Subaru Outback Forums banner

Thoughts on Walker front exhaust?

2K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  bheinen74 
#1 ·
I have the P0171 and have isolated it to an exhaust leak at the front exhaust directly off the manifold. I understand there's flex pipe under the heat shields that can crack, which seems to be my case. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts/experience with the Walker 52368 front exhaust pipe? It's listed at $120 and seems easy enough to DIY.

My '05 is a federal emissions. The rest of the exhaust is solid, just need to address this. Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
Talking to myself: seems the Walker quality is very hit or miss, so I may just pass on this one.

If anyone reads this, is the 2005 Impreza RS 2.5L front exhaust (from manifold to cat) cross over to the Legacy-based Outback?

#3 ·
Its best to just get one that lists for your vehicle. If it indeed is leaking from the flex joint, a exhaust shop should be able to chop it out and weld in a new one for $60 or so. Not sure if you are in an area with essential workers only. Just specify you want your heat shield back on lol.

#4 ·
Checking with an exhaust shop/repair shop would be the best way to go first.

Had that flex joint replaced on a older car a few years back.

#6 ·
To answer your question, yes: the USDM 05 Impreza (and Foz) also fit the 2005 Legacy/Outback (Federal emissions). 06 is different and Cali is different.

The 2005 system does not have a flex section in the front/pre-cat pipe. That's on the turbo manifolds (crossover pipe) or the 06+ cat manifold.

The Walker is decent, but at least you get a warranty. I'd avoid the cheap, stainless headers. Thin stainless tends to crack and you're right back to square one.

#7 ·
Thanks very much for this! I guess I'm just going to have remove my front pipe and see how bad things are and if it can be welded up. If you had to pick a replacement, which would you choose? OEM?

#9 ·
If the plan is to keep the Subie for a longer time get the OEM front pipe. Walker is more affordable but won't last as long as OEM. Local muffler shop should be able to cut the old flex and weld in a new one. Make sure there is enough clearance for them to do the job right. Had a bad experience with the local Meineke muffler shop that half-assed welded the flex section and used putty to seal the exhaust area they could not weld. The putty only lasted half a day. Very disappointed that they were not upfront with their inability to do a complete job. I strongly recommend going with a new flex front pipe and avoiding Meineke. Attached pic is the inspection mirror above the half-assed welding. Ignore the rusty axle shaft.

Attachments

#10 ·
Wow, that's messed up. I talked to a local shop Friday and we're going to see about getting this sorted, along with some other work. But yeah, I'll look at either OEM or a proper fix of what I have - I try to stay away from those chains at all costs.

Reactions: aggreX
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.