Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1997 Legacy Outback 2.5L that's giving me fits with a rough/low RPM idle. I'm trying to check the TPS with no success. The maintenance manual I have says to check the voltage changes while opening/closing the throttle between pins 1&3, it should vary from .5 to 4.5 VDC. I'm just getting 5VDC with no variation. I checked my sons 1998 2.5L, and it's the same, so I must be doing something wrong. Any help?:confused:

·
Registered
2002 Outback Sedan H6 3.0 VDC
151 Posts
There should be three wires coming out of the TPS. Which ones are you pulling the voltage from?

-Tim

·
Registered
06 OBW 2.5, 05 Forester, had 03 H6 OBW
5,927 Posts
I would remove it and check with an ohmmeter.
Assuming the pin layout is similar to mine:
Between the center pin and one end pin the resistance should vary smoothly from some low value to some high value with no sudden jumps or skips, from the center pin to the other end pin it should do the same thing but start high and end low.

If the TPS is bad there will be sudden jumps to higher resistance (or open circuit) or to lower resistance (or dead short).

The resistance between the two outer pins should be approx the same as the highest value seen during the other 2 tests.

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
14,289 Posts
I have a 1997 Legacy Outback 2.5L that's giving me fits with a rough/low RPM idle. I'm trying to check the TPS with no success. The maintenance manual I have says to check the voltage changes while opening/closing the throttle between pins 1&3, it should vary from .5 to 4.5 VDC. I'm just getting 5VDC with no variation. I checked my sons 1998 2.5L, and it's the same, so I must be doing something wrong. Any help?:confused:
Along with checking the TPS, you may want to check/replace the fuel filter. I doubt it's the TPS.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
From the replies I think the manual is incorrect. I've been pulling the voltage from the black and red wire. It sounds like the variation should come from the white wire- center pin (#2). My assumption would be that the other wire I should hook the volt meter up to would be the black (ground) wire.
I've already changed the fuel filter and replaced the IACS. Cleaned the Throttle Valve & checked the operation of the EGR valve...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Fox-This is my first time using the forum, so I'm still learning how to navigate & reply...
I'm going between the red & black wires. From the other replies, I think I should be going between the white and one of the others...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts