Subaru Outback Forums banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2013 outback 2.5 prem
135 Posts
In the past if i put oversized tires on a vehicle used used cardoc's method but i used sidewalk chalk and colored a section of tire. When the tire made contact with the pavement the chalk rubs off and you could see if the tire was over or under inflated. I did this in my drive way rolling back and forth. Works everytime.

·
Registered
2011 Tacoma TRD Sport Double Cab Long Box
2,893 Posts
For whatever it's worth, I just bought Geolandars from a local shop, Pittsfield Tire in Pittsfield, MA. I probably paid slightly more than I would if I ordered them from Tire Rack or the like and had them mounted, but the difference wasn't huge and I think the service I got more than makes up for it. They didn't look at me like I had two heads for wanting to put a tire like that on an Outback (in fact, they were very friendly from beginning to end and remembered my name and exactly why I was there the two additional times I went in). They got the tires in quickly, mounted them within hours of my bringing down my wheels even though I told them there was no rush since I wouldn't be using them until spring anyway. I put them on for a week just to see how I liked them and the balancing feels perfect.

You'll get inconsistencies across the chains no matter what chain it is, but it often pays to support the local businesses...in my experience they're almost always excellent!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Last set I ordered from Tire Rack (first time with them) and installed locally by "Expert Tire". This was on my "new to me" Honda S2000, and the store did a lifetime warranted alignment.. They zip the wheels on at about 20 lbs, then torque. They use a certified, or at least periodically re-adjusted tire gauge to which I regularly check mine. I check the torque at home, and my wrench is adjusted to my machine shop guys wrench. The torque always is right where it's supposed to be, though it's hard to say exactly..

I bought Barb's Outback tires there and added the lifetime alignment and I really like those guys.. I burned out on Les and his band of merry men. Reason: Way back I was watching for a sale on tires for my Nissan Sentra. They finally came on sale and the "sale price" was less than $1 per tire off. Enough..

21 - 23 of 23 Posts