Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
05 Forester XT
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple months back i put an ebay cold air intake on my 98 Legacy L 2.2L, and it just so happened around that time my car started giving me problems... What happens is when i'm at a dead stop and i put the accelerator to the floor, the engine tries to rev then dies then tries to rev then dies continuously until i let off the gas, and sometimes it goes away after the car is warmed up, but it never goes away if the air conditioner is on. Anyways i thought it was the intake so i put the stock one back and i had the same problem, so one of the guys i work with on the weekend used work on all his old subaru's and he said it sounds like my Throttle Position sensor is fouled up or just in need of replacement. Anyone have any ideas? or has anyone had something like this happen to them cause so far on this website and scooby mods i haven't heard of anyone having the same problem...

·
Superb Moderator, ,
MY12 WRX, MY07 FXT
6,186 Posts
First off, 99% of the time I don't like to hear E-Bay and CAI intake in the same sentence. You have a MAF sensing engine, and that may have something to do with it. Do you have an oiled/gauze K&N type air filter? The oil can foul the air velocity readings being sent to the computer and can fool the ECU. Brian

·
Superb Moderator, ,
MY12 WRX, MY07 FXT
6,186 Posts
More than likely, too much oil got onto the MAF thin wire like element that is fooling your ECU when it comes to how much air is coming into the engine. There are ways to clean it properly, but be careful. Maybe do a search on NASIOC. Brian

·
Registered
05 Forester XT
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmm, I guess the MAF being dirty could do it, but then wouldn't that cause problems all the time, cause even if i'm just idling along and i stomp the gas I take off fine, unless the A/C is on, and sometimes if the A/C is off and the car is warmed up it'll take off ok, i really don't know, all i know is i'm really irritated with this problem...

·
Superb Moderator, ,
MY12 WRX, MY07 FXT
6,186 Posts
Start somewhere, clean the MAF filament or whatever. Be careful. Try that first. Brian

·
Registered
99 outback Limited 2005 Outback Xt Limited
15 Posts
Hello same exact thing happened to me , I heard that the maf could be hsorte out from the volume of air entering , I have been swapping things to try & fig it out, so far going back to my stock intake setup but w/ a higher flow panel filter is the only cure, I swapped the same setup on my 96 o.b it did the same thing . kinda bogged me out, oh well go w/ an underdrive pully & some headers & you'll be haooy
peace

1 - 7 of 7 Posts