Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many other people have had someone tell them this when you were out in your outback??? I just want to hear everyone else's experiences of pushing they're outbcaks

One day I was out by the river (only place in norman to go off road), it's not too rough, mostly loose sand and steep grades. The majority is just like your average dirt road.

Well we're rollin right along, and I see these HUGE trucks driving up, so I reluctantly pulled into the brush, and one of the trucks pulls up and says "These trails aren't meant for cars."

Stupid people suck.

I just replied with, "I guess you haven't heard of subaru" and pulled out and went on my way. On those same trails, I've driven the driver's side wheels into mud (covering atleast 3/4 of the wheels) and drove on out. Some "wreckless" driving caused me to "lay frame" in the sand; guess what I did. I drove out. The best part is this short steep muddy grade. It's got to be at least a 40% grade. When you pull up to it, all you see is dirt; when you get near the top, it's just sky.

Enouen

·
Registered
50 Posts
Stupid people suck.
Amen.

I do a little light to moderate wheelin' in my Jeep and you'll find a few a-holes on the trails just like everywhere else in life. Plenty of people are ready to look down on you because they don't approve of the brand of 4x4 you drive, or your rig isn't built enough, or - God forbid - you're out here in a sissy CAR instead of a fer real four b'four.

Then there's the SUV crowd who think that simply because there's dirt under their tires they can puff up their chests 'cause their OFF-ROADING now! "See! I DO take my behemoth mall cruiser off road."

Yeah pal - this is a forest road that my mother could navigate in her Cavalier.

Last summer I ran into a guy in a Hummer H2 backing out of a sand road he'd gone down. I asked him what the heck he ran into that a Hummer couldn't handle. He said the trail was getting too narrow and he didn't want to scratch the paint!

Pay no attention to the off road snobs who were probably just irked that the Subaru was just as capable on that trail as their big rigs - and a lot more comfortable on the drive home.

rob

·
Tokyo's between my toes
6,696 Posts
It's true that you can scratch up your ride with overhanging branches, even when the track itself is easy to drive.

One thing that puzzles me about the Army's adoption of the Humvee - it was my understanding that one reason the original Jeep was so narrow was to have an abiliity to fit through narrow spaces - a ledge trail, between trees, etc.

·
Registered
50 Posts
The_Lizard said:
It's true that you can scratch up your ride with overhanging branches, even when the track itself is easy to drive.
Scratches? Nah - those are four-wheeler's pinstripes! Quite appropriate on a Jeep, but I admit I wouldn't want the Outback scratched up.
Ski4Ever said:
Glad to find someone else! I've got a '00 TJ. How 'bout yourself?
An '01 TJ. There's a picture in The Off-Highway Fun Thread

While the Outback isn't going to make it into the same places a Jeep can, it's still remarkably capable - it will make it through some pretty rough paths if you're careful about clearance.

rob

·
Registered
50 Posts
Ski4Ever said:
Hmm...seems as though the link to your picture isn't working for one reason or another. I see a little red "X" instead of your Jeep.
grrr. It's an external link, I flushed my cache and it re-loaded ok for me. Who knows?

Attachments

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I actually think it would be a blast to own a jeep. Of course I would want to have a Rubicon with all the bells and whistles, but alas, I shant for the time being. Subaru is more that good enough for me.

Enouen

·
Registered
98 Posts
enouen said:
I actually think it would be a blast to own a jeep. Of course I would want to have a Rubicon with all the bells and whistles
Naw...the fun part of owning a Jeep is doing all the modifications yourself. The only real difference between a Rubi and a regular Wrangler is the lower gearing when you put the transfer case in 4low, and the electronic differential lockers. You can do modifications to any Jeep and have the same things, but learn a lot in the process. I've done those modifications, as well as many others. It's all part of the fun and the learning. :D

Anyway, I digress....

Matt

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, but it's the name RUBICON! It's like the Renegades. Though those were heavy duty.

Enouen

·
Registered
137 Posts
This is really cool, back in 1987 I still had my first 1978 BRAT. At school a couple of guys were bashing another and used my BRAT as a "real" 4wd, a bare minimum, but, my 'Ru finally got some respect.

Earlier in the year on my way to Springfield, IL I was trying to make up some time going to a friend's house. I was rolling along at 90MPH in the rain and started to hydroplane a bit, so I slowed to 50MPH like the sticker on the door says to while shifting in/out of 4wd then zipped back up to 90MPH. Just about then I passed a full sized Blazer, the dude paced me for 20 miles then backed off. I went on like that for 10 more miles then cooled it. The fastest the speedo indicated was 105MPH. I have fond memories indeed, and I am alive to tell them and not in jail.

I did have to admit that 67hp just isn't enough to climb the larger dunes at Sand Mountain.

I think I will start a thread of the exploits of mighty Subarus. Check out my BRAT tales.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Anybody tried driving their OB up some steep loose dry dirt roads? There is a road I want to return to but I am skeptical. My friend and I climbed it in his 4runner I cant remember if we were in 4 high or 4 low... I think 4 high making me think my OB is capable, I dont want get stuck backing down some steep loose grade and start to slide if the OB isnt capable... I watched a video of some guys climbing their OB in Germany or something random ...the OB seem to struggle a little bit on the loose climb. But after driving in some deep snow awhile back I have mixed emotions about this one.

·
Registered
3,289 Posts
it was my understanding that one reason the original Jeep was so narrow was to have an abiliity to fit through narrow spaces - a ledge trail, between trees, etc.
I thought they were narrow to fit in the army plane.... Plus, the reason you mentioned too... I assume trail were narrow in europe back in WWII also!

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Anybody tried driving their OB up some steep loose dry dirt roads? There is a road I want to return to but I am skeptical. My friend and I climbed it in his 4runner I cant remember if we were in 4 high or 4 low... I think 4 high making me think my OB is capable, I dont want get stuck backing down some steep loose grade and start to slide if the OB isnt capable... I watched a video of some guys climbing their OB in Germany or something random ...the OB seem to struggle a little bit on the loose climb. But after driving in some deep snow awhile back I have mixed emotions about this one.
Turn off the traction control and you'll probably be fine. In most cases, if a standard SUV can get to / through / over something, an Outback can too..

One of the things I've been doing recently is trying to find little off-road trails in my area (I haven't found many, yet) to go mess around on from time to time, to better figure out my Outback's limits.. and mine!

Much better to find out a limit while I'm local than 1000 miles away from home in Colorado!

Here's one such example :

Go out, have fun, and be safe. My main rule of thumb when I'm exploring and testing limits is "go slow!" I figure I'll be much less likely to break something if I bump up against a limit.. rather than SLAMMING into one! :D

Oh.. And as for the original post.. I know this thread is ooooold, but..

My first time to this one little place in Colorado, I went exploring some back roads in my TSX before I went to check-in at the cabin. The lady asked if I had any problems finding the place. I told her it had been a little slow coming over Wuanita Pass, but I didn't really have any problems. She looked outside and said "you went over Wuanita in that!? Goodness! Most people won't even attempt that in less than a pickup or 4x4!" I kind of shrugged and said "well, I did have to go slow and pick my way through.. But, it wasn't that bad."

The next day, her husband came down to the cabin "to meet the guy who went over Wuanita in a sports sedan!" While we were talking, he kept looking over at the car and shaking his head in disbelief.. :18:

BTW, Wuanita isn't really that bad.. late in the season (when I went).. Early in the season, though, I found out it can be a bit of a pain, especially if they had a harsh winter before the spring thaws..

·
Registered
83 Posts
Naw...the fun part of owning a Jeep is doing all the modifications yourself. The only real difference between a Rubi and a regular Wrangler is the lower gearing when you put the transfer case in 4low, and the electronic differential lockers. You can do modifications to any Jeep and have the same things, but learn a lot in the process. I've done those modifications, as well as many others. It's all part of the fun and the learning. :D

Anyway, I digress....

Matt
Do they all come w Dana 44's now?? My 05 sahara had a Dana 35 w/3.73's instead of the Rubi's 4.11 dana44 out back.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Yeah I'm not trying to rally race, just climb a mountain road... tons in the foothills of CA where I'm from. Specifically I'm going to a peak of about 9000 ft. the last mile is a hike =) cant wait for summer.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Back in the 80's and early 90's we would take our 78 non turbo diesel 96hp VW Dasher back packing up in the coastal range near the Oregon/CA boarder. Some of our favorite trail heads were 2hrs up old logging roads. We would bomb up and down those roads doing 30-40mph I can't count the number of trips we made. Never once got stuck or had any issues except that one time my dad clipped a rock and sent the two piece VW hubcap flying down into a steep gully. We didn't take the E250 very often because it handled like crap and was terrible to drive on those roads.

The big monster truck dudes and jeep freaks on dirt roads crack me up. Only place the AWD really starts to help is in really loose stuff like sand or in muddy conditions. One trip I can remember hiking out to the car 2nd week in July and it started snowing and sleeting on us. Driving back down the mountain once we got to the car was an experience for sure. Sort of like driving down a dirt river waiting for the car to be floated right off the road and down an embankment.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts