Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

As my title says, I'm thinking about getting another Subaru. I had an '07 2.5i for about 2 years that I didn't get along very well with. Biggest issues were small back seat (couldn't fit 3 kids (2 in car seats)), horrible mpg (about 24 on its best day, usual commuting tank (50/50 freeway/city) was around 20, in the mid teens with the bike rack loaded), and seeping head gaskets at 65k miles (went through a lot of coolant at a young age!). So I bailed and went back to a pick up truck (2011 F150 Ecoboost, now 2015 F150 Ecoboost 2.7).

Thinking about shaving about $300 off the monthly payment, plus some off the fuel bills. I don't use the truck much for truck stuff, and we have a full size SUV to tow a utility trailer or whatever with if we need that. My brother has an '11 Outback that he likes a lot, which seems to have fixed at least 2 of the issues I complained about. I'm hoping that the new engine in 2013 has dealt with the other problem (head gaskets and timing belts).

My primary use of the car will be commuting and getting to the trails/ski areas. I mountain bike or ski a couple times a week, depending on the season. I live in Utah, so some snow driving, mostly when headed up to the mountain. I also seem to drive a lot lately -- I've put 38k miles on my truck in a little over 2 years. My truck gets very good mpg for a truck (averaging about 21 mpg, so a bit better than my '07 Outback!), but I hopefully could do quite a bit better in an Outback.

So I'm wondering: has the new engine cured the head gasket issues? Are the newer models getting reliably good mpg? Any real reason to go 2015 or newer over '13-14? Can the '13-14 play music via bluetooth from my phone, or does it have to be plugged in with a cable?

Edit: probably looking for a 2.5, unless the 3.6 mpg is very close.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,197 Posts
Hello All,

As my title says, I'm thinking about getting another Subaru. I had an '07 2.5i for about 2 years that I didn't get along very well with. Biggest issues were small back seat (couldn't fit 3 kids (2 in car seats)), horrible mpg (about 24 on its best day, usual commuting tank (50/50 freeway/city) was around 20, in the mid teens with the bike rack loaded), and seeping head gaskets at 65k miles (went through a lot of coolant at a young age!). So I bailed and went back to a pick up truck (2011 F150 Ecoboost, now 2015 F150 Ecoboost 2.7).

Thinking about shaving about $300 off the monthly payment, plus some off the fuel bills. I don't use the truck much for truck stuff, and we have a full size SUV to tow a utility trailer or whatever with if we need that. My brother has an '11 Outback that he likes a lot, which seems to have fixed at least 2 of the issues I complained about. I'm hoping that the new engine in 2013 has dealt with the other problem (head gaskets and timing belts).

My primary use of the car will be commuting and getting to the trails/ski areas. I mountain bike or ski a couple times a week, depending on the season. I live in Utah, so some snow driving, mostly when headed up to the mountain. I also seem to drive a lot lately -- I've put 38k miles on my truck in a little over 2 years. My truck gets very good mpg for a truck (averaging about 21 mpg, so a bit better than my '07 Outback!), but I hopefully could do quite a bit better in an Outback.

So I'm wondering: has the new engine cured the head gasket issues? Are the newer models getting reliably good mpg? Any real reason to go 2015 or newer over '13-14? Can the '13-14 play music via bluetooth from my phone, or does it have to be plugged in with a cable?
that is really awful mpg for a 2007 2.5, that should not use any coolant. (typically those were external oil leakers)

any outback or legacy made after 2010 has more rear leg room, with the new body style.

2013-15 with the new FB25B engine = may have a extended warranty for oil consumption, some of these have replaced short blocks. (a good thing, to buy one with a new short block).

and have a 100,000 mile extended warranty on the CVT transmission (2010-15 cars)

stepping backards:
2010-12 have the last of the EJ253, these made with multi-layer steel head gaskets, so not systemic leakers of oil like the old ones, (although some do,...and I guess any previous owner of a aluminium engine car or truck can drive around with no coolant can ruin it easy. )

things people want to fight over,...3.6 2010-14 with the last of the 5EAT transmissions. (you may not like the city mpg though,
...6 cylinder subarus like to suck down the gas in the stop and go,.).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I was probably most unhappy with the mileage. The display usually read out quite a bit higher, but those were my hand calculated numbers (I track every tank with an app on my phone).

I think much of the coolant was leaking, or seeping, externally. Oil, too. It seldom dripped, but the block was a grimy mess. I always loved motoring up the canyon and parking at the ski area and choking on the smell of burning oil and coolant while getting my boots on ... unfortunately, more than one person commented on it while walking by ('smells like a Subaru!' or something like that). Dealer wasn't worried about it -- just sent me home with a can of sealant and told me to keep the reservoir full.

Interesting about the '10-12 engine improvements. I know my brother hasn't had any problems with his '11. I don't know that I'll want to go that old, anyway, but good to keep in mind if I come across a particularly clean one.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,197 Posts
I was typing of outback and legacy years,

foresters get the FB25B as early as 2011.

if you forget it the years, it is easy to spot that new FB type engine, = oil filter on top by the battery.

I have yet to find a forester front seat that I like though. (narrow and hard compared to legacy / outback seats).

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,391 Posts
FB is a completely different engine, so the HG issues weren't "fixed", simply abandoned for a completely different design. There's information and reasonable years of ownership now to suggest they certainly aren't their predecessors, if not rather trouble free. I recommend FB's to friends if they're in the window of options between FB and EJ.

It's easy to dislike one vehicle type when you change from another - how sure are you that reducing the size, perception, and feeling of a truck or SUV you're really likely to enjoy a new vehicle? if you're not sure or very self aware, ask someone who's around you or knows you well, if they are inclined to answer honestly, they'll probably get it right for you.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's easy to dislike one vehicle type when you change from another - how sure are you that reducing the size, perception, and feeling of a truck or SUV you're really likely to enjoy a new vehicle? if you're not sure or very self aware, ask someone who's around you or knows you well, if they are inclined to answer honestly, they'll probably get it right for you.
Thanks for the info on the engine.

Re: the dynamics of the change, I get what you are saying. Last time I also went from a crew cab full size truck to the '07 Subaru. I admit, I am a bit of a truck guy, and quite like my trucks. Mostly for the incredible utility of a crew cab, though -- I can haul as many people in comfort and whatever else I need. I'm sure I will miss the truck now and again. In truth, I would probably drive the Outback until handing it off to my oldest, who will be 16 in a few years, and I may move back to a truck at that point.

That said, I did like the dynamics of the '07 in many respects. I liked driving a car, liked easier parking, fitting in garages, the 'idea' of using less fuel when it was just me (I drive probably 8-10k miles a year traveling to meet companions for skiing and climbing trips, usually just me in the car until I get to the destination, and I feel a bit bad driving all these miles in a truck for many reasons). I didn't find the '07 too small when it was just me.

If it had had enough seat room -- not asking for crew-cab size seat room, but just 'average' large sedan seat room -- I would have been much happier. My mistake, but I didn't ever even get in the back seat when I was looking at them years ago -- I just assumed it would have the same room as a Camry or Sonata or similar sized car. Not being able to fit 3 kids across was a problem. I have spent time in the back of my brother's Outback, and I'm confident that there is enough room -- but I will take all the kids for a ride when test driving this time! This will actually increase the utility quite a bit, and make me like it much more than my '07, I think. FWIW, my wife would actually rather drive a 'car' when she could -- she doesn't love driving the Suburban every day -- and she drives more miles on a daily average than I do (when I'm not skiing or biking or on the road for work). She and the 4 kids will fit just fine in the larger Outback for daily mom taxi use and errands.

Of course, the other incredibly frustrating thing -- and I can be a bit OCD about things, I admit -- was 'downsizing' and getting such bad mpg.

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,391 Posts
I am a bit of a truck guy, and quite like my trucks.
I could "hear" that in your post and I've seen it before, story goes about the same every time. Good luck toughing it out.

the other incredibly frustrating thing -- and I can be a bit OCD about things, I admit -- was 'downsizing' and getting such bad mpg.
totally get that.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have a 2013 Legacy with 50k and find it very enjoyable to drive with a great seating position. Evap canister purge valve failed around 40k and almost positive this caused my oil burn issue as I no longer have that happening and have issue with driver window going up in small increments. Beyond that nothing has gone wrong due to manufacture. Front brake rotors warped and were replaced.

I wanted to upgrade, but it seems quality control has suffered in past few years and have been putting it off. I may wait for the 2020 Legacy as that chassis seems like a real winner or I might just grab a used Audi.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts