Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Onyx XT, 04 Mazda Speed Miata 07 Suburban.
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are getting ready to change the water pump in my son's Legacy and of course that involves removing the crank pulley. I see that a special tool is suggested to hold the pulley, and have also heard that a strap or chain wrench may do the job. How about using an impact wrench to remove the crank nut? Is there any reason not to try this?

·
Registered
01 Outback H6 VDC, 97 GT wgn w/ ej22, 98 OBW w/ej22
1,401 Posts
usually there isn't enough room to get an electric impact wrench on the crank bolt but if you can fit it in there go for it.

the chain wrench will work as long as the crank pulley holds up. but on a 15 year old pulley sometimes the rubber cushion lets go.

the best is to hold the flex plate or fly wheel still at the access hole up top under the throttle body.

for the auto trans there are other holes on the sides of the bell housing you can use to insert screw drivers to hold the flex plate. this is what i do, it works great.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
screwdriver flexplate trick.

of course yours will look different since the engine is in the car.

the screwdriver should catch on the contours of the flex plate at the bolt.

the ej22 flex plate has a smaller diameter than the ej25 but you should still be able to find a ''catch''. any catch will do. see below and find a ''catch''. this pic even shows a screwdriver in the hole.

(thanks, google images)

·
Premium Member
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
18,205 Posts
canubaru - are there rubber plugs in the bellhousing holes? bolts?

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
usually there isn't enough room to get an electric impact wrench on the crank bolt but if you can fit it in there go for it.

the chain wrench will work as long as the crank pulley holds up. but on a 15 year old pulley sometimes the rubber cushion lets go.

the best is to hold the flex plate or fly wheel still at the access hole up top under the throttle body.

for the auto trans there are other holes on the sides of the bell housing you can use to insert screw drivers to hold the flex plate. this is what i do, it works great.
Thanks

I guess we will try the bump start approach. There is not enough room for my Pneumatic impact, without taking the condenser out.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK, the Bump the Starter worked fine. How do you hold it to tighten it back up?

·
Premium Member
01 VDC, 05 R Sedan, 06 BAJA EJ257
15,593 Posts
Borrow a smaller 3/8 drive impact. Or try to hold the crank still at the starter drive teeth on the torque converter.

If you don't get that bolt torqued, it will come loose with the pulley and gear.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
canubaru - are there rubber plugs in the bellhousing holes? bolts?
i have never seen any but i'm usually working on a car that is over 10 years old.

the screwdriver flexplate trick works great on auto trans cars from 90 - 01 cars, not sure about later ones. the guy i learned it from would actually use a bolt from somewhere on the engine / trans and thread it into the hole. i have never tried that.

·
Registered
2014 OBW 3.6R Limited, 1997 OBW 2.5L Auto (sold, but not forgotten), and 1991 Ford F150
1,525 Posts
OK, the Bump the Starter worked fine. How do you hold it to tighten it back up?
Screwdriver method works. On the top passenger side of the bell housing, there is a rubber plug ... remove the plug and rotate the crank until a slot appears in the hole where the plug was ... insert a screwdriver into the slot to hold the crank while you tighten the crank bolt.

·
Registered
I own 4 Subarus. A 95,97,02 and a 14. The first two are 2.2 and the last two 2.5.
657 Posts
Roblog is right [great picture]. Use a big and long, 8" shank screwdriver. The mechanical advantage at the flywheel will be about 6/1, so that you can easily hold the flywheel while putting 130 ft lb of torque on the crankshaft.

Actually I did it myself without help.

However in removing the crankshaft bolt, I think it's a good idea to use the starter method since the torque of loosing it might be very very high.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts