Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, At idle, when in the cabin you can hear a ticking that sounds like it's coming from near the master cylinder, that area.

It pretty consistent when the engine's warm, but I can't hear it when I open the hood. The engine could be drowning it out.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
2010 Forester 5-spd, 2012 Outback CVT
71 Posts
Try moving your head around the front end to see if you can locate it. Also put an ear in the wheel well and see if it shows up.

·
Registered
2011 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited
187 Posts
Get a long screwdriver, chisel, wood dowel, or something else you can place on the engine and your ear. Move around and gently place on something you think is making the noise. Make sure you don't touch or get caught in anything moving like a belt or pulley.

I'd take a close look at the injectors, my brother's have been noisy but no performance issue.

·
Registered
2018 Dark Blue Outback 3.6R Touring arrived 8/31/2017
343 Posts
The Mrs., the primary driver is a nurse, so I'll grab her stethoscope and move it around after I ask the engine to cough. :surprise:
I hope you've got really long arms to grab it down below while you tell it to turn its head, but be careful and don't grab the exhaust manifold! :surprise:

·
Registered
13 Posts
What kind of engine does your Subie have? I'm familiar with the flat four; mine has bucket followers. You may have an engine with hydraulic lash adjusters and one of them may have gotten stuck. If it's a sharp tapping that either goes away after several minutes or doesn't go away at all, that's probably your culprit. If it's more of a clunking noise that goes away almost immediately after the engine starts, that's probably piston slap. Could be something else, though; I'm not up to speed on the later engines.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts