Subaru Outback Forums banner

381 - 399 of 399 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx XT
2,569 Posts
For android auto, the not letting you dial on screen is annoying. By no means a game changer for me.

When my Onyx comes in, it will be the first car I've ever had with Android auto. On my current car, I do conference calls and such occasionally, and bluetooth calls a lot. For most friends, I used voice commands to make calls. And if they call me, you just pick up on the steering wheel. I'm pretty sure I'll still be able to do that. But for conference calls I had to pull over, dial in, put in the numbers and such on my phone, and then drive. I wasn't sure how it will work in this car, but from what I'm understanding, it will be the same. Oh well.

My main interest in android auto is maps. I got a no-nav version, and am hoping I can run maps from the phone onto the screen. If it doesn't work, then I guess I'll buy a $100 garmin, which is still way better than the $1800 the dealer wanted for navigation installed. Likely be a better system than OEM anyway.
You can dial and enter numbers using the key pad while moving when Android Auto is connected.

·
Registered
6 Posts
One of my few disappointments:

Why are the fan speed “buttons” on the touchscreen so **** small? They are 2 to 3 times smaller then every other “button” on the touchscreen.

And why does the reduce fan speed button have to be so close to the giant on/off button?

These fan speed buttons are the most used buttons on the touchscreen for me. It’s hard to get a good “press” and hard to avoid the on/off switch.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Another disappointment / wish:

I wish there was a button on the touchscreen to momentarily activate the rear view camera display. This would aid parking situations where you are driving forward into a parking spot where you need your back bumper to just pass a certain point (like your garage door, or white line of a parking spot that you are pulling through / into).

Other manufacturers do this with vehicles less expensive and older model years than our Outbacks.

·
Registered
2020 Outback
185 Posts

I wish there was a button on the touchscreen to momentarily activate the rear view camera display. This would aid parking situations where you are driving forward into a parking spot where you need your back bumper to just pass a certain point (like your garage door, or white line of a parking spot that you are pulling through / into).

Other manufacturers do this with vehicles less expensive and older model years than out Outbacks.

Other manufacturers do this with vehicles less expensive and older model years than out Outbacks.
Yes, a rear view camera display activated by the touch screen would be useful and it would be so easy to configure with a software update.

·
Premium Member
2020 Touring XT
319 Posts

I don't mess around with voice commands much and I don't really change my climate control out of my Driver Profile but there is an option to the tiny buttons on the screen that I remember seeing and I just dug it up out of my Starlink manual. Here's the voice commands available which I hope is helpful:

🧐

·
Registered
2020 Outback
185 Posts
I forgot about the voice commands - probably because you are required to use very specific wording, and Starlink isn't as coherent as Amazon Echo (Alexa).

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited XT Black on Ivory
1,603 Posts
I don't mess around with voice commands much and I don't really change my climate control out of my Driver Profile but there is an option to the tiny buttons on the screen that I remember seeing and I just dug it up out of my Starlink manual. Here's the voice commands available which I hope is helpful:

View attachment 489674
🧐
Bingo! I use the last two commands regularly. It is as reliable as a hammer and requires no break in concentration /hunting on the screen. Do wish they would add "Heated Seats to < setting> " to voice command though.

·
Registered
36 Posts

Why are the fan speed “buttons” on the touchscreen so **** small? They are 2 to 3 times smaller then every other “button” on the touchscreen.
I read on these forums that the 504 update makes the fan speed buttons bigger. Do you have 504 installed?

·
Registered
10 Posts
"You can dial and enter numbers using the key pad while moving" ... Sounds like a very bad idea to me.
The problem is that your passenger can't even do the dialing on a keypad while you are driving. Maybe they could enable the keypad when the passenger seat is occupied.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx XT
2,569 Posts
The problem is that your passenger can't even do the dialing on a keypad while you are driving. Maybe they could enable the keypad when the passenger seat is occupied.
Nah, I drive alone and I can dial numbers on android auto. Mind you I use google assistant to make calls but the option to dial numbers is there.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Nah, I drive alone and I can dial numbers on android auto. Mind you I use google assistant to make calls but the option to dial numbers is there.
But you have to have the phone plugged into USB for that to work, right? If the phone is in my jeans pocket, I can't get it out to let the passenger dial a number (or if I did, it'd be way more dangerous than me dialing on the screen).

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx XT
2,569 Posts
But you have to have the phone plugged into USB for that to work, right? If the phone is in my jeans pocket, I can't get it out to let the passenger dial a number (or if I did, it'd be way more dangerous than me dialing on the screen).
It is dangerous to dial the number while driving, I was just mentioning that unlike iOS, Android allows you to dial a number while driving. I believe you can even dial a number with only Bluetooth, without plugging in the phone.

·
Registered
20 Outback Premium
725 Posts

And why does the reduce fan speed button have to be so close to the giant on/off button?

These fan speed buttons are the most used buttons on the touchscreen for me. It’s hard to get a good “press” and hard to avoid the on/off switch.
We never use the fan speed. Instead we leave it on Auto and change the temperature with the big buttons on the side, which automatically changes the fan speed as necessary. Overall the climate control systems on our 19 and 20 Outbacks have been some of the best of all the vehicles we've ever owned. Bonus: the car cools down very fast, which is a big deal during the summer in Phoenix.

·
Registered
2020 Touring XT, 2013 Outback Lim SAP 270K, 2003 Outback Lim MT 2.5L, 241K..
2,157 Posts
Recent complaint...
The mysubaru app remote start not having a way of turning on the seat cooling, only the heaters (?!)
Now that summer is here and my car is a billion degrees inside when I get in it, that remote start does a nice job of cooling it down a little before I enter, but this would help cool the seats a bit too.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx XT
2,569 Posts
We never use the fan speed. Instead we leave it on Auto and change the temperature with the big buttons on the side, which automatically changes the fan speed as necessary. Overall the climate control systems on our 19 and 20 Outbacks have been some of the best of all the vehicles we've ever owned. Bonus: the car cools down very fast, which is a big deal during the summer in Phoenix.
That's what I do, I use the temperature buttons to control fan speed. Another advantage of this method is it won't drop you out of Full Auto mode when you change fan speed.

·
Registered
2020 Limted XT Black/Ivory
498 Posts
I would say infotainment system but it goes way beyond dislike.......
Have you updated it? The 504 update fixes most of the gripes people have had with it.

381 - 399 of 399 Posts