Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
501 - 520 of 573 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
2021 Outback Ltd.

Also agree with the original post that the center console (in front of gear shift) storage space is child-friendly -- and that's about the only person who can comfortably reach in there.

it's easier to get dropped coins out from under the front seat than to reach coins -- or anything -- stored in there. The down and under reach is so awkward. And it's no help to have that opening further shrunk by the USB and audio cable i have leading to my ipod, which is parked in one of cup holders for lack of a better, reachable space.

(To eliminate a cable jungle, i bought inexpensive USB and audio cables that have a round, retractable center piece so only a few inches of wire are exposed.)

Overall, ALL the front-seat storage spots are worthless. Nothing seems to stay put in that one to the right front of the gear shiftshift. Same for the shallow, low-height shelf over the glove box. I'm not sure what it was intended to hold.

The glove box, as most are, is worthless. The bulky, 500-page manual consumes a full 50% of it, and anything else you put in there must be shifted 2 or 3 times before the door will close.

The door pockets, as others have mentioned, are weird. In my last car (2007 Mazda6), i could get TWO bottles of water (1 particularly being a wider, 16oz Gatorade bottle) in each door with room to spare for wadded up garbage. The outback holds one bottle, then narrows into a slot that might hold, i dunno, a couple road maps.

I thought at first i had another coin bin at lower left, but that is the fuse box. I guess you can buy some kind of coin-box insert door. Otherwise, you'd literally be putting a penny in the fuse box; not good.

The arm rest, with it shallow upper chamber, is normal and adequate. But otherwise, i'm really disappointed at the lack of useful storage space in the front seat compartment. I know the controls consume tons of space, but this is just worthless nooks and crannies outfitted as if they would do any good.

·
Registered
2021 Outback Touring, 2015 Outback (sold), 2019 Toyota LC 200, 1998 Toyota LC 100, 1987 Toyota FJ60
768 Posts
I was unaware that there is any question about the resilience and performance of the AWD. So anyway, you've been around here for 6 years, so you most likely know if you post a specific issue, there's going to be someone who will guide you through whatever solutions you aren't able to find through a Forum search.
The AWD issue I have is related to the software leveraged to protect the CVT. I drive my Outback on fire roads, long stretches of gravel, and some nasty trails (though no deep mud or rock crawling). For instance, on many occasions while driving off-road on dry but loose surface, on a slope, the software will cut all power to the wheels. No matter what the setting on X-Mode or the traction control system, this happens at the wrong time. This was never a problem on the earlier Outbacks or my 2010 Forester. Just something I need to remember when I choose which vehicle to take on a given day or trip.

·
Premium Member
2020 Touring XT
758 Posts
The glove box, as most are, is worthless.
You’re right, the gigantic manual eats up a lot of storage space. I downloaded PDF’s of all the manuals from the Subaru ‘For Owners’ Vehicle Resources on the Subaru website and put them on my phone. My paper owner's manuals are in my house but any time I want to look up anything the PDF is right there and the benefit of the PDF is you can search for the term you want and quickly get to it.

·
Premium Member
2020 Touring XT
758 Posts
For instance, on many occasions while driving off-road on dry but loose surface, on a slope, the software will cut all power to the wheels.
Wow. I have been following this Forum and one other for more than a year and watched a lot of reviews and this is the first time I have ever heard of such a thing. That’s interesting and a little bit concerning at the same time. I wonder if anyone here like @SilverOnyx or @chvvkumar has any insight. Those guys are smarter than me.
:unsure:

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
13,455 Posts
I haven't experienced it but in certain conditions I have seen videos where even with your foot to the floor the engine is not allowed to power out of a situation even in X-mode, on a loose surface or where you don't have all 4 wheels on the ground. In those videos I've seen the car will eventually crawl away but it seems to take time for the computer to get to a mode where it will move. The second X-mode is supposed to be better at that, or X-mode plus turning traction control off.

But there are surely members who have encountered ice or deep snow up a grade - what is your experience?

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
There’s a few off-roadey type of people that seem to fry them by remaining stationary but giving it some gas. At slow speeds the fluid heats up quickly. I’m sure this creates problems with the transmission fluid over a short time. Brucey probably has seen it in person with the AT Temp light… @Brucey

Anyway, if you need a vehicle that’s purpose built like what you said you probably need to look at something more applicable to off-road tasks rather than a versatile Jack of all like Outback.

Reactions: 2020XT

·
Registered
28 Posts
Constant beeping. Everything beeps. Drives me nuts. Also the power tailgate. Mine opens on its own when my keys arena my pocket. But it doesn't always open when I need it to as it seems to have either over-active safety features on opening and closing or there is something binding.
And the doors have to be unlocked and in park to open the trunk.

·
Premium Member
2020 Outback Onyx XT
3,694 Posts
Wow. I have been following this Forum and one other for more than a year and watched a lot of reviews and this is the first time I have ever heard of such a thing. That’s interesting and a little bit concerning at the same time. I wonder if anyone here like @SilverOnyx or @chvvkumar has any insight. Those guys are smarter than me.
:unsure:
Did some off-roads but haven't experienced wheels losing power. Not sure what is going on or off it's the low end lack of torque that is manifesting as such.

·
Registered
2013 Outback 3.6R
2 Posts
Ok, Almost every complaint I have has been mentioned except I haven't seen these:
160 mph speedo - the car won't go that fast and most speed limits where I am are 25, 35, 45, 55 and 65. The speeds that are difficult to read because the markings are so small. Put in a 120 mph speedo and spread out the numbers so they're readable.
Making Safety features like Reverse Automatic Braking an option that is bundled with Moonroof and Navigation. All the Safety features should be available w/o needing to buy luxury (and in this case two worthless options). If Subaru was really believing in their advertising about producing some of the safest cars they would do this.
Automatic Liftgate - my Acura TSX Wagon didn't care if I opened/closed the liftgate manually or automatically. If it was raining it was faster to do it manually.

·
Premium Member
2020 White Limited Hybrid
473 Posts
LOL...no surprise on the political leanings of Vette owners and Volvo owners.

Some on this forum would go crazy if there was off topic sub-forum similar to that on the Corvette forum.
My niece told me Subarus are Hippy Cars - I['m good with that as I qualify.

Reactions: 1stNewOutback

·
Registered
Outback 2021 Premium 2.5L
473 Posts
My niece told me Subarus are Hippy Cars - I['m good with that as I qualify.
Ask her if shes secretly jealous... no answer is tge right answer... its what uncles do.

Reactions: bloomz

·
Registered
8 Posts
Have had my '20 Outback Limited 2.5 for one year today and in all am very happy with it. That said, there are a few things that bug me:
  1. The horn is a joke, sounds like a clown horn, had to hit it 4 times the other day to wake someone up who was texting through a green light.
  2. Cup holders are too small and indents in the doors are too.
  3. The "Auto" HVAC isn't. I live in Phoenix, on my 16 year old Volvo, I set the HVAC at 70 and never touched it again. In the Outback one day it's cold, the next it's too hot, it's annoying.
  4. Steering is too light at highway speeds.
  5. The rear door auto open button on the dash only works with the car in park and doors unlocked which took me a long time to figure out, annoying.
That said, I really enjoy the car, love the mpg, the comfort, and the versatility with a family.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I downloaded PDF’s of all the manuals from the Subaru ‘For Owners’ Vehicle Resources on the Subaru website and put them on my phone.
I, too, downloaded PDFs and have found it invaluable to be able to search them. Not sure if i forwarded them to my phone, but for some archaic reason i still feel better having paper manuals in the car. it is sad, though, to waste prime real estate for years on them just for that one, off time you need to know how to change a flat or reset something.

They ought to invent an under-seat storage spot.

·
Registered
'21 Onyx Ice Metallic Silver
106 Posts
You’re right, the gigantic manual eats up a lot of storage space. I downloaded PDF’s of all the manuals from the Subaru ‘For Owners’ Vehicle Resources on the Subaru website and put them on my phone. My paper owner's manuals are in my house but any time I want to look up anything the PDF is right there and the benefit of the PDF is you can search for the term you want and quickly get to it.
I've never kept the owner's manual to any of my vehicles in the glove box, for the very reason that they always take up too much room. Throw it in door slot (especially rear door) or under the seat. You're hopefully not going to be accessing it that often so it doesn't need to be readily at your fingertips. Once you eliminate the manual, the glove box is plenty adequate.

·
Premium Member
473 Posts
Feeling left out, so have to come up with something - lol

I guess I can count myself lucky when I bought my nused outback, I got no manuals. I had them in the closet here for 8 years with my Hybrid Highlander, never got them out once. The 17 I had for a month had a gawdawful stack of them, but I learned everything I needed from youtube - which also drove me to buy a Gen 6.

So the driver recognition thing - after a month with this car and the silly keep your eyes on the road when I scratch my head.....I'm beginning to think it's a bit of a gimmick, just like I thought the Lane Keep was cool until I used it for a month and realized it just ping ponged - and now I know lane centering is a whole evolution.

But I'm thinking of turning it off - sure it's cute, and the seat adjustment is cute, but I also can just push the button on the door. (Oh I did change my name to "Handsome", which makes it all the cuter).

So that's my contribution to the gripe fest - which I honestly find entertaining tho there is quite a bit of "milking mice" in it.\

Ahh, if the whole world would just listen to me [/rave]

·
Premium Member
473 Posts
OK, I mentioned milking mice earlier. I saw a bunch of gripes about the Safety Nag Screen (or whatever it is) when you first start the car.

So I timed it 3 times today with a 1,001, 10002, 1003 etc.

FIVE SECONDS.

501 - 520 of 573 Posts