Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Installed a Thule 9043 Helium Aero 3 Bike Rack on my 2" Torklift Ecohitch.

This is an excellent bike rack, nice tight fit, pretty light, integrated locks.

I have been told that this rack will not work with the OEM hitch.

Rack is expensive but I found one for a very fair price on eBay.

Here a a few photos.

IMG_0476.jpg

IMG_0477.jpg

IMG_0478.jpg

·
Premium Member
2016 Outback 2.5i Limited, Twilight Blue Metallic.
636 Posts
That is a nice looking bike rack!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
The OEM hitch has the small receiver. The OP stated this one was the 2". I suspect that is why the statement was made. I know of no reason why a Thule rack with the appropriate receiver size would not work with just about any hitch. It would be a pretty strange installation that would not provide sufficient clearance to allow that rack to be installed otherwise. Check with any vender you are considering. REI would be a good start. Corrrect me if I'm wrong. Tom

·
Registered
2016 OBW Premium [prev owned 09,06,03,01 OBW]
329 Posts
Certain Thule models have a hitch mount that fits both 1-1/4 and 2" hitches. Basically the mount is 1-1/4", but there is an adapter and clamp that allows it to be used in a 2".

My guess is the OP's statement has something to do with the holes not lining up correctly for where you put the pin through the receiver and hitch mount/drawbar. I've heard of some people drilling another hole in the rack drawbar to accomodate.

I'm curious how you will like the Thule long-term. I've known a couple people who had the swing-away version, with the "multi-fit" hitchbar that supposedly fits both 1-1/4 and 2" receivers, and they complained about way too much sway of the rack at the hitch. Indeed, at a local REI's recent garage sale there were FIVE of these racks that were returned being sold. Reading online reviews shows that pretty much everyone complains about the rack swaying (note that I'm referring to the swing-away version, not the tilt-down version, but I would think that would have the same issue).

IMO, if you have a 2" receiver, buy a rack that has a 2" drawbar/mount, not an adaptable one. The wider cross-section is WAY stiffer. I have an earlier Thule swing-away hitch-mount rack with a 2" mount and it's rock solid. Drove almost 9,000 miles with it on three bikes on it on the back of my campervan this summer with zero issues. I also have a newer Yakima swing-away carrier with a 2" hitch that I grabbed at an REI garage sale in December.

·
Registered
2019 Outback 2.5i base
439 Posts
.......... I also have a newer Yakima swing-away carrier with a 2" hitch that I grabbed at an REI garage sale in December.
SwingDaddy? I just got one for my 2013 Outback. The wedge inside the hitch keeps hitch sway down to nothing.

Other than weighing a gazillion (53) pounds, I'm really liking it for carrying my Trek and my grandson's 20" Mongoose BMX around.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My apologies for bumping a four year old thread. Does anyone know definitively why this rack will not fit the factory hitch? I'm getting the factory hitch installed and am looking at 3-bike racks and this one is at the top of my list.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts