Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All!

I've got a 2002 Forester.. been a great car for us. But it's at 101k miles and is needing the following work: new timing belt (and any related replacements), rattle in the exhaust (heat shield I think), new tires, had a small external coolant leak (head gasket) but the Subaru additive seemed to cure that.

So, I"m trying to decide if I put the 100k mile maintainance and roll the dice with my paid off Forester going another 100k for us, or take advantage of the 1.9% Subaru financing and upgrade to a 2013 Outback?

Do you think it's worth it to put the money into the Forester and hope it keeps running without major repairs (head gaskets totally failing, transmission, etc)... or do I get a decent trade-in while I can and move to the OUTBACK crowd? I appreciate your input!! Thanks,

Timmy

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
my 2001 legacy did a 2500mile road trip at 150K never missed a beat. We replaced it at 180K with a new Ob we needed the much larger updated rear seat space for kids seats. No rear seat space and the old Legacy would still be my daily driver.

·
Registered
Tungsten 2017 2.5 Limited w Eyesight SOLD!
1,043 Posts
Since your car is paid for you can take the money for the new OB and put it aside for repairs of the Fozzy and really drive it into the ground.
No monthly payment = priceless. YMMV

·
Registered
2011 Tacoma TRD Sport Double Cab Long Box
2,893 Posts
Since your car is paid for you can take the money for the new OB and put it aside for repairs of the Fozzy and really drive it into the ground.
No monthly payment = priceless. YMMV
Agreed. My 2004 is paid in full and I've tossed around the idea of buying an '09ish. Even though I could maybe get 5000 on trade and probably 6000 in a private sale, it's still cheaper for me to deal with the occasional issues than pay a few hundred a month. Unfortunately, as a 20-year-old I don't quite have the financial means to buy a 20k+ vehicle outright.

...and really, the issues I have are extremely few and far between. For instance, right now I have a creak in the rear end that I think is anti-sway bar end links, but that's been it for a long time.

Other than the potential headgasket repair in the future, your issues are minor. You've got less miles than I do, and unless I run into an awfully significant amount of extra money, I'm sure I'll hang onto mine up to 200k or more!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I took a close look At the engine and there is a very slight oil drip coming from the head gasket seam area of the engine block near the oil filter. This us he same area it used to leak coolant, but now just looks like oil. Maybe its worse than I thought...

·
Registered
2011 Outback 2.5i Premium, CVT, Steel Silver, all-weather package. Upgrades: Tweeter kit, BlueConnect, media hub, remote start, Curt 2" receiver hitch.
1,129 Posts
I used to drive cars for many, many miles... But I have recently fallen in love with the idea of a new car every 3-5 years.

Having said that, it makes monetary sense to keep the Forester on the road. If you can afford $400+ per month for a new Outback, why not put $300 a month in a savings account? Se that money to pay for pairs, and whatever is in the account when you decide to move on will go towards the new car.

So, in four ears, you can probably get $3-4k for the Forester, plus you'll have up to $14,000 in your savings account.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts