Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2013 outback 2.5 prem
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our 3 week old outback has received it second dent from the other sister inlaw. The first is a minor door ding that is being fixed friday using a dent removal shop, now today my wife gets home from Fargo, ND and there is a dent in the door opening or the rear driver side. I guess while removing a baby seat it hit the area causing the dent. No paint damage mayne it can be fixed. Back to my question, is the sheet metal on the Outback thinner in some areas?

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited 2.5i/2018 Crosstrek limited
4,861 Posts
...uh huh...this has been mentioned before. All manufacturers are using thinner sheet metal these days. Makes the car lighter...and cheaper to produce. You are right, it does not take much to put a little ding in the door. Our OB has a couple of little dings in the door...parking lot vandels is what I call them. People open their doors with out thinking about what is parked next to them...buggers.

When I was a kid my parents had a 68 dodge polara. It was land yacht with metal so thick that you could hit them with a lot of stuff before they would dent. Those days are long gone.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Yes the Gen 4 Outbacks have very thin sheet metal, esp the doors. Look at the hood flap in the wind when you are on the highway.

I had 3 door dings within 6 months of owning the car. I had them removed by a Paintless dent removal guy who said he does tons of new Outbacks due to the thin skin.

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited
950 Posts
My dent guy said the Subaru has the thinnest panels he works with...I keep him on speed dial. lol

1 - 4 of 4 Posts