Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Outback 2.5XT & 2003 Mercury Grand Marquis
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Without taking some precautions. From what I have read removing the sub frame spacers and running LGT suspension bits (trailing arm brackets perhaps?) may help but I'm not 100% sure.

I bought the car as it is and this is the result of trying to get the alignment into specifications. For reference it is a 2005 Outback XT running (from what I was told) 2005 Legacy GT Sedan front & rear struts, springs and bump stops.

As you can see from the bottom snapshot my rear toe is out of alignment specifications. This is with both rear lateral links adjusted to the maximum (I verified this with my own hands on the wrench at the shop). Granted it isn't going to cause major issues at these specifications but it still should be noted and if you're in this situation you probably want to increase your tire rotation frequency.

I'm going to attempt to swap out the rear springs with a set from the LGT Wagon to see if the increased height and travel will get me back into specifications.

This is a picture of the car as it sits now:

Ride quality at this height isn't the best but it is better than other lowered cars I've driven (Nissan Sentra and an Infiniti G20). If the Wagon rear springs don't work I plan to try the Saggy Butt spacers or go back to stock springs and struts as they were included when I purchased the car.

I'll post updates here if I find any improvements with the rear Wagon springs.

Good luck out there guys and girls and remember lower responsibly :)
Thanks for reading.

·
Registered
2013 Outback 3.6R Limited w/SAP
177 Posts
I had never seen a slammed outback until I joined this forum. I do not get it. I just assumed everyone bought their outbacks for the ground clearance lol.

·
Registered
'11 outback 2.5i premium '12 impreza sport limited
3,814 Posts
a slammed outback is very popular. i don't get it either, but some people love it. a lot of kids say this "slammed outback = pure sex." it does look kinda cool, but doesn't make sense.

·
Registered
22,806 Posts
Might be interesting to find out if the suspension arms have a different length or shape between the Legacy and the OB. Which case no amount of messing with springs or struts will fix it other than running the stock OB stuff.

I do recall that most wagons have a different rear spring than the sedan so this could be your issue if they simply tossed sedan struts on the rear when what you really need is the wagon strut from the legacy. They offered the legacy wagon up through 2007 and your OB generation should be a match.

Worth checking on the wagon rear struts vs sedan rear struts I'd bet they are not the same and could be part of your issue.

·
Registered
2011 Tacoma TRD Sport Double Cab Long Box
2,893 Posts
I had never seen a slammed outback until I joined this forum. I do not get it. I just assumed everyone bought their outbacks for the ground clearance lol.
So did I...I lifted mine a bit, couldn't imagine lowering it. Sure, it'll handle better but if I cared about handling I wouldn't have bought an Outback. I find my sister's Legacy GT wagon annoying (and it looks like it probably has more clearance than that XT)--feels like I'm sitting on the ground and I have to watch where I go with it. It scrapes on some lesser-used dirt roads where mine would have clearance to spare.

You should be able to swap over enough Legacy wagon parts to get it to align, though...they're the same car.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Might be interesting to find out if the suspension arms have a different length or shape between the Legacy and the OB. Which case no amount of messing with springs or struts will fix it other than running the stock OB stuff.
Yeah I think there are a few things that are different. Someone on the LGT forum was compiling a list. I'll dig it up at some point and look through it.

I do recall that most wagons have a different rear spring than the sedan so this could be your issue if they simply tossed sedan struts on the rear when what you really need is the wagon strut from the legacy. They offered the legacy wagon up through 2007 and your OB generation should be a match.
Indeed. I'm actually picking up a set of LGT Wagon springs after work today from a LGT forum member. I plan to put them in this weekend. I'm going to measure before and after to see the difference.

Worth checking on the wagon rear struts vs sedan rear struts I'd bet they are not the same and could be part of your issue.
They are the same part number AFAIK. The OB vs. LGT wagon struts are different part numbers though. The LGT struts are shorter and have lower spring perches.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
a slammed outback is very popular. i don't get it either, but some people love it. a lot of kids say this "slammed outback = pure sex." it does look kinda cool, but doesn't make sense.
Yeah. I bought it like this. I don't mind how it looks (I prefer it to the stock OB stance really) and I don't off road at all so I'm really just looking improve the ride quality. If I can't get it to ride at like a stock LGT wagon then I'm going to put the stock suspension back in it and call it a day. My main complaint now is the alignment (obviously) and that it also tends to bottom out when I ride down my road over the bumps at a normal speed.

My plans are as follows:
Instal a new set of LGT KYB GR-2 rear struts.
Instal rear LGT Wagon springs. Give me a bit of travel back hopefully improving the ride quality.
Instal rear LGT control arm mounting brackets. Hopefully this will center the rear wheels properly in the fender wells. I don't know if they will help ride quality and the adjustability of the rear toe but for @$25/side it is worth the try.

So far the front seems to ride fine and dandy so I don't have any plans to change anything there.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This guy has figured everything out.
Info on OB to GT suspension geometry. (Removing spacer) - Subaru Legacy Forums

If you can find a wrecked LGT or someone parting one out (I think the sedan parts are the same) you can make everything OEM LGT for a decent price.
I have rear through that thread. Pretty good stuff but it's a little more in depth than I want to go. I think I'll be able to get away with what I have listed above with maybe now adding in the LGT upper control arms in order to take advantage of the extra travel that comes with the LGT springs and struts (no more banging while going down the bumpy road by hitting the bump stops).

Ahh the choices.

·
Registered
Onyx, 2008 LL Bean 3.0R and 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
4,110 Posts
Along with all of the helpful technical advice I saw this:
a lot of kids say this "slammed outback = pure sex
Things sure have changed since I was a kid. Isn't the Outback a station wagon? Now if it was a Chevy van with mag wheels, shag carpet, chrome exhaust tips, a circular tinted window, and a custom air brushed Viking scene on the side... oh yeh!

·
Premium Member
01 VDC, 05 R Sedan, 06 BAJA EJ257
16,293 Posts
Along with all of the helpful technical advice I saw this: Things sure have changed since I was a kid. Isn't the Outback a station wagon? Now if it was a Chevy van with mag wheels, shag carpet, chrome exhaust tips, a circular tinted window, and a custom air brushed Viking scene on the side... oh yeh!
That is funny. You know why they made the Impreza WRX 5 door don't you? Same thing. People want it. The Outback is just bigger.

Look this over. You may be able to keep your current ride height and still get the camber and toe spec'd. Whiteline KTA124 Control arm - complete lower front & rear arm assembly (camber/toe correction)

·
Registered
2002 Outback Wagon 2.5L Auto Weather Package
1,969 Posts
I think there are two reasons some people want to slam an Outback:
1. They can't find or afford an LGT wagon, and don't want an LGT sedan.
2. They like the looks of the Outback better than the LGT.
Considering an Outback XT is pretty much an LGT wagon with Outback body bits and suspension height, sort of makes sense. I actually was debating if I wanted to raise or lower my car, but since a big part of its mission is to cope with ugly weather and possibly terrain, yet remain a very streetable car, I opted to leave it stock height. In the long run I'll upgrade the dampers upon replacement, and possibly throw some better sway bars and bushings. If I was going to get another OB for performance, it'd probably be a Gen. 3 XT and would get LGT style lowering.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That is funny. You know why they made the Impreza WRX don't you? Same thing. People want it. The Outback is just bigger.

Look this over. You may be able to keep your current ride height and still get the camber and toe spec'd. Whiteline KTA124 Control arm - complete lower front & rear arm assembly (camber/toe correction)
Yeah I have seen those. Also a bit out of my budget though. These should do the same (only the lateral link) but I'm not sure on the quality.

I'm going to put the rear wagon springs in this weekend and see if it's livable. If the ride quality is better and I they get the rear toe into spec I'll stick with them.

·
Registered
current: 05 OB 3.0R wagon; first: 90 Legacy FWD 5MT wagon; immediate family: two Foresters, two (more) OBs, one Impreza
6 Posts
mgozz any update?

I am about to try spacers on mine, hope I don't have to make any more changes after that....

·
Registered
07 limited OB XT
80 Posts
The legacy gt manual wagon was only available in 05. If you wanted a turbo wagon in a 5speed with low miles, you had to go with an outback.

The options were better in 07+. Lowered Outbacks are way nice than a lifted Outbacks.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts