Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
541 - 560 of 573 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm a week away from unloading a TRD Pro Tacoma for an OBW. Previous vehicle was T4R Trail Premium. While the T4R severely lacked in creature comforts, the fit and finish were unmatched compared to the Tacoma. And I thought this TRDP Tacoma would be my last vehicle for a while, but the trans and JBL sound system are unbearable. Hoping the OBW keeps me entertained long enough for the Tacoma to resolve those 2 (kinda significant) issues.

And this wouldn't even be a consideration if the Tacoma trade-in wasn't a couple grand more than what I paid for it. This will be my 2nd Outback.
If you disliked the behavior of the transmission in the tacoma you will absolutely hate the outback's cvt. There is a TSB for the transmission in the tacoma that makes it about 90% better. Just ask your dealer to update the transmission software, if they don't do it then find a new dealer.

·
Registered
18 Posts
If you disliked the behavior of the transmission in the tacoma you will absolutely hate the outback's cvt. There is a TSB for the transmission in the tacoma that makes it about 90% better. Just ask your dealer to update the transmission software, if they don't do it then find a new dealer.
Had the TSB. And tuned. I’m fairly familiar with Subaru’s CVT, and did about 12k miles over the summer in my wife’s Chrysler CVT. While not as slick as the trans that was in the V60 CC I drove for a bit, none were as frustrating as the Tacoma’s transmission. I just don’t understand it.

·
Registered
291 Posts
As an Outback owner who is disappointed with the car not meeting expectations it's valuable information for those who might consider a Subaru in the future. Cobb tunes have improved the transmission behavior for Ascent owners and they're working on bringing their programming to the Outback XT.
I will say this though. The car drives great compared to a 4R and Jeep. I love the suspension. Handles big pot holes and bad roads and is great off road. I love how easy it is to get my dog in and out and that frankly is a huge reason I bought it. The CVT is what I hate, but maybe a tune will make it better. I will keep that in mind. And all the safety features are annoying. Unless the safety features lifts my car in the air to avoid a t-bone then I don't need a car to correct my mistakes.

·
Registered
2010/2016 outback
1,059 Posts
Had the TSB. And tuned. I’m fairly familiar with Subaru’s CVT, and did about 12k miles over the summer in my wife’s Chrysler CVT. While not as slick as the trans that was in the V60 CC I drove for a bit, none were as frustrating as the Tacoma’s transmission. I just don’t understand it.
To each his own but I still don't understand the Tacoma fascination. Somebody I believe just paid over 5k msrp for one. Talk about a uncomfortable touch and a herky- jerky trans. You will like the OB

·
Registered
2020 Defender
404 Posts
@-dustin Just to clarify, was "I’m fairly familiar with Subaru’s CVT" with a 2020+ Outback XT? If not, definitely try to spend some time with a rental / test drives, etc first. I had many miles with naturally aspirated Outbacks including the 3.6, the CVT and powertrain was ok. With the XT, the combination of the turbo and cvt very inconsistent. Around town was painful. Conversely, any Volvo product (we have a 2020 XC40 and my profile pic vehicle) is superior in every way including an infotainment that actually works, unobtrusive safety, and as you mentioned butter smooth powertrain. Plus with the Volvo, you get 3/36k service included.

·
Registered
18 Posts
@-dustin Just to clarify, was "I’m fairly familiar with Subaru’s CVT" with a 2020+ Outback XT? If not, definitely try to spend some time with a rental / test drives, etc first. I had many miles with naturally aspirated Outbacks including the 3.6, the CVT and powertrain was ok. With the XT, the combination of the turbo and cvt very inconsistent. Around town was painful. Conversely, any Volvo product (we have a 2020 XC40 and my profile pic vehicle) is superior in every way including an infotainment that actually works, unobtrusive safety, and as you mentioned butter smooth powertrain. Plus with the Volvo, you get 3/36k service included.
Ah, gotcha. No, it was the 2.5 whatever that came in gen 4s.

The center console/ dash setup in my V60 was unmatched. It was pre-touch screen, so everything had a button, including the full number pad. I loved that thing.

·
Registered
18 Posts
To each his own but I still don't understand the Tacoma fascination. Somebody I believe just paid over 5k msrp for one. Talk about a uncomfortable touch and a herky- jerky trans. You will like the OB
I’ve got local Subaru dealers adding a $6k markup on OBWs. Mind boggling.

My preference for Tacomas goes back to my first one in 1999 as a senior in high school. I test drove a lot of vehicles, but really, really liked the shallow seating position of the Tacoma. 22yrs later and it’s still a seating position I prefer in a truck. On top of that, it does everything well, but is superior at nothing really, except resale.

But these 3rd gens…that transmission, man.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Coming from a gen4 4Runner, I haven't a clue what any of you are talking about. The 4Runner drives like a house boat powered by two rubber bands. The OBW is a Lamborghini in comparison.

·
Registered
27 Posts
So true, lol! I had a 5th gen (2012) SR5 and the brake dive EVEN WITH a stiffer and lifted suspension is just ridiculous and unsafe. My 2020 Onyx and my new Wilderness are so much more refined, faster, practical. I enjoyed my 2012 Xterra Pro-4x as well and if I ever need a solid rear axle again it would likely be back to the new frontier or if they use that new chassis for an Xterra, then one of those.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Coming from a gen4 4Runner, I haven't a clue what any of you are talking about. The 4Runner drives like a house boat powered by two rubber bands. The OBW is a Lamborghini in comparison.
I agree the Outback drives better than the 4R, but some of us love simplicity, predictability and reliability. My Wilderness are definitely not the first two and I won't ever find out if its reliable long term. The Outback is just annoying with all its tech, CVT and 'safety" features. The outback fits my daily lifestyle. I just like the 4R better than anything I've ever owned.

·
Registered
291 Posts
So true, lol! I had a 5th gen (2012) SR5 and the brake dive EVEN WITH a stiffer and lifted suspension is just ridiculous and unsafe. My 2020 Onyx and my new Wilderness are so much more refined, faster, practical. I enjoyed my 2012 Xterra Pro-4x as well and if I ever need a solid rear axle again it would likely be back to the new frontier or if they use that new chassis for an Xterra, then one of those.
Funny you mention the Pro-4X. I have looked at paying cash for one, but they are going for over $23K with almost 100K miles. I prefer to drive a vehicle without all the "nanny" systems.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I rely on the nanny systems, specifically the driver aids, a LOT. And most cars, i'm guessing the newer versions of the 4runner/tacoma have all of those too. If i was still 'overlanding' I would also vote for simplicity, but that's almost impossible to find anymore or you have to pay a simplicity tax mostly due to demand. The pro-4x as an example, people want those vehicles now, just like the 4th and 5th gen 4runners because of their solid rear axle, etc. the other side of it are vehicles like the bronco, you can get a bare bones... one without all the bells and whistles OTHER than the offroad bells and whistles. But you end up paying 45k+ if you opt for waiting 1-2years for your reservation to be built. Or you can spend 20-30k over MSRP to get one today.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I get that. I have to reach in that slot facing backwards to install USB's. Along those lines my only suggestion for improvement would be to address the lack of decent driver/passenger accessible storage in general. I find all the front seat interior storage compartments undersized and of limited practical usage. Glove box is small. Console box is small. Passenger side console and over glove box slots are so narrow they struggle to hold a single pair of gloves. Slot with USB's not big enough for my mid sized cased cell phone. No recessed dash trays, fold out cup holders etc..... I just feel they could have been a bit more creative to add in this driver convenience feature.
That said, "it is what it is" and no vehicle is perfect. I'm willing to outfit my car like a minimalist backpacker as the rest of the package makes it worth well worth
It seems as though any accounted-for space was deemed to be a storage slot, just because.

I have a USB charging cable and an audio cable entering the mid-dash ports, which means it's even more impossible to wiggle anything more than a child's fingers down into the storage slot there. I have a couple McDonald's salt packets tossed in there and went to retrieve one the other night when i bought some fries from a drive-through. Grabbing and retrieving one of them was like trying to catch a trout with bare hands.

none of the dash or door slots is of any real size value. And the 5# manual consumes the glove box, so forget that.

·
Registered
291 Posts
It seems as though any accounted-for space was deemed to be a storage slot, just because.

I have a USB charging cable and an audio cable entering the mid-dash ports, which means it's even more impossible to wiggle anything more than a child's fingers down into the storage slot there. I have a couple McDonald's salt packets tossed in there and went to retrieve one the other night when i bought some fries from a drive-through. Grabbing and retrieving one of them was like trying to catch a trout with bare hands.

none of the dash or door slots is of any real size value. And the 5# manual consumes the glove box, so forget that.
storage in the front is completely useless. Tiny center console. Useless cup holders for bottles. Nothing in the door. And like you said the ridiculously large manual takes up the glovebox.

·
Registered
134 Posts
As mentioned elsewhere, the manual fits nicely in the spare tire wheel well.
I may have to do that, because otherwise the glove compartment is dead storage in prime space for the upcoming decade. I'll have to put a note to myself in the glove box, as that's the first place people expect to find it.

otherwise, it consumes a good 2/3 of the width and all the height of the already-small compartment.

541 - 560 of 573 Posts