Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
It looks comparable to the Lifetime tent trailer for sure. This one is a few inches more compact, and appears to also have less interior room when in tent-mode. Price is comparable. The spec that jumped out at me was the fact that this trailer is less than 500 lbs (empty of course). That's a considerable difference from the Lifetime, which is at 700. Is it due to being slightly smaller? Is it due to lighter weight (and less durable?) materials? I have no idea, but it would be good to know because that could free up available weight to haul more stuff! And who doesn't love more stuff?

jamrogie

·
Banned
2007 Outback XT Ltd
847 Posts
It's an interesting design and a good size, but my concerns are:

The materials and build quality of the tent are probably marginal at best.
The platform and tent setup time is excessive, especially compared to a quality roof top tent.
The thin galvanized steel panels are slippery, will scratch, dent and eventually rust

For use in fair weather a few times each summer it would probably be fine. There is no way it could be considered an expedition or three season rig. What are your intended uses and future plans? A cheap, quick to deploy RTT on the car and a small open utility trailer might make more sense.

John Davies
Spokane WA USA

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks! I figured you could paint or powder coat the thing and be ok. I know a good powder coater here that would give me a good deal. Maybe rhinoline the floor.

I am looking for something to keep the wife happy..and off the ground. She also wants something we can all sleep. A RTT would be tough with 2+ a 6 year old. I have thought about a teardrop but run into the same issue..not enough room for 3 comfortably. The lifetime tent is nice but they discontinued the original model and I am not too keen on the new one. I hate the fact the sides do not fold in. I am leaning away from a popup, I have yet to find one really well built..for the money. They just look cheap!

I like the Sylvan GO but holy crap that is a lot of money!

Ultimately, I want something lightweight, mild offroad capable and well built! Am I asking too much?

·
Registered
2011 2.5i base
270 Posts
that trailer and tent look like a toy... I'm really not trying to say that in a rude way, but it really does look like a normal ground tent on top of a basic utility trailer.

something like this would be cool:
AT Chaser Trailer

I'm actually thinking about going the trailer route also though... have been looking at getting a cheap flatbed trailer, putting decent springs on it and making a rack for a solid RTT.

You could probably find a fabricator that could turn a flat trailer in to a camping trailer for less money than the LittleGiant.

·
Registered
22,802 Posts
Your requirements ie make the wife happy so your camping ability continues to happen ;-) same goal I had. Jumping jack is 6X8 the older lifetime tent trailer us 4x6. The sylvan is cheap low quality construction and thin one season tent nylon at I recall $7000!

The lifetime trailer and jumping jack have 3mill 3m industry standard canvas. No tent trailer sold period is made out of this level quality canvas other than the jumping jack and lifetime trailer. As long as your empty weight is 1200lbs and under you can haul just about any kid crap and camping gear you can find to purchase with no issues regarding weight. I have the older lifetime 4x6 trailer 890lbs empty. Two queen beds with privacy curtains. Im going to add the cot bunk bed to the trailer creating a bedroom for the kids and defined bed space. Plus if a grand parent taggs along the bunk bed can go on the main floor and grandma gets her own space / bed.

·
Registered
22,802 Posts
We run 21-26mpg towing the 4x6 890lb lifetime rig packed. We use a 42x42 inch roof rack bag from target on the top of the trailer kitchen gear sleeping bags and other stuff. We just drag the bag off the trailer set up the trailer then unpack the bag. I also wrap wood bundles in a tarp and lash it down to the trailer. Kids wagon etc etc.
Pict http://www.subaruoutback.org/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=15986&sort=1

I really like the 4x6 size fits in the garage with plenty of space for a car and bikes and other garage crap. Overall it is 12ft end to end and about 5ft 6inches wide. I agree the new lifetime rig fails the family tent trailer need and has a bizzar format in trailer mode. I would call lifetime and challenge them to get you the older design. Lol I think they can still build them if they see their new trailer fails to meet what people really want.

·
Registered
2011 2.5i base
270 Posts
LOVE these things! and you don't have to completely unload the trailer before you can set your tent up. :)

·
Registered
557 Posts
I found a video on YouTube for setting up the Treehaus.

It was pretty involved.

Don't get me wrong... I like setting up camp but wow.

The price is attractive but I will keep the LivInLite on the short list, too.

Joel

·
Registered
2011 Outback 2.5i Premium, CVT, Steel Silver, all-weather package. Upgrades: Tweeter kit, BlueConnect, media hub, remote start, Curt 2" receiver hitch.
1,127 Posts
$3,000? That's about what I paid for this:

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have always preferred RTT's over trailers and I have had a few of both. I've had my current Autohome for almost 3 years and it has never let me down in some of the nastiest weather too.

·
Registered
2008 Outback LL Bean 3.0R
27 Posts
I kinda like my old Coleman...

I paid $2,700 for it in 1998 and I have only had a couple minor repairs. And it weighs 990 lbs empty. I've no issues at all towing it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
What Size?

I have always preferred RTT's over trailers and I have had a few of both. I've had my current Autohome for almost 3 years and it has never let me down in some of the nastiest weather too.

Hey What is the size of your magonila? I'm thinking about putting one on my 08 outback. Wondering what will fit. THANKS!

·
Registered
2020 Onyx XT
1,018 Posts
I just don't see the attractiveness of roof tents. When I camp, I still need a car! I don't want to have to take down, set up, take down, set up. I wanna set up camp, leave camp, and come back to a camp already set up.

Campers, I get. Tent trailers, eh. I suppose there's some advantages to getting off of the ground. But that's really the only advantage over a traditional, stake in the ground tent.

·
Registered
22,802 Posts
I just don't see the attractiveness of roof tents. When I camp, I still need a car! I don't want to have to take down, set up, take down, set up. I wanna set up camp, leave camp, and come back to a camp already set up.

Campers, I get. Tent trailers, eh. I suppose there's some advantages to getting off of the ground. But that's really the only advantage over a traditional, stake in the ground tent.
Yep roof tents are a bit of a pita if your using the car during your stay at the same campground. The work around which seems to be the right approach is mounting the tent on a trailer which is set up with a cooking platform and gear storage unit etc. Which case you can lock up your gear and leave your bed made while you jump in the car and go check the local town, find that trail head for a hike etc.

·
Registered
2015 2.51 Limited, 2002 WRX Wagon - WR Blue
193 Posts
LOVE these things! and you don't have to completely unload the trailer before you can set your tent up. :)

Sorry, I have been out of the camping game for a while. What is this and where can I get one!!! That is awesome for the stuff I have in mind, had been looking at a Cricket Trailer but this is a serious option.

Thanks
Duncan.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Sorry, I have been out of the camping game for a while. What is this and where can I get one!!! That is awesome for the stuff I have in mind, had been looking at a Cricket Trailer but this is a serious option.

Thanks
Duncan.
Do a search for expedition trailer.

Also, browse over to expedition portal . com.

Unfortunately, if this is for a Subie you may find the weight of the trailer to much for our cars :(

Joel

·
Registered
2015 2.51 Limited, 2002 WRX Wagon - WR Blue
193 Posts
Was thinking of something for the Outback, yeah. Looks like I will be looking a little smaller. Has to be something functional that will fit the bill.

·
Registered
2011 2.5i base
270 Posts
Was thinking of something for the Outback, yeah. Looks like I will be looking a little smaller. Has to be something functional that will fit the bill.
They're from here

AT Overland

They are fairly heavy, but even fully loaded, there are a couple models that fall within max towing weight, although I doubt you'd want to be that close with how weak the engine is. this would just be a good base to start a harbor freight trailer build from.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts