Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Forester
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, thought it's gonna be an easy fix - at least that's what I thought - I have picked-up my Subbie for a grand with PO claiming bad HG - but when I noticed water pump leaking pretty bad I was like, ****, I might be able to just get away with a new water pump... after taking half the engine apart, replacing the water pump and putting everything back together I fired her up and watched in despair! - I have now what seems to be the best artificial fog machine ever produced!!!
Sucks right? since I have had the entire front apart... ****! but that's what we get when we buy a pandora's box... and I'm thinking - maybe I should of replaced it with a used, junk yard engine? but then again, I think like, naw!!! Sure I could but then I could have the same problem a few months down the road so.........
......... the new head gasket saga begins. Just ordered a set of necessary parts from RockAuto - Fel-Pro improved design... no bolts, I'm just gonna reuse the old ones... can't wait for the parts to arrive... gonna start stripping the engine once again tomorrow...

wish me luck!

·
Registered
2010 Forester
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
and the engine has been torn apart once again... Got the heads off. Gaskets have been leaking pretty bad, not only coolant was going into the cylinders but oil was leaking out as well. Hope my gaskets arrive tomorrow so I can put it back together as soon as possible. I have taken a closer look at the engine today - it does not appear to be an original (275,000 miles) or someone has really done a good job maintaining it - other than the HG issue - which most like was caused by overheating due to leaking water pump... if anything was replaced or fixed on this engine it was done using original parts - even timing - seems to be newer and it has Japan stamped on nearly every part.

Oh well... I guess I will never find out if this is an original or replacement.

Photos of the gaskets...

Attachments

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,368 Posts
Wouldn't be surprised if the seal on the WP failed after getting too much pressure from combustion leaks.

Could have been the other way around though.

·
Registered
2010 Forester
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Glad to report that head gaskets have been replaced and my Subbie is running perfect once again...

:29:

Now to some other issues that need to be addressed...

·
Registered
2010 Forester
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
2003 Subaru Outback
6 Posts
I have a 2003 Subaru Outback with 90600 miles on it . It has been using approx. a pint of coolant every 1000 miles since around 80000. The last time I had it state inspected mechanic stated head gasket was leaking slightly and should be replaced. Quoted price of 2400.00 for complete job. I think I will try a sealer kit specifically for this model Subaru . It is 149.00 and I hope it works . It has great reviews from others who have used

·
Registered
2010 Forester
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, good luck. Once I took my gaskets off it was obvious that no amount of sealer wold take care of this leak. I't depends on how bad the gasket is gone and if it's leaking into the cylinders or outside. Mine was going both ways, coolant was going into the cylinders and oil was leaking out.

·
Registered
01 Outback H6 VDC, 97 GT wgn w/ ej22, 98 OBW w/ej22
1,401 Posts
I have a 2003 Subaru Outback with 90600 miles on it . It has been using approx. a pint of coolant every 1000 miles since around 80000.
go to the dealer and buy 2 bottles of ''coolant conditioner''. it may stop the coolant leak. it will not, can not, stop an oil leak. it has been known to stop a coolant HG leak.

do not, do not, DO NOT put any other stop leak product in your engine.

·
Registered
2003 OBW 2.5L 4EAT
860 Posts
I wouldn't reccommend using the "coolant conditoner", it may stop your coolant leak, but it can also plug up the heater core and coolant passages in the engine leading to more problems, its also a pain to clean out afterwards. No one uses it at the Subaru dealership where work because of these problems occuring too often afterwards, nor does the private Subie mechanic in my area.

Anyway the stuff is a chemical thats a re-labelled British product called RadWeld..

If the leak isn't too bad, just check the coolant level frequently and top it off, otherwise replacement of the headgaskets will be needed either way.

·
Registered
2001 Legacy 2.5
450 Posts
Dre,

I see from another thread that you used Fel-Pro Head gaskets. It appears you don't have this car anymore, but how many miles did you put on the new Fel-Pros? Did you machine the heads? Fel-Pros are not only cheaper than OEM, they claim to address the issue with these engines. Just wondering how well they worked out for you. Thanks in advance for the reply.

·
Registered
2010 Forester
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Dre,

I see from another thread that you used Fel-Pro Head gaskets. It appears you don't have this car anymore, but how many miles did you put on the new Fel-Pros? Did you machine the heads? Fel-Pros are not only cheaper than OEM, they claim to address the issue with these engines. Just wondering how well they worked out for you. Thanks in advance for the reply.
I did put only a couple of hundred miles on the car before selling it. Car was going to be my daughters but she decided against since it was too big for her. I did not machine the heads though - just cleaned everything real well and put it together. Not even sure how long the new owner drove it before doing anything major with the engine - I sort of regretted replacing the gaskets in the first place - engine had so many miles on it that it deserved to be retired but it's all gone now......

1 - 12 of 12 Posts