Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 349 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Outback touring XT, crazy Subaru idea of green
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried to see if there was a thread like this already, but could not find one. Since there may already be, I will only list one of my many gripes to start. Hopefully someone can steer me to a thread like this if one is already going. OK, one gripe I have is the little well in front of the gear knob where the two USB ports are. Why is it so narrow? I have small hands, yet I have a hard time getting my fingers down in it to grab whatever I put in there. In this case, chap stick. Its even hard to plug in the usb cable. And when there is a cable plugged in, it’s super hard to get your fingers down that crazy narrow opening!

·
Registered
2020 Touring XT, 2013 Outback Lim SAP 270K, 2003 Outback Lim MT 2.5L, 241K..
1,854 Posts
I tried to see if there was a thread like this already, but could not find one. Since there may already be, I will only list one of my many gripes to start. Hopefully someone can steer me to a thread like this if one is already going. OK, one gripe I have is the little well in front of the gear knob where the two USB ports are. Why is it so narrow? I have small hands, yet I have a hard time getting my fingers down in it to grab whatever I put in there. In this case, chap stick. Its even hard to plug in the usb cable. And when there is a cable plugged in, it’s super hard to get your fingers down that crazy narrow opening!
You need to get a USB cable with a right angle USB connector - so the cable doesnt stick out over the hole. Totally ridiculous design, esp considering Apple Play (I assume Google too) has to be plugged in to work. Like who came up with that idea and didnt think it through for actually USING the cubby once something is pulgged in.

Ok Ill add one.

Seat Heater buttons on the screen. Those buttons, take you to a second screen pop up, with a similar little button that actually change the seat heater setting.
Hey geniuses, why not just make the first button on the top screen be the ACTUAL BUTTON to adjust the setting?
You want to not show us album art on the screen while the car is moving to avoid driver distraction, but you will complicate the seat heaters to 2 levels of pages, instead of just making the first top level button be the actual button.

·
Registered
19 2.5i OB LTD w/SSD Strt Twr Brc + OEM 19mm RSB
1,304 Posts
Hey geniuses, why not just make the first button on the top screen be the ACTUAL BUTTON to adjust the setting?
You want to not show us album art on the screen while the car is moving to avoid driver distraction, but you will complicate the seat heaters to 2 levels of pages, instead of just making the first top level button be the actual button.
Simple Usability Engineering methods would have pointed this out, and it would have been fixed before being fielded. Lots of opportunity on a range of software issues for Subaru to up their game.

·
Registered
13 Posts
It’s even worse if you have the charging pad...although convenient, slender and hard to reach, especially if you are in park and reach to remove your phone. The cord issue drove me nuts for Apple Car Play, so

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited XT Black on Ivory
718 Posts
I get that. I have to reach in that slot facing backwards to install USB's. Along those lines my only suggestion for improvement would be to address the lack of decent driver/passenger accessible storage in general. I find all the front seat interior storage compartments undersized and of limited practical usage. Glove box is small. Console box is small. Passenger side console and over glove box slots are so narrow they struggle to hold a single pair of gloves. Slot with USB's not big enough for my mid sized cased cell phone. No recessed dash trays, fold out cup holders etc..... I just feel they could have been a bit more creative to add in this driver convenience feature.
That said, "it is what it is" and no vehicle is perfect. I'm willing to outfit my car like a minimalist backpacker as the rest of the package makes it worth well worth

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited XT Black on Ivory
718 Posts
It’s even worse if you have the charging pad...although convenient, slender and hard to reach, especially if you are in park and reach to remove your phone. The cord issue drove me nuts for Apple Car Play, so View attachment 476263
Agreed, I have a cased cell phone with no wireless charging capability yet the charging pad came with the car. I am thinking about uninstalling the pad just to get that 1/4" back.
p.s. I've found a 1' cableworks well too.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I do miss having a slightly larger console than I do now. I love the OB over all and have had it for only a couple of weeks, but I’m having to get real creative with storage without buying one of the storage crates for the back.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Seat Heater buttons on the screen. Those buttons, take you to a second screen pop up, with a similar little button that actually change the seat heater setting.
This so much. I have told my wife the exact same thing about the seat heater button.

·
Registered
‘20 Outback XT Limited, ‘01 Honda S2000
49 Posts
You need to get a USB cable with a right angle USB connector - so the cable doesnt stick out over the hole. Totally ridiculous design, esp considering Apple Play (I assume Google too) has to be plugged in to work. Like who came up with that idea and didnt think it through for actually USING the cubby once something is pulgged in.

Ok Ill add one.

The seat heater buttons is my biggest complaint all the move to all touch screen for HVAC. Just awful design.

·
Registered
2020 Outback
197 Posts
The seat heater buttons is my biggest complaint all the move to all touch screen for HVAC. Just awful design.
I can live with the HVAC controls, I don’t like it, but since there’s physical buttons for temp up/down I’ll make the best of it. But having to go to a sub-menu to adjust the heated seats when there’s a dedicated button to get to the sub-menu? There wasn’t ONE person involved in the touch screen layout who stopped and said “hmmm, maybe we could simplify this process so it’s safer to adjust while driving...”??

...and yeah, the usb jacks thing.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Touring XT
87 Posts
It’s even worse if you have the charging pad...although convenient, slender and hard to reach, especially if you are in park and reach to remove your phone. The cord issue drove me nuts for Apple Car Play, so View attachment 476263
Bought the same one along with a magnet mount that sticks just to the inside of the top of the cubby on the passenger side. Waiting for ProClip’s to release a proper mount.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited XT, w/ PP2+
185 Posts
Agreed, I have a cased cell phone with no wireless charging capability yet the charging pad came with the car. I am thinking about uninstalling the pad just to get that 1/4" back.
I purchased an inexpensive, and really low profile, charging pad on Amazon for less than $10. I installed it in the upper tray of the center console cubby and power it with the 12v outlet in the lower compartment of the cubby. My cased iPhone XS and aforementioned charging pad fit just fine on the upper tray! Problem solved and no need to spend $150 for the Subaru Charging pad....

Edit: Adding link to charging pad.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Seems like an easy fix, if Subaru ever releases a UI firmware update. I've been spoiled by the at least twice monthly Telsa UI updates....

·
Registered
185 Posts
My pet peeves include;

1. Those mentioned already (seat heaters, etc.)
2. Start-Stop; make it stop!
3. Overly light steering feel in the XT Limited
4. 2.4T cabin noise intrusion as compared to the older 3.6R
5. Buggy UI

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Wait, did I miss a feature that’s on the Outback that I missed? There’s an inductive charger built it in someone in the front?

·
Registered
2016 2.5i
1,611 Posts
I purchased an inexpensive, and really low profile, charging pad on Amazon for less than $10. I installed it in the upper tray of the center console cubby and power it with the 12v outlet in the lower compartment of the cubby. My cased iPhone XS and aforementioned charging pad fit just fine on the upper tray! Problem solved and no need to spend $150 for the Subaru Charging pad....

Edit: Adding link to charging pad.
Got a picture with the pad installed?
Thanks!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Ok Ill add one.

I am going to add comments to the gripes I was going to list one by one, but someone mentions it before me. This is one on them. Not only is it a tedious way to get to the seat heater button, but the seat heater compared to my previous car (2013 VW Jetta) just isn’t as good. Either that, or my old butt takes more heat to get it warmed up than it did 5 years ago!

1 - 20 of 349 Posts