Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5i CVT in White, Codename: Ditto.
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've had my new 2013 since January 3, and I've put nearly 1500 miles on it already. All commuting to work, nothing fun :(

I love the car...feels comfortable. There is always power waiting when I press the gas. It handles well at 110. Yes, 110.

The CVT is a little weird to get used to. I keep waiting for the tell-tale sound of gear changing and it never comes. Just stays at 5800 RPM and keeps going faster. I'll get used to it.

Some things I find unnecessary in the car:
Electronic parking brake. What is the benefit of changing from an old fashioned brake? I see none.

Hill holder button. Why do I need that AND a parking brake button?

MPG gauge. I think the digital readout is more than plenty, why the heck is there that other thing where there should be a temperature gauge?

Dual opening center console. What does anyone use that for?

Bluetooth. The Bluetooth sucks so bad it's not worth having. I'm using my earbuds for the phone. Knowing that there's Bluetooth I can't use is worse than having a car without it.

Electronic release for hatch door. What is the matter with an actual handle?

These all seem like things that add cost but no value. More electronic stuff to break.

Some things I like very much:
USB port.
Seats are comfy, even in my base model.
Very roomy car, especially in the back seat.
Ground clearance.
Speed.
Handling.
Gas mileage (24.0 so far).
Quiet interior even at high speeds.
Large door pockets and glove box.
Easy to fold rear seats.
Manual trans paddles on the steering column.
Radio controls on the steering wheel. (But the radio is sub-par.)
Oil filter on top of motor.

Anyone else with similar opinions?

·
Registered
2019 Bronze Limited
205 Posts
I have had my 2013 since January 4th, but I only have about 560 miles on it, as I have a very short commute.

I like the electronic parking brake, although I want to crawl underneath when it is warmer and see how it works.

I agree with the hill holder button, although I can almost see more use of it with a manual tranny, vs the cvt...

I have a temp gage, but that is because mine is a limited.

I had a dual opening center console on my last vehicle, and it is nice for me, as I can throw a few small things in the top part....like a small folding knife.

I think the bluetooth is very good in mine, but I will confess, I have not had a car with it before so I have nothing to compare it to. But it is very clear, connects instantly, and works flawlessly for me so far.

I agree that a handle on the back hatch would be just as good.

All the things you said you like I agree with, except I think the HK radio in mine is good. I do have the 9 speaker system, and it did take me some time and adjustments to get it to sound decent, but I think it does well now.

·
Registered
2012 Silver Outback Premium 2.5 CVT
175 Posts
I drove my wife's parents' Subaru wagon all the time in the late 80s and loved the hill-holder and still do in my OB. There's a couple places in town I get stuck at, stopped up-hill and not rolling back into the car 2 inches behind me is nice. No big deal.

I took out the stereo the day I got mine and put in a Kenwood with Garmin nav and bluetooth.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I took out the stereo the day I got mine and put in a Kenwood with Garmin nav and bluetooth.
Nice! I'm thinking about that as a summer project. The base model stereo is severely lacking. Especially after driving a 2000 Limited for 13 years. But I couldn't go Limited this time.

Looks like you also painted your wheels...I'm thinking about doing the hubcaps in black. How'd you do yours? Straight up paint or that spray on rubber stuff?

·
Registered
2013 2.5i Outback Limited w/ moonroof
227 Posts
The CVT is different but I don't mind it - wife's car has it so I've grown used to it through that.

I like the electronic parking break, although I find myself constantly pulling it instead of pressing it to engage. I too am curious how it works.

Hill holder seems like it would be a lot more functional for MT vehicles. Although, I have found my CVT to roll back a lot easier on hills then other vehicles I've owned before. I've only used it once to try it out, but I live in a generally flat area to make it a useful function for me.

Hated the MPG gauge as well which is one of the reasons I sprung for the limited.

The dual tray is for your iPod or cell phone. It lays in the tray and there's a hole that feeds the cord into the main compartment with the aux jacks.

IMO the Bluetooth sounds perfectly fine - I use it all the time actually. More then any other music input. I've also used the USB a few times when my iPhone needed charging and couldn't hear any sound difference. I like how I can access all my artists and playlists when plugged into USB directly through the radio.

Electronic hatch takes less effort to open then the manual pull. Helps if you have your hands full and can press the button rather then pull a handle. I wish they had a function like the new fords which open the tail gate by waving your foot under the bumper - great idea.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a temp gage, but that is because mine is a limited.
Interesting. The base model just has a light...a little blue thermometer when it's warming up, then it turns off. According to the manual a red one appears if it's getting too hot.

The MPG gauge just goes from "-" to "+" depending on how you're driving. Pretty pointless IMHO.

I think the bluetooth is very good in mine, but I will confess, I have not had a car with it before so I have nothing to compare it to. But it is very clear, connects instantly, and works flawlessly for me so far.
The HK unit is superior to the base model. My Bluetooth is very garbled on my end, but the people I speak to can't hear it. I suppose it could be my phone too. But this phone connected perfectly in a old Ford Escape.

·
Registered
2019 Bronze Limited
205 Posts
Yeah the limited gets a temp gauge where you have a mpg gauge...but we still have a mpg display in the center of the console, it is just led lights and goes from + to - as well.....just a little fancier, but just as useless, as the gauge.

I wondered if the bluetooth would be different dependent upon which stereo you had....

·
Registered
2013 2.5i Outback Limited w/ moonroof
227 Posts
Limited gauge cluster:

·
Registered
2017 Outback, 14 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 07 BMW E-93
604 Posts
Blue Tooth works perfect and better than my BMW does.
Parking brake is nothing more than a solenoid that pushes on a cable and releases the cable same as the hand brake would do.
All in all very few things I don't like. In fact buying another one when the 14
s comes out.
I don't like the remote start that shuts off when you open the door or inability to use nav when in motion but those are the legal nannies...

·
Registered
2013 3.6 White SAP
121 Posts
I would like to turn of the MPG meter. It is a distraction.
I suspect the electric parking brake was a litigation limitation feature.

·
Registered
2020 Touring XT, 2013 Outback Lim SAP 270K, 2003 Outback Lim MT 2.5L, 241K..
2,182 Posts
Im guessing there is something about the CVT that doesnt hold like an automatic does, thats why we have a hill holder - which just engages the parking break.

with you going 110, Im glad you live on the other side of the country. I am of the mindset that anyone going 110 is just endangering the people around them. Just my opinion.

Im also guessing that the electronic changes are just the way of modern cars and to try to compete with everyone else - Subaru has to keep up on the flashy add ons.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I love my MPG gauge. It teaches me to drive more economically to get more MPG.

My bluetooth works way better than what I had in my VW. Although I do have an issue when answering the phone calls, but the dealer couldn't duplicate the issue with their Droid phone. I have an iPhone 5.

I do not have an electronic release for the trunk.

Question about the parking brake and hill holder - can you use them both at the same time? I would assume so, but this is new to me.

·
Registered
'14 3.6R Outback
2,345 Posts
Hill holder- automatically engages the parking e-brake on a steep hill to prevent you from rolling back when you move your foot to the gas from the brake.

The button disables the feature. I've only used hill-holder in downtown Seattle, where it came in very handy... but not required. AC isn't required either, but it's also very handy. I think Subaru went with the e-brake because of the hill hold feature which they needed more because of the CVT. On steep hills this car rolls back like a manual. People who have only had auto's would get into accidents, I'm sure.

I never pull the button to release the brake, I just push on the gas... and it shuts off automatically.

On a side note: if you use the e-brake in a panic stop at speed it has an "anti-lock" feature. I found that fascinating.

I don't mean to be rude but doesn't anyone read the manual about things they down't understand?:28: It actually describes this stuff very well. Then come on here and ask away!:29: (Not directing this at anyone personally, it just seems to be a car thing in general)

Bluetooth: Doesn't work. Nice! You are not the first on here to report a problem but you are the first to say you wear head phones while driving. Nice!

I suggest you try to pair it again using the voice prompts. This time::RTFM: IF you still have an issue you might have a bad mic. More than one person has had a bad microphone.

I like the split console, it allows me to keep my change out of sight and on top of all the other stuff that goes in that cubby bellow.

I'm not going to tell you that traveling at 110mph (if that't what you meant) and wearing head phones while driving are very dangerous, especially together because you should already know this, and I'm sure more than one person will do that for me.

Glad you like the car.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Anyone figured out a way to get more heat on your feet without cooking your top half? I have a Limited with the automatic controls. I wish all trim levels gave you the option of having manaul HVAC controls. I have the mode set to my feet but, apparently by design, this mode also throws hot air against the windshield which rolls right up to my head.

·
Registered
2012 Impreza Sport Ltd 2013 Outback Limited SAP
1,495 Posts
Simply close the dash vents. After this action the air will flow downwards.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
I don't mean to be rude but doesn't anyone read the manual about things they down't understand?:28: It actually describes this stuff very well. Then come on here and ask away!:29: (Not directing this at anyone personally, it just seems to be a car thing in general)

haha. I have wondered this a bit on this forum.

But I work in an industry where we are reading manuals ALL the time to keep up with new technology - which changes in months.
I have found though that many people in general do NOT read manuals - for most anything - at least people I know. In fact they sort of scoff when I suggest it when they have a question. lol

Yes, the Subaru manual is FULL of a lot of boring repetitive safety warnings, many of which are obvious - but there are some really interesting things in there about the car and driving it.
Like what the consequences can be if you put anything under the seats, which I used to do in my old OB.
Or, for instance, I had no idea that it is advised to turn OFF the Vehicle Dynamics Control when you are starting on a steep slippery or generally slippery surface or if you are stuck somewhere being pulled out. . Also if you hold that button down for 10 seconds, the VDC is active and the switch is locked from use until you restart the car. And even if its deactivated, the light indicator may still come on as the brake control system will still work.
Might not be relevant to many, but point is theres a lot of info in there among all the repetitive and obvious crap.
I had no idea that little square in the bumper was for towing the car (well I mean pulling it out of a stuck spot)
or how to open the rear hatch if the button doesnt work, and many other interesting things.;)

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Anyone figured out a way to get more heat on your feet without cooking your top half? I have a Limited with the automatic controls. I wish all trim levels gave you the option of having manaul HVAC controls. I have the mode set to my feet but, apparently by design, this mode also throws hot air against the windshield which rolls right up to my head.

Im STILL trying to figure out the air system on the Limited (a month in). Even after reading the manual I dont understand why it does some things it does at all. Esp in full auto mode

·
Registered
2010 Outback 2.5 Premium
36 Posts
110? This car scares me at 80 with the rear end moving around. I would like to do the rear sway switch like I've read buy my wife doesn't appear to be interested (it's her car).

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
By way of explanation (not taking anything personally), I did read the manual cover to cover. I just don't get how these doohickeys I've listed improve the car. Seems to me that a solenoid activating the parking brake is just another thing to break whereas pulling a lever is 100% mechanical...and although it's not full-proof it should break less often.

I'm not going to tell you that traveling at 110mph (if that't what you meant) and wearing head phones while driving are very dangerous, especially together because you should already know this, and I'm sure more than one person will do that for me.

Glad you like the car.
Yeah, I guess plenty of others mentioned that :)

I very rarely speak on the phone in the car, and especially not at 110. On a 4 lane interstate highway at 3am I'm really not endangering anyone but myself, but I didn't keep it up there very long. Just a quick spurt between known speed traps to see what the car can do. It's sort of a tradition that every car I drive has to break 100 once. Word of caution...don't ever let me borrow your car.

In my old Outback I got clocked at 120mph :)eek:) on the same highway, early one Sunday morning. State Trooper gave me a ticket for doing 75 in a 55. Nice guy...he could have impounded the car and taken my license. That was my last ticket, 8 years ago...so I've been a good boy folks, not to worry! :29:

I do appreciate all the concern though :D

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
110? This car scares me at 80 with the rear end moving around. I would like to do the rear sway switch like I've read buy my wife doesn't appear to be interested (it's her car).
I found it quite solid at 110, especially compared to my wife's Dodge Caravan. Talk about a swaying rear end!

But I couldn't push it any farther without passing a speed trap at ridiculous speed so I had to let off the gas.

The most amazing thing to me was that it certainly felt like there was power available even at that speed. The car seems hungry to me... like it wants to go NASCAR and I'm just holding it back.

Now you all know why my wife said I couldn't buy a 3.6.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts