Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2009 Outback with factory crossbars. I'm looking into getting the Thule Force XL, which is one Thule's brand new models. Since it's so new, I'm assuming few people have experience with it, but it is the same length as the Atlantis 1800. So, does anyone with a fourth generation Outback have the Atlantis 1800 and, if so, could you let me know if you are able to open the hatch trunk all the way when it's on? Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
2013 Outback Limited SAP
76 Posts
I'm in the same boat. I'm debating between Atlantis 1600, 1800, and Sonic L or XL for my '13 OB Limited SAP. You know the Atlantis is a nicer box than the Force, right? The Sonic is the replacement to the Atlantis. Force replaced the Ascent box, which is a little more value focused.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm in the same boat. I'm debating between Atlantis 1600, 1800, and Sonic L or XL for my '13 OB Limited SAP. You know the Atlantis is a nicer box than the Force, right? The Sonic is the replacement to the Atlantis. Force replaced the Ascent box, which is a little more value focused.
Thanks Bill, I was not aware of that. Wanted to let you know that further research suggests that the hatch will open most, but not all, of the way with the atlantis 1800. Also wanted to let you know I found an excellent deal on etrailer.com

·
Registered
2013 Outback Limited SAP
76 Posts
I was in REI yesterday. The Thule guide says that an XL box should fit on my roof (2013) with hatch interference on Thule bars, but only the L will fit on the factory bars. Hmm.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have a 2009 Outback with factory crossbars. I'm looking into getting the Thule Force XL, which is one Thule's brand new models. Since it's so new, I'm assuming few people have experience with it, but it is the same length as the Atlantis 1800. So, does anyone with a fourth generation Outback have the Atlantis 1800 and, if so, could you let me know if you are able to open the hatch trunk all the way when it's on? Thanks everyone!
I just put a force alpine on our 2013 Outback and it fits quite well. I think it's about 3" shorter than the XL but it is at least that much behind the top edge of the windshield and it s not interfering with the hatch. I'd have bought the XL if the local store had one but the alpine seemed big enough for our skis or 100 pounds of duffle bags so I settled for the alpine.

I've no idea how different the 2009 and 2013 cross bars, hatches etc are but I'd say it is worth a try for you. Thule said the alpine wouldn't fit my car and it definitely does.

Oh, factory bars for me.

·
Registered
2013 Outback Limited SAP
76 Posts
I just put a force alpine on our 2013 Outback and it fits quite well. I think it's about 3" shorter than the XL but it is at least that much behind the top edge of the windshield and it s not interfering with the hatch. I'd have bought the XL if the local store had one but the alpine seemed big enough for our skis or 100 pounds of duffle bags so I settled for the alpine.
The local Rack Attack told me the XL would. That's what I'm going to go with I think. Thanks for letting me know about the alpine! That would be my box if it were just for my skis.

How's the wind noise on their new "ultra aero" Force boxes?

·
Registered
25 Posts
How's the wind noise on their new "ultra aero" Force boxes?
It's my first ever roof box so I don't have anything to compare to. But I do hear more noise than without. It doesn't drown out the radio or anything like that - but it is noticeable. It faded into the background for me pretty quickly but I could always hear it when I thought to listen for it.

- Bill

1 - 7 of 7 Posts