Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed a new clutch kit on my 1999 OB DOHC. I was shocked that the throwout bearing (clutch release bearing) had a plastic or composite sleeve. I used the Exedy clutch kit. The Clutch I took off the car was not the original. The person I bought the car from had the original clutch replaced by a shady mechanic who used cheap parts (made in China). The throwout bearing I took off also had a plastic sleeve. I'm assuming the original one had a metal sleeve. Is this correct? One good thing about the plastic sleeve is that it will not wear a groove in the transmission snout. Do you think I should have sprung for an OEM bearing? My guess is that all new cars with Manual Transmissions have throwout bearings with plastic sleeves. Kind of like all modern cars have plastic radiator now a days. Thoughts? Other than the sleeve, the bearing seemed well built.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
I recal Exedy is the stock OEM parts maker so your probably in good shape.

No doubt the classic cutting corners doing it cheap to sell the car generally creates a very costly error and failure for the new owner generally sooner than later with the clutch jobs. Good catch

I'm assuming you replaced the bearing with the one in the Exedy kit right?

Common for the release bearing to fail before the clutch material is actually done. This is what causes lots of issues people think the clutch is fine given it holds but ignore the squealing from the release bearing till they have more or less wrecked their transmission

1 - 2 of 2 Posts