Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited XT
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
In case anyone is researching the optional roof cargo boxes available with purchase of the 6th gen Outback, I did get the "regular" one, MSRP $519.99 (I paid invoice, don't remember exactly what), and it turned out to be a Thule Force M 624. My dealer only was ever able to provide me with the Subaru part number, so I wasn't sure if I was matching up retail reviews of the product correctly. Hopefully this helps others.

It worked well as I filled it up within hours of install, and after the trip managed to take it off the car by myself (although it was awkward). I do wish that I could remove the key while the top is open, but really not a big deal.

It barely adds any wind noise, and fuel economy was reduced by a couple of MPGs, but hard to tell if that was due to the box or the full load in the car.

It did take the dealer almost an hour to assemble and install it. The parts manager did claim that all parts that I bought with the car had the 3 year, 36,000 mile warranty as with the car, so even though I paid about what it would have been at other retailers, there is that advantage, plus rolling the cost in with the car loan.

Attached pic is the sticker that was on the side. Other pic is of it on the car.

·
Registered
2020 Touring XT, 2013 Outback Lim SAP 270K, 2003 Outback Lim MT 2.5L, 241K..
2,231 Posts
Looks great! I love that red so much. I have a Yakima box slightly larger than yours and I love it for my 2013OB. What was the "assembly"? Aren't they just one piece?

Folding it into the loan and having the warranty is nice.

I also want to note though if anyone is near an REI, if you are a member, you get coupons and a dividend. The membership used to be 5 dollars back when I joined but now its 15 or 20 maybe (one time). But they sell all these boxes and 2 or 3 times a year you get a 20% off coupon for any full price purchase. That's how I bought my Yakima box years back.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited XT
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks great! I love that red so much. I have a Yakima box slightly larger than yours and I love it for my 2013OB. What was the "assembly"? Aren't they just one piece?

I also want to note though if anyone is near an REI, if you are a member, you get coupons and a dividend. The membership used to be 5 dollars back when I joined but now its 15 or 20 maybe (one time). But they sell all these boxes and 2 or 3 times a year you get a 20% off coupon for any full price purchase. That's how I bought my Yakima box years back.
All true. I considered going the REI route, but felt like I got the price basically to where REI was, without a delay (or so I thought).

The box is shipped from the manufacturer with the 2 shell halves nested, and the opener mechanisms have to be installed, as it was explained to me.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited XT
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I should mention that the 2020 has a good spot next to the footwell to step on when the rear door is open and one is trying to get to the roof (to use the cargo box). Even has texture so that one doesn't slip.

·
Registered
2016 2.5i Premium / 2020 2.5i Premium / 2021 Rav4 Prime / 2012 F150 ecoboost
2,675 Posts
Looks nice! Both the box and the red Outback!

It barely adds any wind noise, and fuel economy was reduced by a couple of MPGs, but hard to tell if that was due to the box or the full load in the car.
If it was a mostly a hwy trip, then almost all of the reduced mpgs came from the box (wind resistance). Weight only really factors in during acceleration (city driving). Trucks towing travel trailers all get around the same mpg (10-12) at highway speeds, no matter how long or heavy the travel trailer is. It's because of the equal frontal area and it's wind resistance.

·
Premium Member
2020 Outback Onyx XT
3,608 Posts
Looks nice! Both the box and the red Outback!

If it was a mostly a hwy trip, then almost all of the reduced mpgs came from the box (wind resistance). Weight only really factors in during acceleration (city driving). Trucks towing travel trailers all get around the same mpg (10-12) at highway speeds, no matter how long or heavy the travel trailer is. It's because of the equal frontal area and it's wind resistance.
In other words rolling friction is small compared to static friction.

·
Registered
2016 2.5i Premium / 2020 2.5i Premium / 2021 Rav4 Prime / 2012 F150 ecoboost
2,675 Posts
In other words rolling friction is small compared to static friction.
It's not really the static friction that causes more energy consumption during acceleration. It's the fact that the weight in motion (which is being accelerated) gains in kinetic energy, and that must come from somewhere (the fuel you burn).
Once up to speed, there is only wind resistance (the main factor) and some rolling resistance, but both of those are nearly independent of weight.

·
Premium Member
2020 Outback Onyx XT
3,608 Posts
It's not really the static friction that causes more energy consumption during acceleration. It's the fact that the weight in motion (which is being accelerated) gains in kinetic energy, and that must come from somewhere (the fuel you burn).
Once up to speed, there is only wind resistance (the main factor) and some rolling resistance, but both of those are nearly independent of weight.
Ah, that makes sense!

·
Super Moderator
2016 3.6 Limited with ES
2,957 Posts
I love it when you get all scientificy and use the words kinetic and static at the same time.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx XT in Autumn Green Metallic
883 Posts
I'll point out the Thule Force Large is on sale at REI for 30% off right now for $384.83. You don't have to be a member, but if you aren't and pay the $20 lifetime membership, there's an offer for signup that gives you a $20 giftcard after your first purchase over $100. 1 year hassle free return policy. If you purchase with an REI credit card you get 5% back in rewards cash at the store next year as a member around April.

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
4,751 Posts
I still like the Thule Sidekick $12.50 deal I got at a 50% off going out of business sale at a second hand store earlier this fall. ?

I never wanted to spend a bunch of money on one and then find out I either didn't really need it or didn't like having it on the car. I will try this one on the next trip I take. If it works out I will have done great. If it doesn't I'm not out enough to worry about. If it turns out I need a larger one this at least will be a good test to see if I like having one at all and I can upgrade later. And I'm sure either way I wouldn't have any trouble selling it and getting my money back out of it if I don't like it.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx XT in Autumn Green Metallic
883 Posts
I'm considering one. When I vacation, I'm usually pretty full in the car (40 qt Orca cooler, mini Acorn insulated charcoal grill, clothes, backpack, tent + items, metal detectors, sluiceboxes, 5 gallon buckets, etc.). All lightweight soft goods up top may help a lot.

·
Super Moderator
2016 3.6 Limited with ES
2,957 Posts
If you travel you might not think you need or can use a cargo box. It's the cost, how many times will I use it, does it make my butt look too big, etc.

But once you get one, you scratch your head and say, "Why didn't I get one of these sooner?" and "There's no way I could have stuffed all this stuff in the car."

Worth the cost and you have plenty of room. I'm running a 15 ft Yakima and it's great.

·
Registered
White 2020 Touring XT
586 Posts

Yeah, and a few times a year they have "garage sales" with ultra discounted prices on returns and discontinued items. Last time I was at my local one they had a Thule box for like 75% off because someone had returned it and lost one of the keys.

·
Registered
Tungsten 2015 3.6R Outback
589 Posts
I'm considering one. When I vacation, I'm usually pretty full in the car (40 qt Orca cooler, mini Acorn insulated charcoal grill, clothes, backpack, tent + items, metal detectors, sluiceboxes, 5 gallon buckets, etc.). All lightweight soft goods up top may help a lot.
Amusingly, it is usually only my wife and I on our three week road trips. But by the end of the trip, our OB looks as if we are living in it. We have all of our hiking and camping gear, souvenirs that we have purchased along the way, etc. On one recent trip, we packed a ton of clothing and gear as we started in Death Valley National Park and ended up in the snow in Montana. Our Thule cargo box really came in handy in helping us manage everything.

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
4,751 Posts
Yeah, and a few times a year they have "garage sales" with ultra discounted prices on returns and discontinued items. Last time I was at my local one they had a Thule box for like 75% off because someone had returned it and lost one of the keys.
Nice. I also got my Thule T2 bike carrier pretty cheap used with the keys missing. I think I paid about $5 each for keys plus a couple of buck shipping from etrailer.com. If it still came with one you could get duplicates cut for much cheaper, but I was happy to get by so cheap with mine. I thought maybe I would have to replace the locks as well initially.

·
Registered
White 2020 Touring XT
586 Posts
Nice. I also got my Thule T2 bike carrier pretty cheap used with the keys missing. I think I paid about $5 each for keys plus a couple of buck shipping from etrailer.com. If it still came with one you could get duplicates cut for much cheaper, but I was happy to get by so cheap with mine. I thought maybe I would have to replace the locks as well initially.
Yep. I saw one of them too, actually! You didn't happen to buy it at the Yonkers REI did you? :)

I almost bought a roof tent that was massively discounted, but it only slept 2 and we have two kids so ended up not doing it. Picked up a Thule rack mounted kids bike seat for $20 though, again missing keys.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts