1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
White 11' LIMITED
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
****UPDATED/FIXED**** see post #9

2011 OB limited, 115k

I had just left my house for work, heard a metallic "thump" noise coming from what sounds like my front drivers wheel. After that it makes a rusty metal noise on each rotation. I immediately turned around since I had just started my trip and parked at home and took the Legacy to work instead.

This was about 5 days ago. Today I had time to drive it a short distance again to confirm. Same thing, rusty noise at slow speeds each rotation, goes away above 30ish. No noticeable issues with braking or driving, can't FEEL the sound either. If I had headphones on I wouldn't even know it was there.

I should mention it was inspected about 6 weeks ago and needed REAR brakes so I know they were all looked at relatively recently. It has been perfect since then. The car itself is not rusty and I can't SEE anything out of place from the outside.

Thanks guys :grin2:

·
Registered
2013 BRZ 2005 OBXT
230 Posts
Well the description is pretty vauge of the sound. Could be something as stupid and simple as a rock stuck between the rotor and something stationary. Really can't tell anything or fix anything without taking the wheel off.

·
Registered
1999 30th Anniversary Legacy Outback DOHC 2.5L 4EAT, 2008 Impreza WRX 2.5L 5MT, 2008 Impreza Wagon 2.5L 4EAT
1,224 Posts
If rear brakes were worked on might be the backing plate contacting the rotor or if it has the rear parking brake system rubbing on something (loose spring, etc.) Definitely need to take off the wheel if you know which one is making the sound.

·
Registered
White 11' LIMITED
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks guys. i'll keep checking this thread for a day or two as i won't have time to take it to the shop anyway.

i'm mostly trying to figure out if it's safe to drive to my mechanic next week. it feels fine, no pulsations or wobbles or anything.

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
4,861 Posts
That rust noise is the worst. Sometimes after the roads have been heavily salted I can go outside at night when it is quiet and can hear the car rusting in the driveway just sitting there. :grin2:

·
Registered
White 11' LIMITED
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
********UPDATE******

Going through some google questions I was lead to some youtube videos (I'm so used to youtube for entertainment, I forget how informative it can be) and one of the sounds I heard matched mine. Rotor plate/shield. I pushed on it with a screwdriver through the spokes and BOOM, problem solved. I still do not know if it was a pebble or branch or what caused it, but regardless thats what it was.

Thanks everyone :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have a 2011 Outback 2.5 Limited and a couple of days ago when pulling into a parking spot - couple of mph - and the wheel cranked over I could hear what sounded like a scuffing. It was the backing plate.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.