Subaru Outback Forums banner

341 - 360 of 399 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited XT Black on Ivory
1,603 Posts
The inability to dial a phone from the display is a fatal flaw for me. Is there anyway to remove the nanny? If not, the vehicle is going back today. View attachment 479452
You can use voice command to dial known /stored numbers. I'm not sure if you can just tell it a number to dial. Havn't needed to do that.

·
Registered
2020 Limted XT Black/Ivory
498 Posts
Not Volvo
Then get a Volvo? I fail to see how not showing a keypad on the screen for the phone is a fatal flaw justifying the return of a car, but you do you.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Or bluetooth, or CarPlay/AA
Regardless of the phone is connected by Bluetooth or CarPlay, the car’s nannies prevent the 11” display dial pad from being used. Majority of my time in a car is on conference calls which include pressing pin codes, etc. If there is a way to disable, please tell me. Siri, voice commands, or other workarounds are not an option.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Yes, The news ( admitedly not always 100% accurate) has been reporting that you can't even handle the phone if your pulled over and stopped on the side of the road. You must be in a parking lot. I don't doubt it. Typical MA legislation. They take a good idea and sprinkle it liberally with stupidity. So now when our NAVSYSTEM chokes, I need to find a parking lot before I can bring up google maps. ...

·
Registered
285 Posts
Once you start a call the keypad button works while moving which brings up the keypad and you can enter codes then. So conference calls, IVR, etc. should not be an issue.
The PIN part is correct, but initiating/dialing a call is still prohibited using the touch screen.

Starting a new thread about Massachusetts hands free law and Subaru’s arbitrary and overreaching restrictions.

·
Registered
2020 Abyss Blue Pearl OB XT
267 Posts
Oh yea, one more thing to add to the dislike list. Why is it that everyone just assumes you are a liberal if you drive an Outback?
I'm really OK with you not being worried about your wrinkly old Jag. And, I'm pretty sure I'm entitled to be miffed about my fat wrinkles on a new Outback with 450 miles. No worries, it's the dealer's problem to solve. (also, I'm barely 200 lbs, so not stressing the seat's weight limits) :confused:

View attachment 479470

(Pic updated. At 550 miles, the wrinkles are literally creasing, and the left leg bolster is folding over/collapsing)
That's bad. Good luck with the fix.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Pretty long list of cons after just 2 hours of ownership.....
Drove it a bit more today and updated my pros / cons;

• The Bluetooth music streaming is good after adjusting settings from my iPhone Xs
  • The brakes started to feel better after about 50 miles
However, the inability to dial a phone call without using voice commands while the vehicle is in motion actually impacts me legally.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Touring XT Magnetite Gray Metallic / Java Brown Leather
379 Posts
I agree! Just installed mine on my (loaded) 2020 Touring XT yesterday. Having done so, I'm not sure I understand why the Subaru logic is that they only work when the parking lights and/or headlights are on, and don't illuminate when you open the door, à la dome lights.
Did I understand you that they don't work when you open the door? Well then, I won't miss them. That's what I want them for.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I'm really OK with you not being worried about your wrinkly old Jag. And, I'm pretty sure I'm entitled to be miffed about my fat wrinkles on a new Outback with 450 miles. No worries, it's the dealer's problem to solve. (also, I'm barely 200 lbs, so not stressing the seat's weight limits) :confused:

View attachment 479470

(Pic updated. At 550 miles, the wrinkles are literally creasing, and the left leg bolster is folding over/collapsing)
Let us know the outcome. TIA

·
Premium Member
2020 Touring XT
319 Posts
Did I understand you that they don't work when you open the door? Well then, I won't miss them. That's what I want them for.

That is correct. And, I wanted them for the same purpose, so you can go ahead and not miss them at my expense. ;)

I do really enjoy the Outback (which is my first Subaru) but on some of the finer points like this it seems like there's really something missing at Subaru especially when it comes to personal choice and providing options that are generally found in other cars at the same or even lesser price point. I don't really think it is about cost management; it seems more like a disconnect with American consumer preferences, analysis of Subaru's competitive set, and perhaps little or no investment by Subaru in ethnography here in North America.

Still, you gotta love the powertrain and chassis on the 2020; at least I do!

·
Registered
379 Posts
That is correct. And, I wanted them for the same purpose, so you can go ahead and not miss them at my expense. ;)

I do really enjoy the Outback (which is my first Subaru) but on some of the finer points like this it seems like there's really something missing at Subaru especially when it comes to personal choice and providing options that are generally found in other cars at the same or even lesser price point. I don't really think it is about cost management; it seems more like a disconnect with American consumer preferences, analysis of Subaru's competitive set, and perhaps little or no investment by Subaru in ethnography here in North America.

Still, you gotta love the powertrain and chassis on the 2020; at least I do!
My 4th FWIW. '90 Legacy, 2001 OB Bauer edition, 2015 OB LTD and now this 2020 XT Touring. The few things that are missing are minimal IMO, but that's me and I thank you again for the heads up on the footwell lights.? I've always said Subies are a little quirky and YUP they do march to a different drummer.

·
Registered
2016 2.5i Premium / 2020 2.5i Premium
2,038 Posts
Here's What Really 'Drives' Democrats And Republicans

"According to a study conducted by the market research firm Strategic Vision, the five most popular models among Republicans are big domestic pickup trucks with – no surprise here – the industry sales-leading Ford F-150 being the most prevalent red-state ride. Democrats, on the other hand, favor the Subaru Outback crossover above all other vehicles, with Independents instead preferring that model’s less-costly showroom sibling, the Forester."

I hate that they call it a "crossover" ?
I drive an F-150, and we have an Outback, soon to be two.
What does that make me? A swing voter? :)

·
Registered
2020 Outback XT Limited - Magnetite Grey/Black
47 Posts
You can use voice command to dial known /stored numbers. I'm not sure if you can just tell it a number to dial. Havn't needed to do that.
Correct I just use the voice command to tell my wife coming back from fishing trip it worked great better than the one in my Acura.

·
Registered
2020 Outback XT Limited
34 Posts
Yes, The news ( admitedly not always 100% accurate) has been reporting that you can't even handle the phone if your pulled over and stopped on the side of the road. You must be in a parking lot. I don't doubt it. Typical MA legislation. They take a good idea and sprinkle it liberally with stupidity. So now when our NAVSYSTEM chokes, I need to find a parking lot before I can bring up google maps. ...
This part is FUD. The legislation says "an operator shall not be considered to be operating a motor vehicle if the vehicle is stationary and not located in a part of the public way intended for travel by a motor vehicle or bicycle". Except for the added mention of bicycles, this is the same wording as the existing texting-while-driving statute. The RMV's info page similarly says "Handheld use is allowed only if the vehicle is both stationary and not located in a public travel lane or a bicycle lane, but is not allowed at red lights or stop signs". Pulling over on the shoulder is fine.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
This part is FUD. The legislation says "an operator shall not be considered to be operating a motor vehicle if the vehicle is stationary and not located in a part of the public way intended for travel by a motor vehicle or bicycle". Except for the added mention of bicycles, this is the same wording as the existing texting-while-driving statute. The RMV's info page similarly says "Handheld use is allowed only if the vehicle is both stationary and not located in a public travel lane or a bicycle lane, but is not allowed at red lights or stop signs". Pulling over on the shoulder is fine.
That's one interpritation. However, last I checked the breakdown lane and/or shoulder is intended for use by crippled vehicles or bicycles. Some areas are even marked as bike paths these days. So we are back to what a particular cop feels on a particular day.....

341 - 360 of 399 Posts