Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
05 OB 2.5i
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m doing my first timing belt change on my 05 OB 2.5i 75k, Ran into an issue with the driver side cam jumping 1/3 of a rotation on me. After a few choice words and some research I figured out I could rotate it clockwise back to where I needed it to be aligned. Now I got the belt back on and want to make sure I have it on correctly. The yellow marks on the belt are off just a hair, but the timing marks on the cams and crank look correct to me. I just want a second opinion before I pull the tensioner pin.
Also I see some coolant or some kind seepage along the heads, I'm not sure If I need to be concerned about it. It is squishy when i press the black plastic above the oil filter, which I also have some kind of oily build up in that area, possibly from this area.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
8,048 Posts
Um, you know this is an interference engine, correct?

The timing belt change interval is 104k miles or 104 months, whichever comes *first*. You were way overdue on the 104 months, and a timing belt failure / cam slippage, if that's what happened, will likely have more consequences than just having to line it all up again and fire it up.

Sorry if this is the case.

UPDATE: I may have incorrectly read into your post that the cam rotation occurred while the engine was operating - sorry if that isn't correct. Carry on.

·
Premium Member
(formerly) 03 H6 OBW , (presently) 06 WRX Sportwagon & 2021 Honda CR-V
18,582 Posts
best double check after pulling the tensioner pin and roatating the crank 2 times = is a tooth count. Forget the the belt marks will be gone (they only line back up after a coupla hundred rotations I think) but, if you put the cam and crank marks back in installation position, a tooth count will confirm timing before you start the car. search on-line, you'll find a drawing/image with the TC

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,385 Posts
Looks about right - but the only confirmation is:
pull the pin
rotate engine a couple times by hand
realign the crank and cam marks - get them exactly dead on - your pictures are a few degrees off.

if they're good after that you're done.

change the coolant and add subaru coolant conditioner - it should be done by now if it hasn't and if you have an initial external headgasket leak this will mitigate that almost 100% of the time on factory installed gaskets.

these engines are noted for external coolant and oil leaks, more notably oil for that year. this is no diagnosis, we don't have enough to go on but it's worth noting if you didn't know that.

·
Premium Member
(formerly) 03 H6 OBW , (presently) 06 WRX Sportwagon & 2021 Honda CR-V
18,582 Posts
many people seem to be able to stop/reduce coolant seepage by using the Subaru Coolant Conditioner (ONLY install per directions)

·
Registered
05 OB 2.5i
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I messed with it some more last night, this is where I stand. I think it looks better then earlier yesterday. I haven't cranked it over by hand yet, I'll do that next tonight. Also I changed the coolant recently, with OEM Subaru green coolant and added the oem conditioner, and that's what I will be replacing back into it since I did end up pulling the radiator out. I'll just have to keep an eye on that seepage see if it gets any worse. I'm Also I'm aware of the service interval I'm not at the mileage but way over on the months (or years) and that is why I'm doing the belt now with new idlers, tensioner, and belt. I assume what I have is all original, but I'm the 3rd owner with little service history.

Attachments

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,385 Posts
Yep, that's better. It's all about the marks on the crank and cam sprockets, nothing else at all matters. Assuming everything else is correctly installed you should be golden.
Pull the pin, rotate to let it all settle and then verify.

·
Registered
05 OB 2.5i
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I did two rotations of the crank and I think the cams are good. I got most of of it back together just waiting for amazon to drop off a new a/c tensioner today and torque the crank down to spec. Probably will need some more pickup some more coolant now that i'm looking at what I took out.

Attachments

·
Registered
05 OB 2.5i
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I got her put back together, picked up some fresh coolant and she started right up. I burped the cooling system and took her around the block. So far so good she sounds a lot quieter from the new a/c tensioner pulley. Thanks everyone for the input. I was getting a little stressed out when the cam slipped.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts