Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
for about $3k. Is that too much? Car seems to be well cared for and is aesthetically in good shape without rust or major dents, scratches or dings. Mileage is true and it is a one owner vehicle. Still, it is a 22 year old vehicle, am I wasting money on it?

·
Registered
85BRAT97SVX03Baja5mtHonda's
2,174 Posts
most will need headgaskets replaced at 100k, and then most go til about 350k so it has lots of life left.

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
10,982 Posts
With that low mileage the value doesn't go back up it just doesn't go down. I would pay 3k and fully expect a head gasket and timing belt job in the near future.

If it hasn't had a timing belt job I would almost do it just based on age alone.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just rant the autocheck and while the CarFax didn't pick it up, that picked up a "collision with another vehicle" in 1999.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
With that low mileage the value doesn't go back up it just doesn't go down. I would pay 3k and fully expect a head gasket and timing belt job in the near future.

If it hasn't had a timing belt job I would almost do it just based on age alone.
I would doubt it has had a head gasket or timing job done. The first thing I would do is have fresh fluids throughout. Finiding that collision concerns me. However, it was 20 years ago, and the car was continued to be owned and driven by the same person for the next 20 years, albeit not very much.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
On average how much is a head gasket job if anyone knows?

·
Premium Member
2005 Mazda 6 && 2007 Outback 3.0 LLBean, WGO
386 Posts
HG requires removing the timing belt and both heads, so is often done by pulling the engine out, unless you DIY it on your driveway. Since you may as well do the timing belt/accessory service at the same fine, figure about $600 in parts, and 12-20 hours of labor. That turns into around $1600-$2500 here in the northeast.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts