Subaru Outback Forums banner

Things I dislike about my 2020 Outback

132K views 599 replies 174 participants last post by  23WhiteOnyx 
#1 ·
I tried to see if there was a thread like this already, but could not find one. Since there may already be, I will only list one of my many gripes to start. Hopefully someone can steer me to a thread like this if one is already going. OK, one gripe I have is the little well in front of the gear knob where the two USB ports are. Why is it so narrow? I have small hands, yet I have a hard time getting my fingers down in it to grab whatever I put in there. In this case, chap stick. Its even hard to plug in the usb cable. And when there is a cable plugged in, it’s super hard to get your fingers down that crazy narrow opening!

#2 ·
You need to get a USB cable with a right angle USB connector - so the cable doesnt stick out over the hole. Totally ridiculous design, esp considering Apple Play (I assume Google too) has to be plugged in to work. Like who came up with that idea and didnt think it through for actually USING the cubby once something is pulgged in.

Ok Ill add one.

Seat Heater buttons on the screen. Those buttons, take you to a second screen pop up, with a similar little button that actually change the seat heater setting.
Hey geniuses, why not just make the first button on the top screen be the ACTUAL BUTTON to adjust the setting?
You want to not show us album art on the screen while the car is moving to avoid driver distraction, but you will complicate the seat heaters to 2 levels of pages, instead of just making the first top level button be the actual button.

#3 ·
Hey geniuses, why not just make the first button on the top screen be the ACTUAL BUTTON to adjust the setting?
You want to not show us album art on the screen while the car is moving to avoid driver distraction, but you will complicate the seat heaters to 2 levels of pages, instead of just making the first top level button be the actual button.
Simple Usability Engineering methods would have pointed this out, and it would have been fixed before being fielded. Lots of opportunity on a range of software issues for Subaru to up their game.

#6 ·
I get that. I have to reach in that slot facing backwards to install USB's. Along those lines my only suggestion for improvement would be to address the lack of decent driver/passenger accessible storage in general. I find all the front seat interior storage compartments undersized and of limited practical usage. Glove box is small. Console box is small. Passenger side console and over glove box slots are so narrow they struggle to hold a single pair of gloves. Slot with USB's not big enough for my mid sized cased cell phone. No recessed dash trays, fold out cup holders etc..... I just feel they could have been a bit more creative to add in this driver convenience feature.
That said, "it is what it is" and no vehicle is perfect. I'm willing to outfit my car like a minimalist backpacker as the rest of the package makes it worth well worth

#43 ·
In a way, I welcome the smaller storage space. I went from a car with TONS of storage space. When I cleaned that car to trade it in, I found most of the stuff was a complete waste to be in my car. What I do need can be stored in the Outback. I guess you can say I "Kondo'd" my car. I do agree that storage is a lot less.

With that, I like to keep over the counter adult and child pain meds. I got a couple of small containers from Target and slipped them under each front seat. Is an also bonus it stops things from getting under the seat.

Vehicle door Vehicle Car Automotive exterior Auto part
Vehicle Car Family car

#32 ·
You know you can easily turn off the start / stop feature, right? Go to the car menu...takes 30 seconds and you will never be bothered again.

Reactions: 2020XT
#22 ·
Ok, my gripe number 2. Mind you, I DO like my Outback overall, so don’t beat me up. I just think so many of these problems should have been thought out better. For 42k I just expected smarter design I reckon. This #2 gripe goes along with my first one. The door storage opening is nicely wide towards the front of the car (tho not wide enough to fit larger water bottles despite their claim), but it gets super narrow as it goes towards the back of the door. I placed some reading glasses in there, and sure enough they ended up back in that area. Just like that front cubby hole, it was hard to reach in there to pull them out. As much as I think the cabin needs more storage area, I am considering blocking this area off so things won‘t slide back there.

#24 ·
1. There is no “radio off” button! (at least with the 11” navigation screen.)
Yes, tapping the volume dial mutes it, but to turn it off requires several seconds of hold-down and a confirmation tap that you want to turn off the display! No, I just want to turn off the audio.
2. As others have mentioned, the OEM 3500 lb hitch come with 4-pin plug, not the 7-flat for the electric brakes that are required for trailers over 1000 lbs. Since the Ascent with tow package comes with the 7-way, I didn’t even consider researching whether the XT + hitch came with the right connectors.
3. The dang seat heater buttons too.
4. My 2000 and 2013 Outbacks’ center console cubby with USB port was just perfect for keeping an iPod installed and hidden. Now all the USB port are exposed.

it is unfortunate that some features feel like pointless regressions when compared to my previous Outbacks. :(

#25 ·
1. There is no “radio off” button! (at least with the 11” navigation screen.)
Yes, tapping the volume dial mutes it, but to turn it off requires several seconds of hold-down and a confirmation tap that you want to turn off the display! No, I just want to turn off the audio.
Unfortunately this seems to be a common design in cars in the last 5-10 years. The rentals I have driven and my wifes volvo, and now my 2020OB.

#30 ·
No problems here with the start stop. Light pressure on the brake if you don't want it to shut off. For longer stops, firmer pressure on the brake. Found that at about 500 miles it started getting smoother on restart, and after 1000 miles became almost imperceptible. Doesn't save a lot of gas, but it is good for the environment and has better execution than when first introduced on the 19 Forester.

Only big gripe is the font with Apple Car Play is too small because of the reduced screen size. We miss the 8" screen in our 19 Outback, that screen was perfect. There are so many things that are better on the 20, however, that overall we are enjoying it that much more. Hopefully there will be a software update to improve the Apple Car Play display.

#33 ·
This car is an amazing engineering achievement, but any car can be improved. My pet peeves:

1. Lane keep assist works OK, but tends sometimes to wander back and forth. If I drank, I’d never use it after a drink, as the police might pull me over. ;-). Also, lane keep assist sometimes makes really bad mistakes; you have to stay on top of it. Hopefully Subaru will release new software.

2. Apple CarPlay is buggy. It works well most of the time, but I usually have at least one software crash on longer trips. It’s especially sensitive to running multiple apps. It’s also very slow, and the screen is too small on the car’s display. That said, I wouldn’t be without it. And I do have an older 6+ iPhone, so maybe it’s me.

3. I’m straining to think of anything else so far! LOVE this car. Outback #3.

Reactions: tlippy
#47 ·
Here is the list I've got so far. (Not in any order)

1. Seat warmer's should be findable by brail. I wish the touch screen button was just a single click in the bottom corner.
  2. Constant pop-ups in the info-tainment system is a little annoying.
  3. Missing carplay wireless support. My wife's car has it and works great.
  4. Stability of the info-tainment system. I've already crashed it 4 times.
  5. Space. I agree on limited space as my wife and I will fill it up, however, I felt the space in the 2017 OB was perfect. This is a little small.
  6. Placement of the cup holders, my hydro flasks keep getting in the way of my arms.
  7. Shortcuts, I wish they were a little more feature rich and allowed me to do more deep type of shortcuts.
  8. Driver recognition system, I wish there was a way to just select the driver when it can't identify who is driving. (maybe there is a way, but I've not seen it).
  9. I keep spending on money on accessories. :)

All that being said, I love my car and enjoy driving it and reading this forum to get ideas on how to accessorize my car. ?

#130 ·
Here is the list I've got so far. (Not in any order)

1. Seat warmer's should be findable by brail. I wish the touch screen button was just a single click in the bottom corner.
  2. Constant pop-ups in the info-tainment system is a little annoying.
  3. Missing carplay wireless support. My wife's car has it and works great.
  4. Stability of the info-tainment system. I've already crashed it 4 times.
  5. Space. I agree on limited space as my wife and I will fill it up, however, I felt the space in the 2017 OB was perfect. This is a little small.
  6. Placement of the cup holders, my hydro flasks keep getting in the way of my arms.
  7. Shortcuts, I wish they were a little more feature rich and allowed me to do more deep type of shortcuts.
  8. Driver recognition system, I wish there was a way to just select the driver when it can't identify who is driving. (maybe there is a way, but I've not seen it).
  9. I keep spending on money on accessories. :)
All that being said, I love my car and enjoy driving it and reading this forum to get ideas on how to accessorize my car. ?
Hi I just purchased a Canadian version of the 2020 premium outback xt and now have 3000km on it. I haven't seen yet much said on some of the issue's that I found:

1. I can't change the temperature to Fahrenheit from Celcius. Dealer can't do it either. I believe the older versions could.
2. Tom Tom navigation sucks. Keeps sending me somewhere in another province. Garmen is much better in my daughters Jeep. It hasn't gotten it right yet. My iPhone on CarPlay works good using Seri, but I have to click Seri on from the phone, can't use the button on the car.
3. Driver monitoring system tell me way too much "keep eyes on road" tried to reload profile to no avail.
4. Backup camera at night sucks. Can't see anything if there is a light behind me. Poor resolution. Daughters jeep is 10x better.
5. Center lane steering works ok but if the curve is too steep it fails.
6. Tire pressure monitor does not exist in the Canadian models. Its an American thing.

Other than that I like the car a lot. I live on Vancouver Island. Lots of mountain driving. I tried to drive into a cardboard box and the auto stop works well although I did hit the box.

#63 ·
Yes, that does work a little weirdly. Driving mostly around town as I do, it always tells me to keep my eyes on the road and then gives up and disconnects that feature. It might work well on highway driving when you are more likely to keep your eyes on the road, but around town that's not going to happen.

It's a little like the adaptive cruise control that tells me to keep my hands on the wheel although it's really doing the driving. I think of it as my nanny car now. Constantly complaining about my actions, but I love her anyway.

#50 ·
Yeah, to reach in and access the USB ports in the wireless charging area.....I'm cursing the design team.....did they all have tiny little fingers? Did they test it with 5-year-olds? That said, I LOVE the wireless charger pad, and once you plug in the USB cable, you leave it presumably, right? That's what I did.....so it's not a constant battle; just a little awkward laying the phone in there. But my last car I had to use the cigarette lighter adapter and all that....this is way better.

#51 ·
You guys are so generous to Subaru. Sent them my gripes about 2 weeks ago; got a nice "we are always open to our customer suggestions" back. No thought that anything was in work for existing owners. I was even nice and complimented the improvements over our 2015 Gen 5 Ltd. Here's our list so far... and the voice non-recognition system is the worst!
To Subaru December 10, 2019 (after two months ownership)
"So let us move on to the downsides, unfortunately. None of these complaints are unique to me. Just log into Subaruoutback.org\Gen 6 if you want broader customer input.
  • No mat retainers on the passenger side? Really? Every time either my wife or I get in on that side, the optional all weather mat has to be pulled back into place. What did you save, 50 cents?
  • No coin holder? Apparently your new generation designers don’t use coin parking meters. Another 50 cents saved?
  • CD player gone. OK, can live with that but I don’t look forwarded to downloading all my existing CDs to USB. Didn’t even consider that this would be an option when we bought the car, let alone a $350 one. This was standard on the ’15 Ltd.
  • Loss of interior color selection, one size fits all mentality? How does it really matter if the Crimson Red comes with ivory or black interior on cost?
The ‘Biggie’ downsides –
  • Voice recognition (VR) is the worst VR that I have ever used. The ’15 was bad but at least it worked for my wife most of the time. My deep bass was apparently beyond the system’s capability but worked 50% of the time. With our ’20 neither Mary nor I can get the proper action 90% of the time. The default to attempt to guide you to a destination state or city when the system fails to recognize a request is totally annoying. The limited ability to control car systems now that everything is on a digital user interface is unacceptable. Almost no car system change requests are recognized. Neither Google, Alexa, or even Bixby have such poor performance.
  • VR linked to Nav should be a plus. If VR worked it would be. Recently we went to Nashville for an evening out. Tried to tell VR to guide us to a pre-paid parking area by address. We followed the exact command of the voice system, stating address with number first, city, state. After four tries with various stupid offerings of other cities and states (including Nash somewhere), we gave up. Then tried to just get directions to Nashville TN (we were on I-65S), the system couldn’t find Nashville until a third try. Worthless.
  • The move to the large digital screen is great. The design of the user interface, with multiple layer selections required to do simple actions is very poor implementation. It is distracting from attention to the road and frustrating. We both worked in Flight Simulator design including the instructor digital screen controls. Attention to use simplification was one of our top customer complaints. Your design team flunks the simplicity test.
  • Example: We lost the dedicated seat heat buttons, a function definitely required as warmth pervades the car. To reduce seat heat one cannot ask the non-responsive VM system to ‘lower seat heat’ nor can one just select a top screen button. First one must select the individual HVAC screen then toggle the seat heat. HVAC already has dedicated buttons for heat/cool on the center console. The top display also has dedicated UI fan controls. The only additional feature, other than seat heat, available by selecting the second level UI page is slaving the passenger control heat/cool setting to the driver. Using the first level driver/passenger UI to toggle seat heat one level would have required significant less code than was used to create the 2nd level UI. Voice control would have been even better.
  • The Nav – Your move to Tom-Tom is a step back into a world I left almost 20 years ago with my first Garmin. I had high hopes that the ’20 would come without any Nav just a link to IMaps or Google Maps. Unfortunately, Subaru chose to link a poor commercial NAV to the Sunroof option.
  • Definition is terrible for older eyes. One cannot make out street names except for the road you are on due to the font being embedded into the road presentation. No option exists to increase font size. The ’15 had box highlighted street names making readability much better.
  • Night contrast is horrible. Yes, one can fiddle with the below dash dimmer control and try to find a compromise between blinding dash lighting and washed out night Nav. Or one can go through three levels of screen, turn off dimmer control and try to manually adjust brightness and contrast to achieve a readable night display. But then we are back to distraction from the road. The ’15 Nav did not suffer from this ever.
  • A Nav that defaults to north every time you start is just annoying. I’m a ‘direction of travel’ user. Nav orientation should stay where I put it. Again, the ’15 did not suffer this aggravation.

#52 ·
When my uncle brought the Outback over to me earlier I asked him what he didn't like about the car. You guys pretty much covered most of it except for the map lights. He told me they weren't as bright or covered as wide of an area as his old CRV. I kind of agree with him on this even compared against my own car.

Reactions: cruzdb
#54 ·
I agree with most of the things already listed in this thread - well, except for the CD player. Our touring has a CD player. I haven't used one in probably 10 years, so this one will just take up space in the center console as well. Most people don't use CD's anymore, it isn't worth griping about. Want mine? I'll sell it cheap.

One thing I haven't seen listed which makes me scratch my head, is cargo lighting. There is one light, above the cargo cover, that must be about 12 lumens, and whatever dismal shine is thrown from it is blocked entirely by said cover. I've already replaced it with a much brighter LED option, but this still doesn't help when the cover is in any kind of closed arrangement. Every hatchback I've had, has had a light or two IN the cargo hold on the sides. I'd think Subee would have put one in there or on the top of the rear door or something. Thinking about getting a 12V worklight on a bendy arm to plug in back there. Something like this - Amazon.com: Prime Products 12-0519 12V Flexible LED Reading/Map Light: Automotive

And I'll pile on the the UI/UX of the big screen. It's comically bad. I can only hope it was rushed and a software update will change a lot because, really, it never should have gone out the door the way it works. I almost went with a Tiguan SEL whose infotainment was MILES better and I regret it a little every time I'm aimlessly trying to adjust a setting buried 4 layers deep in a menu somewhere. Like - the profile setting is NOT tied to the Eye sight driver setting. Those are two completely different things. WTF subaru. It will recognize I'm driving but use my gf's profile... I have to actively switch (and then confirm, doy) it to switch to mine. Yes, I didn't get to this screen by accident ffs.

#55 ·
I agree with most of the things already listed in this thread - well, except for the CD player. Our touring has a CD player. I haven't used one in probably 10 years, so this one will just take up space in the center console as well. Most people don't use CD's anymore, it isn't worth griping about. Want mine? I'll sell it cheap.

One thing I haven't seen listed which makes me scratch my head, is cargo lighting. There is one light, above the cargo cover, that must be about 12 lumens, and whatever dismal shine is thrown from it is blocked entirely by said cover. I've already replaced it with a much brighter LED option, but this still doesn't help when the cover is in any kind of closed arrangement. Every hatchback I've had, has had a light or two IN the cargo hold on the sides. I'd think Subee would have put one in there or on the top of the rear door or something. Thinking about getting a 12V worklight on a bendy arm to plug in back there. Something like this - Amazon.com: Prime Products 12-0519 12V Flexible LED Reading/Map Light: Automotive

And I'll pile on the the UI/UX of the big screen. It's comically bad. I can only hope it was rushed and a software update will change a lot because, really, it never should have gone out the door the way it works. I almost went with a Tiguan SEL whose infotainment was MILES better and I regret it a little every time I'm aimlessly trying to adjust a setting buried 4 layers deep in a menu somewhere. Like - the profile setting is NOT tied to the Eye sight driver setting. Those are two completely different things. WTF subaru. It will recognize I'm driving but use my gf's profile... I have to actively switch (and then confirm, doy) it to switch to mine. Yes, I didn't get to this screen by accident ffs.
Get this and replace your trunk light. Much brighter and it is a direct replacement. I and a bunch of members here have done this with great results:

#72 ·
I am considering a usb/lightning cable with a right angle connector, plugged into one of the front jacks, then carefully routing it into the center console with the lightning end hanging out so I can easily plug in my iPhone without the cable hanging out of the front pocket. Maybe even having the iPhone laying in the console tray.

#198 ·
ntermittent wipers. I wonder if they could add it
This is what the seat is doing, I don`t think it should be this loose, anyway not going to get to excited over it, just thought I would mention it.
Looks like to foam is compressing, not the leather's fault. A trip to an upholstery shop will solve it---just a more dense springier foam (like latex perhaps)

#71 ·
Compare cameras from the previous generation and you’ll see SOA downgraded them to save a few bucks. They also charge for an LED package but didn’t include the dome light. I bought one on Amazon for about $12. So easy to install. Really, SOA? Also, fix the **** equalizer. I wrote the Pres and Vice Pres, and didn’t expect a response and didn’t get one. I’ve got a regional service rep looking at it. Hopefully a software update soon.

Love my Autumn Green Onyx with black Texas car tags to finish it off. Sure do get a lot of compliments!!!!

#74 ·
two months in and 5k miles for my 2020 legacy xlt touring turbo.... android device for me
- wireless charger a waste of money though sounded like good idea at first. Android auto with bluetooth capability far inferior to android auto plugged in. this charges and provides much better feature/functions - i also have a short usb plug cable as people discussed above. highly recommend.
-Wireless charger for me is running really hot on my phone - not sure if defective or what. call dealership on issue and awaiting call back for replacement maybe.
-seat heater - i agree with noted points above. at first i did not realize how to turn the seat heater "off" as i thought you had to toggle it down and off. highly annoying given you have to navigate in and then "toggle" it off. i called the issue in and reported. I soon realized if you hold it down for a second it turns off. beyond this the driver monitor is constantly telling you to keep eyes on the road while you navigate through to do such things.
-Driver monitor - i hate it and soon figured out how to turn this off. it does stay off through several cycles and once it comes back on i simply toggle it off again. HATE THIS feature the most.
-Strange "quirk" happened - i remote started my vehicle and once i got in all the audio did not work. it could not hear me and i could not hear anything. phone and radio. i reboot phone. nothing. i turned the car off and on. nothing. finally at a rest stop hour+ later, i not only turned car off but locked it, everything came back on properly. reported this so... and they sent me a nice christmas gift to apologize... good for Subaru i guess.
-tom/tom navigation is useless compared to my google maps i use. never use it. with android auto and my google maps - no need.
-android auto and lack of full screen - wish it used full realestate of screen. hoping for a software update push to resolve lot of these issues.

-climate control - not sure if just me but the heat system seems to heat the cabin excessively before leveling off and back down to proper temperature. i live in south east so maybe not an issue in the frozen tundra these cars are more designed for:)

-last point on driver monitor and display - display is full of "goodies" and things you need to interact with over normal usage. these two do not play well together. display begs you to interact with it and the driver monitor keeps telling you to keep your eyes on the road!!!

Overall i love the car but anxiously awaiting subaru to push some proper enhancements/upgrades/fixes out to address the above.

Subaru?? Listening??

-

#78 ·
I soon realized if you hold it down for a second it turns off. beyond this the driver monitor is constantly telling you to keep eyes on the road while you navigate through to do such things.
-Driver monitor - i hate it and soon figured out how to turn this off. it does stay off through several cycles and once it comes back on i simply toggle it off again. HATE THIS feature the most.
]

-
You are the first person here Ive seen mention that the Driver Monitor comes back on after several off cycles, as I have mentioned. Nice to know its not just me. The guy at the dealer who did that second meeting I had (where they help you with the tech in the car) seemed very confused and said it should stay off.

And the Driver Monitor - yeah - totally useless. All it does it tell me to keep my eyes on the road 1. when I am looking at the screen to do tasks that should be easier to do but arent, and 2. tells me sometimes when I am just looking at the road, or glancing down at my speed- no lie.

That system stays off in my car, as does Start/Stop, and usually the front braking and the lane notifications.

All my hate for start stop, I was riding around in my friends Audi SUV - 60K car, and they have a hard button to easily turn S/S off, but when the wife was driving, she left it on and I will say, it was WAY less noticeable when it started back up - not the large shudder and the occasional lurch forward of the 2020 OB.
I STILL wouldnt like it based on the lag it creates, when in stop and go traffic, but I finally was in a car that it felt smoother - albeit a 60K car.

#79 ·
I took delivery of my 2020 Outback Touring XT on Dec 31. The car was ordered on Nov 8. Overall I am pretty happy with the car. I've been reading a lot on this forum and this thread is particularly interesting. Honestly, there is not much for me to complain about so far. I agree with some of the comments here like the front USB ports being difficult to access and the seat heater switches. Since deciding to purchase another Outback (my previous one was a 2012 Limited 2.5i), I did a lot of research and was already aware of many of the gripes.

My biggest gripes at this point are:
  • TomTom navigation remains meh. My Android Auto experience is light years ahead. Sometimes I just want a quick map and that's where I would use TomTom. My biggest gripe using it for navigation is the constant voice reminders. While you can mute the voice prompts, I really like the Android Auto mode of muting all but traffic notifications. Honestly the TomTom navigation is what I was expecting for a built in navigation system.
  • Driver recognition not linked to driver profiles. I actually like the driver recognition but for it not to be linked to a driver profile makes no sense. One of the biggest features I was looking forward to was the ability to link my phone to the car automatically when I'm the recognized driver and when my wife drives the car, her phone would automatically link. Unfortunately this is a driver profile, not a driver recognition setting which defeats the purpose of automation.
  • As previously mentioned, the front mounted USB ports are nice although difficult to reach. Having a couple of USB ports in the center cubby would be helpful.
  • The Touring trim comes with a CD player. Really? I can't imagine ever using it.
  • Living in So Cal, I won't be using the seat heaters much but I agree with other comments that having a dedicated physical switch would make more sense.
Maybe I'll get a few more gripes as time goes by but overall I am initially very happy with the vehicle. It is a very nice step up from my 2012 Outback Limited. The Start/Stop system doesn't seem to be a bother. I like the adaptive cruise control and its lane centering capabilities. I have not experienced the driver monitoring system to deliver excessive reminders but it may be too early to tell.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.