Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! I'm thinking about getting the Outback Sport (or maybe even the Forester, but that seems to big for me). Anyway, I currently drive a VW Passat. I'm trying to avoid the problems that I have with my VW and am wondering if Subaru is the way to go. My VW is fun to drive (when it's working correctly), but when there are problems (and there are lots), it's a real PITA. The VW dealers around where I live (Pasadena, CA) are terrible, and every time I take my car in, I suffer.

Can someone please reassure me that Subarus are less trouble-prone, and that Subaru dealers treat their customers better? In particular, I'm interested in finding out about the Monrovia and Santa Monica dealers, since that's primarily where I'll be taking the car.

Also, I'd like to get heated seats and leather installed in the Outback sport...how hard do you suppose that'll be? The folks over at the Passat board tell me it's not a big deal, but I thought I'd poll you guys.

Thanks!!

·
Administrator
4,270 Posts
Well Buster let me say that you have certainly come to the right place! :D Subarus are stalwarts for reliability, Subaru is consistantly one of the top brands for quality & reliabilty as tested by JD Power, Consumer Reports, many satisfied owners, etc. That is certainly one thing you won't have to worry about too much ;)

You can easily get leather and seat heaters installed in your OBS, there are many people I know who have leather kits for their Subies and they are usually better & less expensive than the average factory leather job you find on most cars. As far as seat heaters I know they are availiable although I'm not for sure where you could get some right off hand, Google it :)

As far as the dealers, although we are tops for Subaru dealer reviews here at Outback.org... still it is always good to search around for some more reviews, Google that too.

Any more questions, please ask :D

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. To be honest, I hadn't thought about googling my local Subie dealers (duh!), so I'll get on that right now! :)

·
Superb Moderator, ,
6,194 Posts
OBS's are very nice cars, I have one. As for size, the OBS is just slightly smaller than a Forester. Leather kits can be found at Katzkin I believe the name is and I've seen two of their kits in WRX's, they look nice. Reliability is great, resale is great, AWD is great, higher ground clearance is great, little wagons are cool. Brian

http://www.autoleathers.com/HTML2/AL.MAIN.FS.html

·
Friendly Subaru Dealer, ,
47 Posts
In August, we're also coming out with the Outback Sport Special Edition, which will add a package including a premium sound system, 6 disc changer, armrest extender, auto dimming mirror and compass, a rear spoiler, and a leather wrapped wheel and shift knob. It's only going to add $500 dollars to the sticker, and you'll have a lot of nice options on the cheap.

Every dealership is getting one, so it would be something that you will probably want to check out.

There's also a rebate of $1500 or a special interest rate on the OBS right now as well, but go for the rebate-it will end up saving you more money in the long run.

·
Superb Moderator, ,
6,194 Posts
Thanks for the info Luke-- At $500 for those options that is a good price for the Special Edition OBS. Brian

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Buster--

i think you'll be happy with genl reliability of Sub.s. i tend to get my cars with 100K+ on them so i see the "worst case scenarios". my sub.s have always been bulletproof even when doing something stupid. one ex' car didn't get an oil change for abt 2 yrs and 20K+ miles due to wasted (BVG..beyond vise grips) drin plug. it still had great engine compression at 186K when i returned it to her and in fact i got a speeding ticket on the way up cuz i'd just tuned and it RAN. i'm not just a Soobie syncophant..by contrast, i love German cars and think a lot of the VW/Audi models in the last 20 years are cool, but long term quality engineeering sux. read a llong term test of a corrado G60 once, and they described car as feeling pretty well used at 20K. and try the shifter of any FWD VW with 100K+...rubber band city.

also can't overemphasize wonderfulness of the AWD, esp in the manual trans models where they have 505/50 F/R torque split (the automatics are a 90/10 split in normal driving and essentially a FWD car with on-demand AWD. smartest slushbox on the planet but it's still a slushbox). repeat after me: AWD IS NOT JUST FOR SNOWY OR WET ROADS. even on dry roads, it makes the thing unbelievably controllable. safety + big fun at once. i'm one of those sicko autoXer types who knew and regularly practiced the concept of drifting car as a way of life b4 it became a fashion statement....the OB sport slides more predictably and controllably than even my highly mod'd X1/9 or 69 2002. there's a reason the SCCA's STS class is jokingly referredto as "Street Tire Subaru". this means not only fun for sickos who oughta be locked up, but incredible predictability in limited traction situ.s of whatever type. the door bars aint as big as in ex' Volvo 240 but nearly so, and the active safety (avoid the wreck in 1st pace) is about 600% better. a good driver can do ANYTHING with this car. one tiny vignette to illustrate tiny ways it makes life better: hwy work on interstate here. recently paved lane abt 3" higher than other. normal cars, front tire doesn't want to climb that unless you steer into it a bunch. with AWD, the wheel that hits the 3" lip is trying to climb it...you almost don't know lip is there. i own and love RWD cars too but if i had young kids, wouldn't put them into anything other than an AWD car of whatever make due to SUV-avoidance capability. and it helps when they get old enough for drivers license too if they have more traction than power...

i thought butt heat was available as an option on some Subs. pretty sure i recall it being mentioned in my OBS owners manual.

just don't get an OBS over WRX in belief of more ground clearance...it's all of .4" more, acc to owners manual. love my OBS and big torquey engine but might get a WRX if'n i had to do it over. keeping my Cherokee anyway for when i need a real 4WD sledgehammer....

bruce weathers

·
Registered
181 Posts
X1/9????

Hey cpt, I'd love to see some pics of your X1/9 ;)

I love X1/9's. I had a stock 82. The only non stocl items were the stereo and the Momo leather steering wheel. Granted it wasn't modded and was slow as a dog, it was a very fun car to throw in the corners and could hold its own onthe twisties where most other cars had to brake to avoid "drifting." X1/9 has the best MR setup I've seen.

I'd love to own another one just about now....Hmmmmmmmmmmm....

<---------------------------clicking on link to eBay.....:D

·
Registered
30 Posts
Luke_Monroe said:
a package including a premium sound system, 6 disc changer, armrest extender, auto dimming mirror and compass, a rear spoiler, and a leather wrapped wheel and shift knob. It's only going to add $500 dollars to the sticker, and you'll have a lot of nice options on the cheap.
I should've waited for the 05 to come out! (I'm a push-over for the armrest extension and rear spoiler).

·
Registered
195 Posts
I, too, am considering the Outback Sport, or its sister (brother? cousin?) Impreza.

What I'm wondering is why I don't see dark tinting for their windows (ones at local Subaru dealership anyway) like I had been seeing on all the small SUV's I've been looking at before narrowing the new-car-buy down to something economical since I have access to a big truck for larger errand runs.

I had added my own cheap window tint film before, badly done, and I'd like a good clean quality tinting. Maybe just get it added at the dealership, or take someplace else to do it? Or is there some mysterious reason people don't darken their Subaru windows I should know about?
:rolleyes:

·
Superb Moderator, ,
6,194 Posts
No reason you haven't seen more dark tint. Depending on your geographic location, dark tint is illegal. I don't know what % mine is, but I wanted it light enough to see through at night. You can see my pics in the gallery of my OBS w/tint.

But there is no underlying reason for not having tint on your Subaru. Brian

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
tint

most states require mimimum of abt 35% visible light transmission, at least on front door windows. with an eye to this, many of the films on the market let abt that amount of light through. obv, if your car already has factory tinting, adding 35% film to whatever % the factory tint blocks can potentially cut your light transmission below legal. call your cops or state hwy patrol 1st to check the min legal % of visible light transmission.
if you are concerned abt this, Gila makes some good quality films that are usually used for home use but cut way less than 65% of visible light out....look at their low-E film. Home Depot carries.
film on top of windshield or on rear hatch will interfere with yr radar detector's performance if it's metallic-based like most.

as long as you keep this stuff in mind, no reason not to tint windows. quality of application makes all the difference, so yes, pros who do it day inand day out will do a better job than you or i will.

bw

·
Registered
195 Posts
Re: tint

cptoversteer said:
pros who do it day in and day out will do a better job than you or i will.
Yeah, I wouldn't attempt it again. I couldn't get the film stuff onto my truck's windows as good as it should have been. It was a cheap kind to begin with, too. :rolleyes:

Now that I have my new Outback Impreza Sport today (yay!) I've noticed its tinting is just like the old truck's after I peeled the film off so it would look better when taking it in for the trade. I had forgotten how it looked. I left it on the back though. It was rather dark at night, trying to see out the driver/passenger windows, good chance it was at the point of being illegal.

For the Impreza I'd like all the back windows to be darker, that 'privacy tint' kind of dark. Maybe the front windows inbetween that and how they are now. I don't know what affect that could have on the defrost bands of the cargo window, never dealt with that before, guessing it can be done though.

Nighttime is a real problem though, can really disrupt the view out the back. That's kinda how I got the damage on the back of my truck, backing up my long and unlit gravel driveway.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
as through a glass, darkly

i got some removable, static-cling vinyl film from JCWhitney for my rear side windows, hatch glass, and strip along top of windshield on my OBS, partly due to exact concern you mention on defroster wires, as well as fact that it's easily removable (winter?). i once had to remove old semi-perma-stick film from my VW bus rear window which has similar def. wires, and it was a ***** like unto what i don't wanna see agin. this is sort a higher quality, thicker version of the stuff that the jiffy lube places use for their "next oil change due" sticker on your windshield. avail in different shades and degrees of darkness; i got the 35% VLT smoke.

with this stuff, you just clean windows real well inside and out (outside only so if you can see if it's clean enough on inside) with std windexish glass clnr, then soak the surface and the film and lay it up against the glass. unlike the regular stuff, this seems to be easier if you trim it before you lay it in place (i used auto body shop masking paper to make templates). the stuff, however is a real b***h to get to stay on until you get a sufficient % of it in place. i was able to get the windshield strip on, but haven't yet succeeded in getting the hatch glass film on. it's definitely a 2 person, 4 hand job AT LEAST, esp on something like hatch glass where you have to stick it UP against glass surface; near-vertical glass is easier. once it's in place, it seems to stay just fine.

no idea on how it'll wear or scratch resistance. i figure if i decide i hate it, i've only wasted the $ since i can yank it off the entire car in abt 30 seconds, or 15 min if i clean the glass afterward.

·
Registered
18 Posts
There's also a rebate of $1500 or a special interest rate on the OBS right now as well, but go for the rebate-it will end up saving you more money in the long run. [/B]
thanks for the info. i looked at the OBS SE yesterday (woodland grn and gray). they took exactly 1500 off the MSRP as their deal to me. looks like i'll be asking for an additional 1500 :)

i have decided that the manual tranny will be better than the auto - the auto seems sluggish, even in the non-turbo.

hopefully i'll be picking up the OBS SE this w/e

-steve

·
OBS Obsessed, ,
251 Posts
Good luck and welcome! You oughta be able to get it near invoice I would think. Although I like our 4EAT too, definitely go for the manual if they can get it for you.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
About this Discussion
15 Replies
10 Participants
BlueRidge
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing