Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I am thinking of trading in my 15 Forester XT limited and moving into a 18 Outback Limited. Just wondering if anyone else did this and what your comments are? I test drove the outback and like the look and feel just the driving height caught me off guard.

Thanks Terry

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,305 Posts
front seats are typically found to be more comfortable on long hauls in a outback over a present day forester.

and you can always crank the seat up and down to where you like it.

___

that said, the newly remodeled 2019 forester is getting unveiled at the NYC autoshow opening thursday march 29 to the press.
(edit march 28, US Eastern time)
rumored to be without a turbo available for this year,...but getting on the global platform.

·
Registered
2018 3.6R Limited
550 Posts
If you like SUV like driving position vs. car like in Outback... I'd wait and see what will redesigned 2019 Forester bring. Chances are that new Forester on global platform will eclipse current Outback at least in some aspects. It will be announced on 3/28.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,305 Posts
If you like SUV like driving position vs. car like in Outback... I'd wait and see what will redesigned 2019 Forester bring. Chances are that new Forester on global platform will eclipse current Outback at least in some aspects. It will be announced on 3/28.
fixed my previous post denoting march 28.

here on the subaru of japan site they have a running countdown clock

March 29 must be Japan time as they are on the other side of the dateline.

https://www.subaru.jp/forester/forester/

I get Wed March 28, at 1:45pm EDT when I put that countdown clock time in a internet time calculator.

·
Registered
2021 Outback Onyx Edition XT
1,900 Posts
I agree with above. Fozzy XT is kind of like the WRX on Stilts, aside from the obvious height and handling differences, whereas the Outback is your cruiser. Low n' slow, baby. I've sat in the Foz. I was too used to the Legacy/Outback comforts, it wasn't for me.

·
Registered
2018 3.6R Touring, Wilderness Green
78 Posts
Funny that you bring this up, because I just traded in my '17 FXT for a 3.6R Touring this morning. It's still pretty new, so I don't have much insight. However, I have driven a friend's '17 3.6R on several extended occasions on flats and up in the mountains and found it to be rather enjoyable. It wasn't as much of a boat as I thought it would be. It's definitely a cruiser compared to the FXT, but not that bad. When in elevation, I did notice a difference in power. While the 3.6R had plenty of oomph for those mountain road passings, the FXT with it's turbo definitely had more in the reserve, especially if in S or S#. However, I want to stress that the 3.6R managed just fine and had no problem making a pass with it's smooth H6 power delivery.

In terms of comfort, yes, the Outback is a level above the FXT, at least the FXT Premium, which is what I traded in. But everyone knows this already. The main reason why I traded in my FXT for the 3.6R was because of the seat. As an FXT owner yourself, and assuming you frequent the Forester board, you're aware that the seat is definitely an issue for some people. Unfortunately, I fell into this category as well. I loved everything about the FXT except for the seat. Given that I drive a lot for work and also do a lot of long road trips the seat issue really impacted my enjoyment of the car and outweighed everything else about it, including being boosted :( I frequently got numb legs and a behind in addition to making my achy hip problem worse on any sort of extended driving. However, with my experience in driving and sitting in my buddy's 3.6R, numb legs and ass along with an achy hip was never an issue.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
I've been struggling with on-and-off bouts of piriformis/IT band and especially illipsoas tendonitis (or tendonopathy depending on who you're talking to), and I've found that a nice seat cushion designed around sciatica type pain as well as driving with two feet (!) helps tremendously, if it's anything like that. It was quite an adjustment to doing the left foot brake, right foot gas, but it made a world of difference...

·
Registered
2018 3.6R Limited
550 Posts
fixed my previous post denoting march 28.

here on the subaru of japan site they have a running countdown clock

March 29 must be Japan time as they are on the other side of the dateline.

https://www.subaru.jp/forester/forester/

I get Wed March 28, at 1:45pm EDT when I put that countdown clock time in a internet time calculator.
Your "___" often looks like a signature separator, so it is easy for trained eyes (ones that have seen lots of internet ads) to skip it, so you pretty much said what I said, just before me :D. Since unveiling is happening in US, we'll know right away ... or a few days before as these things tend to leak near the launch date. It is almost impossible to keep the secret that close to the release date.

As for the seats, one of things many complain about Subaru... nobody ever said that seats are exceptional. I'd say gen 5 seats are acceptable, but not level of Volvo by any means... They seem too short for me, I wish there was more of or adjustable thigh support.

·
Registered
2018 3.6R Touring, Wilderness Green
78 Posts
I've been struggling with on-and-off bouts of piriformis/IT band and especially illipsoas tendonitis (or tendonopathy depending on who you're talking to), and I've found that a nice seat cushion designed around sciatica type pain as well as driving with two feet (!) helps tremendously, if it's anything like that. It was quite an adjustment to doing the left foot brake, right foot gas, but it made a world of difference...
Huh, that would take some getting use too! Not sure if you drove stick ever, but I suppose if you did, the two feet driving wouldn't seem so bad! Hope things are better. My issue is centered more around FAI.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I literally did this change 2 weeks ago and now have 800 miles on the Outback. As much as I enjoyed the power of the XT I can tell you I don’t miss it at all in the 36R. In addition the ride is waaay better in the Outback. Much quieter, plusher ride and handles relatively well in the twisties. The larger gas tank is very convenient and using 87 octane is also a positive change. The electronics are also much better. My Outback limited is loaded and I’ve gotten used to the longer and wider dimensions. Although the driver side seat is very comfortable my wife is having some issues with the passenger side comfort. It’s not as adjustable as the drivers side and the seats are firmer than the XT. Although the car does sit a bit lower than the XT it retains the same clearance as the XT and in the recent Nor’easter did absolutely fine in the snow. I’m enjoying the Outback and have zero regrets switching.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Huh, that would take some getting use too! Not sure if you drove stick ever, but I suppose if you did, the two feet driving wouldn't seem so bad! Hope things are better. My issue is centered more around FAI.
Used to drive stick years ago, learned on it. Practiced last summer in anticipation of buying either a Trek or Foz 6MT, but there's so much traffic outside of the NYC Metro Area, I just can't do it, I'd pull my hair out... or someone else's.

Regarding FAI, they gave me a pretty hefty workup to exclude that, hope you can find a non-surgical solution that works for you. Good luck.

On topic - Go test drive the 3.6 Outback. It's truly a beautiful machine. And it better be, that thing kisses $40k.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,305 Posts
Your "___" often looks like a signature separator, so it is easy for trained eyes (ones that have seen lots of internet ads) to skip it, so you pretty much said what I said, just before me :D. Since unveiling is happening in US, we'll know right away ... or a few days before as these things tend to leak near the launch date. It is almost impossible to keep the secret that close to the release date.

As for the seats, one of things many complain about Subaru... nobody ever said that seats are exceptional. I'd say gen 5 seats are acceptable, but not level of Volvo by any means... They seem too short for me, I wish there was more of or adjustable thigh support.
subaru Ascent has a articulating thigh support area. (maybe a sign of all things to come).

I have been using _________ as a paragraph separator for a long long time. maybe I should use another character.

I started a thread about the 2019 forester debut/ discussion.
(probably going to have to merge 20 new threads into it, in the next 10 days.)

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums...fficial-2019-forester-debut-nyc-autoshow.html

Reactions: Pathpounder

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the replies I really appreciate it. To be honest I liked my 15 Forester but there was some things that annoyed me as per below. Now that #1 & #6 happened I want nothing to do with the vehicle. Hopefully I will be out of this vehicle this week and into the Outback. Glad to hear the positives as I am really on the fence with this change.

How is the suspension/handling on the outback?

1) After my CVT was replaced there is a grease/exhaust smell. Subaru has tried 4x times to figure it out and cannot. This only happens when I am stopped or reversing.
2) The heating during a -5 Celsius day is terrible and even worse in the back seats. I could also not be on a phone call with the heat on as the fan noise was very loud.
3) During the winter when I accelerated the exhaust looked like a cloud behind the car
4) The dash rattled a bit
5) The wind noise was dramatic
6) I had a hit and run and the body shop just couldn't get the blend right. (Not technically Subaru's fault :)

Thanks T

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Suspension and handling I’ve found to be more car like instead of SUV like. Not as agile as a Legacy or a WRX, but somewhere towards that direction.

One of the most suggested modifications is to put a 19/20mm rear sway bar in for better handling.

·
Registered
1 Posts
It sounds like the issues you have with the Forester have already made up your mind on the Outback. I own a '15 Forester 2.5L/6MT and just recently got a 15' 3.6R Legacy. I absolutely loved the Forester and now, love the Legacy just as much. Fortunately, my wife's Tacoma was ready to give, so we traded it in for the Legacy, and now I have both the Forester and the Legacy in my garage. :)

The Outback is a beauty IMO. I was staring at one in the showroom while I was getting the paperwork on my Legacy done up. My father in-law plans on getting an Outback later this year, and I look forward to him getting it!

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Hold onto that Fozzy 6MT. They're extinct in the wild, now. :(

·
Registered
'17 Outback Limited 3.6R in Venetian Red.
479 Posts
If you value speed and acceleration keep your XT. It appears that the new '19 Forest will not have the turbo engine anymore. An XT is WAY faster than a 3.6R Outback. Mine is quick with my tune and mods, but the XT is fast on it's own. That being said, the 3.6 engine is great, and is so harmonically balanced. It's smooth it power delivery, but will be left in the dust compared to the XT w/ the turbo.

Then again, if power isn't your main concern, the OB will be a lot more comfortable. Longer wheel base, better interior, more of a luxury feel to it. Also seating position is huge. When I drive my Outback it drives like a sports wagon, as opposed to an SUV or crossover.

Reactions: Mekkanox and havn

·
Registered
446 Posts
We've had both the 2015 forester and 2015 outback as part of the family fleet and have thousands of miles in both. Honestly, the differences are really minor and the cars are similar to drive. I think the utility and packaging of the Forester are better, and for that reason, I think its the better car.

With the 2019 forester coming on the newer platform I would expect it to be the better driving car when it is available. Though that might be short lived before the outback is updated again around 2020.

I not planning to get rid of the outback any time soon, its been wonderful. And I am adding a forester to the fleet again since our experience with the 2015 has been great too, and it fits my needs.

·
Registered
2018 Outback Touring 3.6R
350 Posts
I was favorably impressed with the fully-loaded Forester that a dealer gave me while my '11 OB was having some major maintenance work done (sneaky marketing on their part, maybe?). So when I started thinking of a new car, and since I have never replaced a car with a like make/model, one of my first choices was the Forester. However, my wife didn't like it very well due to the choppier ride (shorter w/b) and generally more "truck-like" looks as she put it.

So after shopping a number of compact and near-compact SUVs (CR-V, CX-5, Tiguan, Santa Fe Sport, Equinox/Terrain, etc.) and finding them all wanting in some aspect or just plain missing one of my must-have options (Android Auto, heated wheel, adaptive cruise), I ended up ordering a '18 OB 3.6R Touring that I am hoping to pick up next week. The only thing I wanted that it doesn't have is a slightly smaller footprint in my garage, but nothing else hit every checkbox and was as comfortable feeling inside.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts