Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first post and strongly thinking about buying a new 2013 Outback. I can't decide upon the 4 or 6 cylinder.

1. Are head gasket leaks a thing of the past?

2. Is it just a fact of life with Subaru due to engine design?

3. It seems like most people believe the 3.6 engines are not prone to the problem? Why is that?

thanks in advance!

·
Registered
I own 4 Subarus. A 95,97,02 and a 14. The first two are 2.2 and the last two 2.5.
657 Posts
OK, I'll try.

1. No one knows. We will have to wait until the new engine design is 5+ years old, and then it will only be an indication.

2. I assume that the current 4 cylinder engines are exclusively or predominately turbo. The early turbo engines in subarus have not been successful in my opinion due to excessive failures. So the jury is still out on them. By the way, the industry seems to be going in the direction of smaller engines with turbo assist to gain efficiency. My comments apply to them too. My attitude is based on wanting 200K miles from an engine so if you don't care about keeping a car 10+ years, then that wouldn't be a consideration.

3. No comment on the 3.6 engine other then I'm not sure that the lower Hg failure rate is true. However Subaru started putting MLS head gaskets in their 2.5 engines in 2010 and probably/maybe they put them in the 3.6 engines too so that may be a reason to think that the 3.6 engine will be OK. Maybe some mechanics who have done a lot of HG's will comment.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts