Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Outback Limited SAP
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After much dilberation over whether to get black or silver (Photoshop mock up attached)for my Black SAP '13 Outback, I finally ordered the silver.

This is a 17 cubic foot box. Hopefully it fits fine. I will update with pics once I get it on to show if it fits without interference.

FYI to REI members, today starts their 20% Member Coupon sale and it applied to Thule.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport. Love the Orange.
4,017 Posts
While they both look good I'm in favor of the silver too. I think the silver mirrors/door handles compliment the silver more than black. Congrats, now fill it up and go somewhere.;)

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
My vote is for the silver.

·
Registered
2013 Outback Limited SAP
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just arrived at REI and threw it on quickly. Without optimizing, the hatch is hitting slightly but shouldn't be a problem.

·
Registered
2011 3.6R Limited in Azurite Blue
56 Posts
Looks great! Did you notice any increase in noise being directly over the sunroof? This is the box I'm contemplating and when I have my shade open, I already notice a fair amount of noise (Believe me, not bad especially since I came from a 4dr Wrangler. Also, could you snag a pic of the width left to right? Thanks!

·
Registered
2013 Outback Limited SAP
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looks great! Did you notice any increase in noise being directly over the sunroof? This is the box I'm contemplating and when I have my shade open, I already notice a fair amount of noise (Believe me, not bad especially since I came from a 4dr Wrangler. Also, could you snag a pic of the width left to right? Thanks!
I'll report back in a couple days. I literally just drove home 2 miles on city roads home from REI.

It's fairly wide. When pushed all the way to one side, there's probably only 6" of cross bar left. Will snap a pic tomorrow.

·
Registered
2013 Outback Limited SAP
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here is a picture in broad daylight and the one you requested straight on. I have it positioned more towards the passenger side for easier access. Does it make a difference in anyone's experience?

·
Registered
2013 Subaru Outback 2.5i 6spdMT
71 Posts
That thing is huge!!! Your photoshopping was decieving.

Looks good, question:

Looks like it's mounted to the stock rack, did you have to move the crossbars to the alternate holes to get the right spacing?

Not that it matters, just curious. Also, is that where the kids go when they're mis-behaving? :D

·
Registered
2013 Outback Limited SAP
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That thing is huge!!! Your photoshopping was decieving.

Looks good, question:

Looks like it's mounted to the stock rack, did you have to move the crossbars to the alternate holes to get the right spacing?

Not that it matters, just curious. Also, is that where the kids go when they're mis-behaving? :D
Haha, yup, apparently my Photoshop work wasn't done to scale. It is mounted to the stock rack, and like I said I just wanted to get it on so I could take it home. I plan on doing some adjustments tonight. Right now the rear cross bar is in the forward position, but I'm going to try moving into the wider position as Thule suggests have the as much distance between the crossbars as possible. I also need to tweak so that it's not hitting. It's currently just touching when the hatch is up.

No kids here, just a lot of ski trips. We're also planning on moving cross country this summer including a 2 month road trip so I wanted the extra cargo area for camping gear.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
I'll report back in a couple days. I literally just drove home 2 miles on city roads home from REI.

It's fairly wide. When pushed all the way to one side, there's probably only 6" of cross bar left. Will snap a pic tomorrow.
I doubt you would notice anything one side to the other with that small of a difference.

·
Registered
2013 Outback Limited SAP
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I can confirm that the Sonic XL will not fit on the 2013 factory cross bars with the rear cross bar in the wider position. :28:

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
Same as the Yakima(factory) Load Warrior basket with or without the extension.

·
Registered
2013 Outback Limited SAP
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Took it out on the highway for the first time this weekend and heard one of the most annoying sounds I've ever heard. This thing has a rattle/buzz at 55-60+ mph. Anyone run into something like this before with a cargo box. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Yes, that's a common issue with Outbacks. Something about the weight of the box lifting up the front weatherstriping, and causing the buzz. I drove all the way from Colorado to Ohio with it last summer, and back again!

No fix that I could find...

-Michael

Thule Sonic Xl rattle - YouTube

Took it out on the highway for the first time this weekend and heard one of the most annoying sounds I've ever heard. This thing has a rattle/buzz at 55-60+ mph. Anyone run into something like this before with a cargo box. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2013 Outback Limited SAP
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes, that's a common issue with Outbacks. Something about the weight of the box lifting up the front weatherstriping, and causing the buzz. I drove all the way from Colorado to Ohio with it last summer, and back again!

Well, good to hear that I'm not alone, but I refuse to put 8,000 miles on the car in two months with this going on the entire way haha. Thankfully REI has a 100% return policy if I can't get this thing fixed.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
My 2004 Thule is silver more or less the same box just narrower. Ours is 30 inches wide leaving just enough space to fit two bikes on each side of a 54 inch bar.

The silver keeps the items in side cooler when using it during the summer. Just be cautious while storing your box given you can scuff up the paint on the box when walking through narrow doorways or when stored in a tight area etc. Other than that our box is probably the single best car related thing we have purchased all these years. It's been on a 2001 Legacy GT - 2001 Jetta 1.8T - 1993 Land Cruiser - 2007 Sequoia and a friends BMW 330 over the years. Great box!!!!!!!

Oh and our 2010 OB also

·
Registered
2013 Outback Limited SAP
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

With the help of a couple other threads, I easily found the culprit. By placing some Painter's tape over the FRONT PASSENGER SIDE hole where the cross bar goes while not in use, I removed this rattle. Air must be getting in there and causing the rattle. It's amazing what a single piece of tape can do for your sanity.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
With the help of a couple other threads, I easily found the culprit. By placing some Painter's tape over the FRONT PASSENGER SIDE hole where the cross bar goes while not in use, I removed this rattle. Air must be getting in there and causing the rattle. It's amazing what a single piece of tape can do for your sanity.

+1. Mine did it with the load warrior basket. It comes and goes.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Noob here,

Just bought a 2013 and am considering this box for a road trip from here in FL to CO in August. Wondering how long the painters tape lasts. And if there's anything else you found to mitigate the noise.

·
Registered
2010 Subaru Outback
3 Posts
I am also looking into the Thule Sonic XL. I have a 2010 Outback with 20.5 inches from the back rail to the opened hatch. Could you post a picture of yours with the hatch up to see what I am looking at for contact with the hatch and roof box? Trying to figure out if I am better off with the Sonic L. Thanks for everything you posted so far. Very helpful information.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts