Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Outback 2.5XT Ltd w/ 5MT
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my 05 XT a few years ago (early 2015) and have put some work into it since (shocks all around, full timing belt service, a wheel bearing, full brake service all around.) It's relatively low miles (about 104k.) The interior and exterior are both in pretty good shape, it runs fine, no leaks, needs tires. It's a limited, a 5-spd MT and has been a lot of fun to drive and fairly easy to work on. I still have TGV delete and turbo inspection on my todo list. Last year my first kid popped out and since then I've had zero time to work on the car. My other car is a BRZ so when I have to carry a car seat I'm in the Outback. The car seat BARELY fits in the Outback and I don't really have the time to keep up with repairs on a 12 yo car so I'm thinking of getting something different.

I'm trying to work out my options. The KBB trade-in on this car is pretty low so I'm leaning towards selling direct. Any thoughts on sell-price for a car like this? (Old, desirable as a project car, somewhat rare.) Where I'm at (SW Ohio) there are very few (like 2, in rough shape) OBXTs for sale within 100 miles so it's tough to estimate a sell price. Usually I'd go to AutoTrader and Craigslist, post it, etc. Is there a better way/place? Is the used-car value on KBB pretty faithful to the market for these cars?

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,843 Posts
you can post it up in classifeds on here and on legacygt.com

with lots of good details, on maint. and mods.

ebay maybe.

(legacygt.com wants pics at the time of posting).

selling cars locally is ideal though, I would think the time to sell a subaru is November. when people are thinking AWD.

western OH when mentiioned on here for people looking for parts, is oddly short on subarus, despite its snow.

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,221 Posts
Hey @gabessdsp

This one is in SW OH...not terribly far.

I know you just want a shell tho..

·
Registered
Outback 2.0XT, Audi TTq, Ducati M750
333 Posts
Subarus have great (overblown?) resale so ignore the KBB or whatever, you have a relatively low-mile, loaded, turbo, manual Outback and its about to be fall. You can sell that car anytime, and if you wait a couple of months when everyone is thinking of winter you'll be able to get $2k more than you could tomorrow.

Sell privately and be firm on the price, your XT is a unicorn and the people who will show interest and buy know it.

·
Registered
2005 Outback 2.5XT Ltd w/ 5MT
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cool so good news there. I'll be sure to post it here too when the time comes.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Selling a car that needs tires will bite you. Find the cheapest set you can find and sell with 'new tires'. I bet you can get $8k+ if you list it for 85 and are stubborn.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts