Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!
21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited XT
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I'll point out the Thule Force Large is on sale at REI for 30% off right now for $384.83. You don't have to be a member, but if you aren't and pay the $20 lifetime membership, there's an offer for signup that gives you a $20 giftcard after your first purchase over $100. 1 year hassle free return policy. If you purchase with an REI credit card you get 5% back in rewards cash at the store next year as a member around April.
I looked back at my notes this morning and I figure that I paid about $335 for this box that I got through the dealer, so that is competitive if one negotiates well and gets to at least invoice.

·
Registered
2020 Touring XT, 2013 Outback Lim SAP 270K, 2003 Outback Lim MT 2.5L, 241K..
2,231 Posts
Yeah, and a few times a year they have "garage sales" with ultra discounted prices on returns and discontinued items. Last time I was at my local one they had a Thule box for like 75% off because someone had returned it and lost one of the keys.
yep ^ THIS!
I was one of those "crazies" who used to show up at 4AM to get in line for what were then called "used gear sales". I got so much nearly new and pretty much new stuff, for over half off. My friend was friends with REI employees and they would even further discount THOSE prices for us. They used to do tent building contests for those waiting in line with prizes. haha it was a lot of fun, then great deals on everything. REI USED TO take ANYTHING back, no matter how used it was or how long you had it, as long as they could find that they sold it, they would take it back, no challenges. So some things were def used, but also it would include any returns that couldnt be sold as brand new. Some sleeping bags, someone tried once and said "I was too cold/warm" and it would be pretty much new - huge discount. Clothing, all sorts of gear big and small, and yes I would see those boxes in the sales too.
This was about 20 years ago.
Now, sometimes they cant find something in their computer inventory after a time, like a shirt with tags I tried to return I found in a drawer 3 years later that I know was from REI (most of my clothing is bought through them), so they wouldnt return it even for credit. Also, their official policy now is within a year I believe it has to be returned, way different then the past, and if you arent a member, you NEED the receipt for a refund, otherwise you get credit. As they got bigger, their policies tightened up, so those gear sales arent quite the big "garage sale" they used to be, but still good for discounts. I do miss those old sales though. I used to get tons of stuff that way.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi,
first time posting here :)

I have an Onyx on order, it should arrive mid December.
I want to buy a cargo box ahead of taking possession of the car.

Can someone with a 2020 outback measure the distance from the front crossbar to the open rear hatch?
I have looked around the web and have not found this dimension.

This is the dimension that both Thule and Yakima reference in their vehicle fit documents.

thanks,

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
I just did a measurement and it looks like 54". But If I am not mistaken, the Yakima boxes can adjust forward and back a bit from their latches- meaning you can slide the latches inside the box forward and backward a little. So there is a little play forward and backward.
I cant remember what size mine is - its fairly big - I haven't used it in a few years- it was always fine on my 2013OB. I plan to use it on the 2020.
I do like the Yakima stuff over the Thule but that is based on what I was looking at in the 2000s when I was buying a ski carrier and a box - havent assessed the newer offerings lately.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited XT
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Yes, I also measured 53 inches from the center of the front bar to the spoiler on the hatch when open, with a bit of room, so maybe 54 inches.

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
I was looking at this feature too. The problem in my case is I am 6"1' and I would hit my head against the gate while loading things in the back if it was any lower than the highest position it was in. Something to consider if you are tall.
I wish I had your problem. haha 5'9" here.

·
Registered
2016 2.5i Premium / 2020 2.5i Premium / 2021 Rav4 Prime / 2012 F150 ecoboost
2,675 Posts
I was looking at this feature too. The problem in my case is I am 6"1' and I would hit my head against the gate while loading things in the back if it was any lower than the highest position it was in. Something to consider if you are tall.
I know exactly what you mean. I am 6'3".
But if it's only for a limited time when the box is up there? I'd just wear a bicycle helmet, lol. There are disadvantages to being tall.

·
Premium Member
2020 Outback Onyx XT
3,606 Posts
I know exactly what you mean. I am 6'3".
But if it's only for a limited time when the box is up there? I'd just wear a bicycle helmet, lol. There are disadvantages to being tall.
True. In my case I am out on the road for weeks at a time so I think it may be a problem :)

·
Registered
2020 Touring XT
45 Posts
I'll point out the Thule Force Large is on sale at REI for 30% off right now for $384.83. You don't have to be a member, but if you aren't and pay the $20 lifetime membership, there's an offer for signup that gives you a $20 giftcard after your first purchase over $100. 1 year hassle free return policy. If you purchase with an REI credit card you get 5% back in rewards cash at the store next year as a member around April.
Thanks for the heads-up on the REI sale. I ordered a Thule Force Large when I saw the post last week for the 30% off price. When I checked on the ship-to-store status this week, it was supposed to show up this coming Sunday, and I noticed they actually dropped the price again - now 44% off at $307.79. The box came in early and they adjusted the price for me. Went on the car in less than 10 minutes; no interference w/ the hatch (I tried to move it a bit forward of the shark fin so it wouldn't rub. Satellite sometimes takes an extra couple seconds to start, but it still works). Will put it through its paces tomorrow as I head to Mammoth - and according to the weather forecast, I'll also get to see how the car drives in the snow.

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
Thanks for the heads-up on the REI sale. I ordered a Thule Force Large when I saw the post last week for the 30% off price. When I checked on the ship-to-store status this week, it was supposed to show up this coming Sunday, and I noticed they actually dropped the price again - now 44% off at $307.79. The box came in early and they adjusted the price for me. Went on the car in less than 10 minutes; no interference w/ the hatch (I tried to move it a bit forward of the shark fin so it wouldn't rub. Satellite sometimes takes an extra couple seconds to start, but it still works). Will put it through its paces tomorrow as I head to Mammoth - and according to the weather forecast, I'll also get to see how the car drives in the snow.
View attachment 474420
Thats awesome!! Congrats. Im so jealous - I wont make it up to Mammoth till the first week of January. Have fun!!

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Outback Premium
5 Posts
I got a Thule Force XL for my 2019 earlier this year and it is the prefect size. It does not hit the rear hatch when fully open. REI and Thule has stopped selling these with Force XT replacing it, but got lucky my dealer has 2 stock left. Got it discounted for just $470 versus $590+ msrp. Could have gotten the L but the XL seems made fit for the Outback. Still cant post pics.

·
Registered
19 Limited/20 Onyx (7TH)
793 Posts
is that 75 inches, Looks great!
My Subaru Thule (65 inches) is now on back order. I may cancel.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts