Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Crystal White Pearl Outback 3.6R Touring
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Those of you that have installed the Thule crossbars to the Touring, have you noticed any difference in wind noise ? The Outback is so quiet for 2018, just wondering if it made any difference ? According to the info on them, they are designed to reduce any kind of wind noise that other crossbars might have. I think they are a great addition to the look of the Outback whether you use them a lot or not. Let me know your suggestions as to the looks and quietness. Thanks ! Loving my new ride !

·
Registered
2017 Outback Limited 2.5, Twilight Blue/Ivory, Eyesight. Also 1995 BMW 525i with 240,000 miles
2,291 Posts
Those of you that have installed the Thule crossbars to the Touring, have you noticed any difference in wind noise ? The Outback is so quiet for 2018, just wondering if it made any difference ? According to the info on them, they are designed to reduce any kind of wind noise that other crossbars might have. I think they are a great addition to the look of the Outback whether you use them a lot or not. Let me know your suggestions as to the looks and quietness. Thanks ! Loving my new ride !
Are you saying you would add the cross bars just for looks?

Reactions: RDL

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you saying you would add the cross bars just for looks?

No..not just for looks, I would use them, I just don't travel on a regular basis, but nice to have when I do, and I like the looks of them.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport. Love the Orange.
4,017 Posts
According to the info on them, they are designed to reduce any kind of wind noise that other crossbars might have.
Marketing BS. Maybe with all the windows/sunroof closed they might be quieter than stock swing bars but for me not enough to notice. With sunroof open the are way....way noisier. Mine whistle at 15-20mph. 40mph and above miserable. Hard to carry on a normal conversation.

I think they are a great addition to the look of the Outback whether you use them a lot or not. Let me know your suggestions as to the looks and quietness. Thanks ! Loving my new ride !
+1 My wife loves the look. Says it looks macho. They are on year round. Momma happy, Everybody happy.

·
Registered
2017 Outback 3.6 Touring, which replaced '05 Outback XT
775 Posts
I don't notice wind noise from the cross bars, but then I also leave the roof closed. When you put them on, make sure the fatter edge is toward the front of the car, like an airplane wing. By contrast, I had Thule rectangular bars on my last car, and they made lots of noise.

·
Registered
2018 Outback Touring 2.5i
333 Posts
Mine whistle a lot above 40 mph, I've been taping joints and seams and moving the front bar forwards and backwards with no changes (surprisingly little change, in fact). still trying to figure out exactly what is whistling (or if it's just the whole setup). Yakima now has a fit kit for the Touring rails (and 50" bars, which would be nicer than either the 47 or 53 of Thule), but I'd rather not buy a new roof rack.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys ! I might have to rethink whether to get them or not....wouldn't use them that often. I'll take a look at the Yakima also !

·
Registered
'17 3.6R Touring Brillant Brown Pearl
2,424 Posts
I've never had the need for crossbars in over 15 years of Outback ownership. I've removed the crossbars on every one we've owned. And IMO, love the look of the touring low pro roof rails. One of my favorite things. Every other Outback looks odd with those 5" protrusions sticking up off the roof.

Of course, we have other vehicles available for serious hauling. But even when traveling, haven't really needed the option of added storage. We can usually fit everything we need in the car with the seats up.

Some peeps need to travel lighter? Back pack style.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've never had the need for crossbars in over 15 years of Outback ownership. I've removed the crossbars on every one we've owned. And IMO, love the look of the touring low pro roof rails. One of my favorite things. Every other Outback looks odd with those 5" protrusions sticking up off the roof.

Of course, we have other vehicles available for serious hauling. But even when traveling, haven't really needed the option of added storage. We can usually fit everything we need in the car with the seats up.

Some peeps need to travel lighter? Back pack style.

Yeah..I'm thinking I can travel light enough without getting the crossbars. Plenty of room in the Outback ! An unnecessary expense...I think I've been talked out of them LOL

·
Registered
333 Posts
Yeah..I'm thinking I can travel light enough without getting the crossbars. Plenty of room in the Outback ! An unnecessary expense...I think I've been talked out of them LOL
For me it's the combination of a kayak, canoe, and the occasional 12ft 2x6. And it's a bit easier to pick out in a parking lot.

·
Registered
'17 3.6R Touring Brillant Brown Pearl
2,424 Posts
For me it's the combination of a kayak, canoe, and the occasional 12ft 2x6. And it's a bit easier to pick out in a parking lot.
That's what a real truck is for. Not one of those Limo's with a 5' box behind them. A truck with an 8' box, and a lumber rack. (I've got one parked in the garage out back) :|

·
Registered
2017 Outback 3.6 Touring, which replaced '05 Outback XT
775 Posts
I got to thinking more about the noise issue. The bars were on the car when I bought it. They did not have the slider on the slot underneath closed, nor the rubber strip on the under side ends. That opening could make them noisy, so those are items to check. Thule wouldn't have bothered designing those features unless it made a substantial difference. The rubber filler can be bought from Thule parts for a few dollars.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport. Love the Orange.
4,017 Posts
I got to thinking more about the noise issue. The bars were on the car when I bought it. They did not have the slider on the slot underneath closed, nor the rubber strip on the under side ends. That opening could make them noisy, so those are items to check. Thule wouldn't have bothered designing those features unless it made a substantial difference. The rubber filler can be bought from Thule parts for a few dollars.
Bingo! Mine were delivered installed with sliders wide open and no rubber fillers on the underside where the bars stick out past the feet. Whistling was brutal. Dealer had no clue and referred me to Thule. I called Thule and they were great. Apologized for the dealer screw up and overnighted rubber filler no charge. I later found out the locks on each bar had different keys. Again no questions asked Thule sent a matched set of four new locks. I am very impressed with Thule. The flunkie installers at the dealer, not so much.

If only I had requested the dealer leave the crossbars in the back when I took delivery.....Oh yeah I did...... twice.

·
Registered
333 Posts
That's what a real truck is for. Not one of those Limo's with a 5' box behind them. A truck with an 8' box, and a lumber rack. (I've got one parked in the garage out back) :|
That was plan B, but since I have a 100+ miles/day commute, I still would need something with better gas mileage, which would mean 3 cars, which wouldn't work with our single-wide driveway, so we'd need a new house, ...

·
Registered
2018 Subaru Outback Premium 2.5L
13 Posts
Truckaru an' a Limo too?

I'd agree that's what a real truck is for; however, where I'm from the "state car" is a Subaru Outback. Outbacks are typically known as the 'family' truck even though it's a not a pickup. Pickups are certainly one of the top sellers if Outbacks are off the list in this state. The Outback works exceptionally well for both purposes - a truck, and a family vehicle. The Outback is the only vehicle that comes anywhere close to what the old woodie station wagons were back in the '60' and '70's and goes way beyond that with it's off-road and truck-like transport capabilities. I've often found the Subaru outperforms a "real" truck in a number of instances, although both vehicles shine of their own accord for their own reasons. I don't think Subaru's attempt at a more truck-like vehicle did very well (at least around here) as the Outback really does have good towing and carrying capacities (people, gear, and yes if you choose - lumber) that are not often beat.

·
Registered
2018 Subaru Outback Touring 3.6
41 Posts
Yes. Wind noise is present when window and/or moonroof/sunroof is opened/tilted. I wish there was a way to lessen the noise or even eliminate it completely. When the weather, I may move both bars further back to see if the noise reduces or eliminated. I might ultimately remove them and store them in the garage or the shed until such time I need them. I looked into the Thule fairing but after hearing/reading that it could damage/wear the paint if not placed above the sunroof/moonroof. Then I will not be able to use the sunroof/moonroof and this is not an acceptable option.

·
Registered
2018 Touring 3.6R
903 Posts
Finally threw the Thule bars on so my wife could grab a couple christmas trees last week. She said the empty bars have a very loud whistle above 50mph. Barely noticeable below that. Moonroof was NOT open/cracked. I located the bars based on the pictures provided in the instructions. She said she would never want them on the car all the time with that much noise.

·
Registered
'18 OB Touring 3.6R Wilderness Green
5 Posts
Finally threw the Thule bars on so my wife could grab a couple christmas trees last week. She said the empty bars have a very loud whistle above 50mph. Barely noticeable below that. Moonroof was NOT open/cracked. I located the bars based on the pictures provided in the instructions. She said she would never want them on the car all the time with that much noise.

Did you install the rubber inserts and close the sliders? I've had mine for the last 6 months and only noticed whistling 2-3 times on the interstate during heavy wind/rain

1 - 20 of 30 Posts