Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I'm thinking of getting a Subaru Outback 2.5 Touring or perhaps Limited trim. I test drove one not long ago, and while the acceleration is definitely lacking, the fuel economy and utility are great. My questions are:

1. How is the reliability? I plan on driving this car 15 years. Currently driving a 2001 Lexus ES300 with 360 k km on it.
2. Will 16 inch rims + winter tires fit on the car? Would save some cash taking them from my current car.
3. What kind of prices did people for for these cars, specifically here in Canada? Any discounts?

Anything I should watch out for?

I'm actually cross shopping this car with a Toyota Rav4 regular and hybrid model.

·
Registered
Tungsten 2018 Outback 3.6R Limited w/ES
179 Posts
Hello,

I'm thinking of getting a Subaru Outback 2.5 Touring or perhaps Limited trim. I test drove one not long ago, and while the acceleration is definitely lacking, the fuel economy and utility are great. My questions are:

1. How is the reliability? I plan on driving this car 15 years. Currently driving a 2001 Lexus ES300 with 360 k km on it.
2. Will 16 inch rims + winter tires fit on the car? Would save some cash taking them from my current car.
3. What kind of prices did people for for these cars, specifically here in Canada? Any discounts?

I'm actually cross shopping this car with a Toyota Rav4 regular and hybrid model.
1. Subarus are known for their reliability. I've owned 5 before my current '18 Outback, and never had any major issues.
2. I think it's 17" or 18" depending on the trim option. Note: the US trim options are named differently than the Canadian.
3. Pretty much MSRP; at least at Ogilvie in Ottawa. They were flexible on the clear-out 2017s but wouldn't budge on the 2018s. Their attitude is... "if I don't sell it to you, I will to someone else in 5 minutes". Also there wasn't much willingness to negotiate on trade-in price. If you're "into it", sell your trade-in privately. The only discounts I could wrangle was with accessories like a winter-tire package, and trailer towing hitch.

If the acceleration wasn't impressive on the 2.5, maybe look at the 3.6. Also consider the extended warranty; there's mixed opinion on that topic, until one of the complicated electronic systems fail and you have the warranty.

Nothing specific to watch out for, except don't let them charge you for "etching" or any extras you don't need. Before selecting this dealer, I booked an appointment for service on my 2005 - just to see if they would try to rip me off. I had a tiny leak of tranny fluid, and they just replaced the spin-on filter b/c the seal was faulty - didn't try to make me rebuild it, or replace the pan seal.

One last thing - maybe it's just me, but I hate those decals that dealers put on your car alongside the manufacturers badging. What makes them think my car is their free billboard? I asked them to not do that, and got not a single word of push-back from them. Then, I suggested they could give me a license plate frame with their name on it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Definitely a good option for reliability but if you are serious about a 15yr run then extended warranty will get some use I'm sure. Main parts you're good but as the other response noted if one of the electrical systems go then that would be worth its weight right there.

2.5 will get the job done but right now I have a 3.6R and its wonderful to drive....not so great to fill up but that's always the trade off. If you're planning long life then to me a bigger engine will do better over the years simply because it's not working as hard day to day. Lexus ES is a sold car and no surprise it lasted so long (I actually tested a few when I got my outback just for the overall comfort and reliability of that ride).

·
Registered
2013 O.B. and 2018 O.B.
100 Posts
If you're looking at buying a top of the line O.B. IMO, I'd spend the extra bucks and get a 3.6 and since you plan on keeping it for a long time, after deal is done buying it, look at getting an extended warranty online for whatever fits your need.

·
Registered
2018 Outback Limited 2.5 Si
7 Posts
I'm new to Subaru also and am very glad I bought the 2018 2.5 Limited in February. Gas mileage does matter to me, and I drive like a normal person in normal Midwest US conditions, so I couldn't justify any upside for the 3.6. The Limited trim with options gives me everything I'd want.

·
Registered
2018 2.5 Outback
82 Posts
I traded a 2001 5.3 liter Chevrolet Tahoe in on a base 2.5 Outback, and have no regrets. You just have to be sure you are ready for the lesser amount of power. I no longer needed to pull a camper etc. and the Outback pulls my kayak trailer just fine. Just be honest with yourself about wants vs. needs.

·
Registered
2018 Outback 3.6R Touring WG/JB
148 Posts
Hello,

Even if the 16" rims clear the brakes, you also have to have compatible bolt pattern, as well as offset that won't cause rubbing issues. Not sure about other trims, but my Touring 18" wheels are 5 x 114 with a ET48 offset. I'm now running aftermarket wheels with a ET45 offset.

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
4,200 Posts
Why do they do that stuff other than to confuse us? Looks like the Canadian Touring is the U.S. Premium and the Canuck Premier is the Yank Touring.
I think that happened when they translated the various models through that silly metric system.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I think that happened when they translated the various models through that silly metric system.
I think that happened when they translated models for us into our brain damaged English system. :wink2:

·
Registered
148 Posts
That could be it as well. The Canadian model lineup does seem more logical. :laugh:
It looks like they don't have Wilderness Green. I specifically looked for that color when I bought mine.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts