Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Gen 3 Outback 2.5i 4EAT LL Bean, Full Navigation
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, finally I'm about to decide on an Outback and wanted to get some opinions, cautions, feedback etc.

The two that I'm looking at are around 200k both with head gaskets done by a seemingly knowledgeable and reputable dealer/ mechanic. I been looking around here and have been educated fairly well as to what to look for. Just checking for anything I might have missed or overlooked.

Thanks for all the good info here folks.

Dale

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,142 Posts
So, finally I'm about to decide on an Outback and wanted to get some opinions, cautions, feedback etc.

The two that I'm looking at are around 200k both with head gaskets done by a seemingly knowledgeable and reputable dealer/ mechanic. I been looking around here and have been educated fairly well as to what to look for. Just checking for anything I might have missed or overlooked.

Thanks for all the good info here folks.

Dale
You said gen3 OB? 2005-2009? You have got to be able to fine a lower milaege car. 200K is high. These come up from a low 80K miles to a usual 140K miles all the time. Anywhere from $4000 to $8000 all time.

Why buy a 200K miles car. That's Gen2 territory.

·
Registered
2012 Outback - 2005 Outback XT
370 Posts
I wouldn't pay more than a grand for one with that kind of mileage. It's a throwaway car at that point.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Been looking for 6 months. Have seen some good deals here and there but had no cash. Still have no cash thanks to the medical bills from my heart attack last year so I'm going to have to put it on Visa. And I have got to do it before winter sets in cause my 99 AWD Grand Caravan has some serious problems. Generally speaking it's pretty slim pickings in this part of the country for decent low mile low cost snow vehicles.

So you guys think either of these rigs would be trash? Guess I'm in a serious bind. I'm going to still be looking.

·
Master Caster
16,142 Posts
I wouldn't pay more than a grand for one with that kind of mileage. It's a throwaway car at that point.

See, this guy isn't being shy. I was trying to be nice and steer you toward better cars. But he's right. Unless you want to put $2-$3K into it. A little less if you wrench. A good bit more if you don't.
@Watchguy being in the PNW, Subis do carry a premium, but you can do better.

·
Registered
2012 Outback - 2005 Outback XT
370 Posts
Nothing wrong with getting a throwaway car, but you have to be prepared to replace it. So I wasn't necessarily advising against such a purchase, just paying too much for one.

I think most would agree that while not unheard of, Subarus typically aren't considered to be 200k mile cars. Much of that is due to their popularity in the rust belt where the tin worm gets to them.

·
Master Caster
16,142 Posts
So you guys think either of these rigs would be trash? Guess I'm in a serious bind. I'm going to still be looking.
What is your budget? What are your skills? Sounds like medical stuff, you need to pay everyone for work? If, no skills, do you know a good shop already?

These are all very important in reference to any used car. What is you budget? I started out shopping for a $1000 car.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'll keep looking but I'll be lucky at best to find something I can afford. Fortunately I do wrench though (did it for 25 years for a living).

·
Master Caster
16,142 Posts
Budget is the biggest thing. That s*cks, but I ended up spending much more on a 2nd Gen3 than I expected when looking for a cheap daily driver. (so much for Cherry Bomb) There all all kinds of cars. Is AWD and a Subaru critical? There are lots of cars for lots of $.

We can still help sort though adds here, even if another brand is a better fit.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Don't have a real budget. We're both on SS. Talked the wife into no more than $6995.00. That might be a year pay back. Maybe a little less depending on the projects/ expenses.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Looked at other brands also and worked on most of them. Kinda like the idea of more ground clearance for my not so nice at times wintery driveway. Plus my wife has to be able to drive it which rules out the manual trans. Lots of those around for much more reasonable prices.

·
Master Caster
16,142 Posts
Ok,

You certainly should be able to find a lower mileage 140K maybe- 160 ... H6, 5EAT (Automatic-good transmission) for that money or less.

I bought my 2005 XT with 125K miles 18 months ago for $7000 (cash price vs 9500 financed) in Denver, well, Front Range. I would bet an XT in Denver is worth more than an H6 3.o in the PNW, on a used dealer lot.

That means to me, wait for that $4-5K car. With better milaege. The you have $1500 for what might be needed. I meant what I said in the PM. @eagleeye joins in looking for you, you might get some help.

He might be flooded.

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,306 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah. Thanks, Saw that one. That's generally what I'm looking for. If I could get a bank loan that might be a possibility.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,307 Posts
this is a old thread about buying in the PNW,...lots of question / answer about types.

https://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/62-car-lounge/200954-help-buying-my-second-subaru-advice.html

keep in mind: 2001-2009 H6 and turbos need high octane gas,...and they like to guzzle it in the stop and go.

I would spend on VDC equipped cars. and leather,

and of course: look for rust free. (I am sure there are some rusty cars there, ...brought in from someplace else, or used in a area with salted sand).

·
Registered
2006 Outback Wagon 2.5i
32 Posts
Most importantly, the Gen 3 is the BEST-LOOKING Outback! Good luck on your search. I have an Accord as a spare car when working on the OB.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts