Subaru Outback Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Blows my mind. Don't know what to say. Don't even know why I'm posting. Sad, sad.

Hopefully no subie peeps are directly impacted by this.

·
Registered
12,304 Posts
my response via facebook:
We say to children, "It'll be alright". Serve Him, pray, push back the darkness, love at every turn and you have been true to your word. Stay true Connecticut.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
The Mentally ill and the "I don't want to get involved" attitude of our society will let these types of cases continue till people start asking that people behaving strange or who are going off the rails be checked on.

Just makes me angry as **** with these events when details come out that a few people had concerns about the person but never stepped up and had someone official check them over.

Just freaking horrible!!!!!!!!

Crazy I called the cops Monday this week had them check on a strange car with three people in it parked in a weird spot between two daycare centers and across the street from a HS. My son's daycare was one of the facilities. I mentioned the odd car to the folks working there only one had noticed it and no one thought about just asking the police to send someone by to check it out. Like I said the "I don't want to get involved mentality" of our society is nearly as bad as the actions these people take.

·
Registered
121 Posts
The Mentally ill and the "I don't want to get involved" attitude of our society will let these types of cases continue till people start asking that people behaving strange or who are going off the rails be checked on.

Just makes me angry as **** with these events when details come out that a few people had concerns about the person but never stepped up and had someone official check them over.

Just freaking horrible!!!!!!!!

Crazy I called the cops Monday this week had them check on a strange car with three people in it parked in a weird spot between two daycare centers and across the street from a HS. My son's daycare was one of the facilities. I mentioned the odd car to the folks working there only one had noticed it and no one thought about just asking the police to send someone by to check it out. Like I said the "I don't want to get involved mentality" of our society is nearly as bad as the actions these people take.
Hit the nail on the head. These things don't happen overnight. This was a long process that culminated in todays' events.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Already yesterday there was another copy-cat shooting in Newport Beach, CA with 50 rounds in mall parking lot, sending people into a panic almost causing a stampede.

Fox News keeps hyping up the paranoia about Govt being out to get you and your guns. So I guess society will keep becoming more and more violent...with no nut-job or gun controls. Because Congress is too scared of the partisan activists.

Too many nut-jobs and psychopaths wandering the streets.

·
Registered
398 Posts
my response via facebook:
We say to children, "It'll be alright". Serve Him, pray, push back the darkness, love at every turn and you have been true to your word. Stay true Connecticut.
+1 Grossgary!
There are those who serve darkness and those that love the light. We make our own choices.

·
Registered
213 Posts
IMO - these types of individuals, and there is a very long list of them recently, are mentally insane not evil on purpose. Perhaps the ever-increasing amount of violence and lack of morals shown on television and video games...contributes. Also the breakdown of our families and social decline.

We use to have government - run mental institutions to treat the mentally insane. Conservative backlash against the welfare state later contributed towards the abolishment of federal support for mental health institutions. Maybe this is turning out not to be such a wise decision.

Ronald Reagan and the Commitment of the Mentally Ill: <br>Capital, Interest Groups, and the Eclipse of Social Policy

No easy answers. Not trying to be a partisan here. Just trying to figure out solutions. The world is watching.

·
Registered
514 Posts
The only thing about this that has any mercy at all is that these children are in heaven since they were not at an age of accountability as to whether they accept Christ as their Savior and Lord.

The same holds true for all the un-born babies that die each day.

·
Registered
866 Posts
The only thing about this that has any mercy at all is that these children are in heaven since they were not at an age of accountability as to whether they accept Christ as their Savior and Lord.

The same holds true for all the un-born babies that die each day.
Sooo if I brought my son up with no knowledge of God, (as I have no belief in such things), then at age 6 to 10, knowing nothing about God, they go straight to heaven, but when that child reaches age 20, and still has the same mindset, no belief in God, then they DON'T? just curious...

I personally dont see this event leading to any change in our large society. We are too divided on these issues for any real change quickly.
Washington Post just put out a very interesting article of data surrounding the issue.
Twelve facts about guns and mass shootings in the United States

·
Registered
514 Posts
Sooo if I brought my son up with no knowledge of God, (as I have no belief in such things), then at age 6 to 10, knowing nothing about God, they go straight to heaven, but when that child reaches age 20, and still has the same mindset, no belief in God, then they DON'T? just curious...

I personally dont see this event leading to any change in our large society. We are too divided on these issues for any real change quickly.
Washington Post just put out a very interesting article of data surrounding the issue.
Twelve facts about guns and mass shootings in the United States
I think they do.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I wonder what separates the people who go through with these kinds of acts from the people who glorify it (reddit.com/r/imgoingtohellforthis). Everyone wants to use the insanity label, but there are some sick fn people out there & the fact that people can joke about the deaths of 20 first graders is a sign that these people are everywhere. There no stopping this violence with the current consequence-free society we live in.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I wonder what separates the people who go through with these kinds of acts from the people who glorify it (reddit.com/r/imgoingtohellforthis). Everyone wants to use the insanity label, but there are some sick fn people out there & the fact that people can joke about the deaths of 20 first graders is a sign that these people are everywhere. There no stopping this violence with the current consequence-free society we live in.
I'm with you 100% on this.
If someone wants to take their life, go ahead and do it, in the woods so the coyotes and other predators have a chance to eat.

All this having to take others down with you is nuts.

·
Super Moderator
12,109 Posts
Just to head things off:

No religion.
No politics.

Any more of either will get this thread closed, as folks can't seem to stay civil when they get brought up.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Have you tried putting someone in a mental institution? Unless someone has an obvious episode in front of a emergency responder or mental health professional it is near impossible. Asking a police officer to just go by and "check them over" -- what can the officer really do? What will they find in the belongings they are not allowed to search? What will they find wrong with a quiet introspective demeanor that was the cause for concern? Someone seeming strange or off a bit is not the same as someone who is ready to go on a killing rampage. Unfortunately, mental illness is not as cut and dry as we would like it to be and there is no distinction of rights for someone with a mental illness vs. someone without one -- nor am I suggesting that there should be a difference.

Also, even if you one can get someone in need into a mental institution, there is next to no funding for long-term stays (greater than 2 weeks) in a quality mental institution with services and people who might actually help a patient--even on the best health insurance policy. In general, a lot of mental institutions are forced to only keep people long enough to "stabilize" them. A.K.A. Force the patient to take medicine under hospital care and send the patient back out on the street with a prescription the doctors know the patient will never fill nor take because the patient does not yet (and may never) accept his or her diagnosis. This is not the doctor's fault either. I think Scoobie hit the nail on the head by indicating a lack of funding:

We use to have government - run mental institutions to treat the mentally insane. Conservative backlash against the welfare state later contributed towards the abolishment of federal support for mental health institutions.
Another problem with treating mental illness is that a lot of it is treatable, but not curable. Long-term stay is a less than ideal solution to helping affected individuals, but it is perhaps all that we really have to keep the affected individuals (and those around them) safe. Though, the money required for it is perhaps impractical. There are definitely two sides to every coin.

Already yesterday there was another copy-cat shooting in Newport Beach, CA with 50 rounds in mall parking lot, sending people into a panic almost causing a stampede.
For situations like this--I know it will never happen--but I think the best thing anyone who cares about the welfare of society is to not overly publicize it. While it is a certainly a great tragedy when many individuals die, the amount of attention given to such an event is basically asking attention-seeking copy cats to go kill people. If we keep giving horrid acts immense national attention, the copy cats will keep pursuing the attention they want. Obviously, not all of these acts are from attention-seeking individuals, but I do believe that the ones immediately following a large news break tend more that direction. Again, I do not see this ever happening, but when the news media drags these events on for days and then more reports of shootings come out, it really makes me mad at the media organizations and ultimately at ourselves for taking such an interest in it (since the media tends to give us the news we are most interested in).

Snuff out the attention and reduce the frequency of occurrence.

·
Registered
866 Posts
I'm with you 100% on this.
If someone wants to take their life, go ahead and do it, in the woods so the coyotes and other predators have a chance to eat.

All this having to take others down with you is nuts.
Though this is a common assessment, I think it is not a correct assessment. Im never under the impression that these people that do this are interested in taking their own life as the number one priority. I mean, people that just want to take their own life usually just do. Suicide is happening all the time. Im not sure I even really got that till I started doing daily reads of the National Park morning report website. There are suicides ALL the time in the National Parks that most never hear about. Usually with firearms I might add.

I dont see these people as wanting to just killl themselves and "take people down with them".
I see these people either angry/hurt beyond their control (like the football player that shot his GF recently), and they simply dont see any future for themselves beyond their momentary plan (like to shoot their girlfriend), or just cant see themselves in prison.
OR
They are people that are very motivated for making a statement or an impact - rather than just wanting to kill themselves. The 2 kids in the Columbine shooting - (well one was sort of the instigator of the plan) wanted to make a statement before they planned to kill themselves. They TRIED to blow up half the school - but their plan failed miserably at the last minute so they just shot everyone and took themselves out.

I just think to say "why do people take people out with them, why dont they just kill themselves?" is missing the true motivations of their actions.

Another thing I find interesting - is how often others say "they were nice, normal, if a little quite and guarded, no one I would expect to do such a thing". Yet - people never change in their "expectations" of who is and who isnt the most likely to snap and become dangerous. Not that Im suggesting we can find an easy way to spot this ahead of time, but I wish people that were more quiet and having problems - would get a little more attention from others around them, rather than everyone being more worried about the people that are more obviously strange and outwardly weird - as those people usually never actually seem to do this sort of thing.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Mental health is a serious issue everywhere. His mother teaching a mentally tormented child how to use high powered fire arms is just beyond stupid. This had tragedy written all over it for years.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
About this Discussion
58 Replies
18 Participants
AWDFTW
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing