Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know much about Subarus.

this one is $2200.

It needs some work. which is fine by me. fun project.

it basically needs a timing belt kit (aisin $215 on amazon), water pump, timing belt, tensioners. radiator hose(s). coolant flush. (also the AC is warm, 65 degrees. but I've never done AC work before so... not sure about doing that...)

it just had new 90k tires put on it, new radiator, brake pads, cat converter [edit suspension done]

Can anyone provide some advice? about anything else I would need to look at, fix, watch for etc? The guy already sent me a mechanics report, as detailed above. so it looks good so far.

Thank you, take care

Noah

Attachments

·
Registered
516 Posts
It will need suspension bushings probably. Most of them in the back. Shocks likely, also in the back. If you're ok doing incremental work yourself, you'll probably enjoy the thing. Look for valve cover or head gasket leaks underneath and don't be scared if you find them. As long as it's a project car and nothing is knocking, it's all fixable for a handy person.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,843 Posts
got a link to it?

delete the cra out of craigslist and the forum software may let it post

(antispambot idea = need 10 posts to make a working link)

·
Registered
2005 Outback 2.5i
13 Posts
It's generally a good idea to avoid the first year of a vehicles generation. 2005 it the first year of the third generation Outbacks.

My 2005 has been... good overall. It suffered from "ghostwalking" (which apparently the 2005 is notorious for), had the driveshaft carrier bearing seize up, and threw a rod, requiring me to get the engine rebuilt. Granted, it had high miles when I bought it. Besides that though, it's been normal maintenance.

If I were to do it over again with a third generation Outback I would definitely buy something from '07 to '09.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
He actually said the suspension was done. forgot to add that, he added that in an email.

I suspect the driveshaft carrier bushing seize is due to lots of snow/salt exposure under the car? because the pictures I found with google had lots of rust (sorry, I'm inexperienced with snow conditions. I don't live in a snowy area)

I've done a couple valve covers, but a head gasket seems like a big job. Never done that. I've done the water pump/timing belt kit, though, on a toyota sienna.

I guess there's no real solution to the ghost walking ?

Any comments on the transmission with 164k miles? He said the fluids were done 15k ago. Thanks for the advice btw

I don't want to post the add because I'm afraid someone will steal my deal =)

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,843 Posts
He actually said the suspension was done. forgot to add that, he added that in an email.

I suspect the driveshaft carrier bushing seize is due to lots of snow/salt exposure under the car? because the pictures I found with google had lots of rust (sorry, I'm inexperienced with snow conditions. I don't live in a snowy area)

I've done a couple valve covers, but a head gasket seems like a big job. Never done that. I've done the water pump/timing belt kit, though, on a toyota sienna.

I guess there's no real solution to the ghost walking ?

Any comments on the transmission with 164k miles? He said the fluids were done 15k ago. Thanks for the advice btw

I don't want to post the add because I'm afraid someone will steal my deal =)
ghost walking,...if you got it, fixes are in the alignement, and putting 2003-2004 era KYB rear struts in as they are a bit stiffer made for the heavier body.

head gaskets, ...people do them all the time, even on their first subaru. these typically leak oil externally, so as long as its not dripping on something hot you can even put it off a while. (I had 3 oil leaks going before one of mine leaked on my similar 2002 H4).

if you read this backwards you can see pics of the process from someone that had never worked on a subaru, (2005 Ej253 engine has a couple changes but similar)
http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums...ngine-swap-us-jdm-ej251-diy-head-gaskets.html

___

subaru 4EAT and 5EAT are really good plain traditional transmissions, last a long long long time so long as they have fluid in them,...even if its ignored a bit.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
And a bad wheel bearing is indicated by a clicking sound at the wheel right?
I'd have to get a press

Sent from my KYOCERA-C6742 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Outback 2007 3.0Rn 5EAT Wagon.
576 Posts
And a bad wheel bearing is indicated by a clicking sound at the wheel right?
I'd have to get a press

Not really. They are generally quiet, slowly get noisier humming. No press required, simply bolt off/bolt on.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You don't have to press the wheel bearings in and out of the hubs?

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,843 Posts
you might find bearings as a recall item on the 2005s. these were probably all done,

it can be easy work quick work in a shop with a lift,...so long as things are not corroded or wrecked.

a couple threads here for DIY driveway stuff if you are so inclined.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah I would prefer driveway stuff. Except such complicated stuff as trans rebuild. Which I would like to try with the right tools and instructions. But that's a tough project for the beginner.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,843 Posts
Yeah I would prefer driveway stuff. Except such complicated stuff as trans rebuild. Which I would like to try with the right tools and instructions. But that's a tough project for the beginner.

like no one bothers to pay for a rebuild, or DIYs a rebuild subaru 4EAT or 5EAT,...vs. just getting another used....

although a transmission shop maybe ablet to talk someone in to paying for it.... so they could have something to do vs. just swapping.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
About rebuilding Transmissions
I heard it was significantly cheaper if you just drop off a transmission itself at a shop instead of having the shop to take the transmission out of the car themself

1 - 15 of 15 Posts