and their website sold me that I was getting a quality thermostat. Once I took the old one out and compared it to the new one, I was shocked (as seen the picture posted before).

Now I am trying to decide if I should take the Stant out and replace it with Subaru stat from the dealership.

I have seen other posts saying to avoid the Stant but has anyone had problems with those and am I putting more wear on my fans now that they are constantly running?

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
You also might have trapped air in the system depending on how you refilled the coolant. Also make sure the thermostat is in the correct direction, on the H4's anyway you can put the smaller stant ones in backwards whereas the genuine will not fit backwards. Not sure if that can happen on the H6.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I filled it with the car on ramps. So the front end was a foot off the ground. I am trying to bleed air out of the system by using advise I have found on other threads. I know I put it in correctly, as I made sure it was in the same way as the old one. I will keep trying to bleed air out. I tried last night and the car was still running hot.

The temp gauge is broken down into 5 sections with the main section in the middle. The car is running right below the top of the middle section which is right below the smaller section right before the red zone. Hope that makes sense. So it is not hitting the red zone nor the small section before that but is just running hotter than before.

I will keep playing with it otherwise, I am thinking of just replacing it again with the OEM and returning the Stant (since it does not appear to be working correctly).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Extremistno9 said:
I filled it with the car on ramps. So the front end was a foot off the ground. I am trying to bleed air out of the system by using advise I have found on other threads. I know I put it in correctly, as I made sure it was in the same way as the old one. I will keep trying to bleed air out. I tried last night and the car was still running hot.

The temp gauge is broken down into 5 sections with the main section in the middle. The car is running right below the top of the middle section which is right below the smaller section right before the red zone. Hope that makes sense. So it is not hitting the red zone nor the small section before that but is just running hotter than before.

I will keep playing with it otherwise, I am thinking of just replacing it again with the OEM and returning the Stant (since it does not appear to be working correctly).
Thanks all for the advise. I ended up taking the Stant t-stat out and replacing it with the OEM. The car is running perfectly now. I will make sure to stick with OEM replacement parts for now on!

·
Registered
'05 Outback
13 Posts
Thanks for posting the procedure, all is now good!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts