Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Legacy Outback 2.5i Limited 5MT
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting ready to drop this replacement engine in my car this week. 57K on the replacement. Timing belt is past 105 months, so changing it.

I read that a lot of oil pump backing plate screws were found to be loose in the Gen 3 2.5. Do I really need to pull the pump and check the screws? Obviously replace o-ring and main seal if it is coming off.

This original, never touched factory motor only has 57K easy miles on it, and apparently garaged all it's life. I was just going to do the belt. Don't plan to touch it again for another 105K. Looks brand new in there, and all the rubber is still soft. Not changing the water pump.

*Do I really need to change the tensioner, pulleys, and cam seals? Have the parts (OEM), but would like to save the over $330 if not needed. But those bearings will have 162K on them next time I'm in there.

*Do I really need to pull the oil pump apart?
*Does removing the oil pump require removing the tensioner body? (Have to go pick up the seals for that if so).

If yes on the oil pump, blue Loctite on the backing plate screws on reassembly?

Is there sealant required on the pump body on reinstallation? If so, what is it?

·
Registered
2005 Legacy GT wagon 5MT Limited
320 Posts
Yes on tensioner and pulleys; get the Aisin kit, NOT the Gates! No on oil pump, no on cam seals, no on water pump. Yes on valve cover gaskets, oil pan gasket, and on oil cooler gasket if applicable (probably not). Oil pickup is a good idea.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes on tensioner and pulleys; get the Aisin kit, NOT the Gates! No on oil pump, no on cam seals, no on water pump. Yes on valve cover gaskets, oil pan gasket, and on oil cooler gasket if applicable (probably not). Oil pickup is a good idea.

All that on a 57K motor? Nothing is leaking. Oil pan is sealant, not gasket on an 2006 253?

What oil pickup - The whole pickup, or just the 2(?) O-rings? (one on the pickup, one on the pan - looks like it goes under the base of the pickup).

If really need valve cover gaskets, should I adjust the valves? Probably never done. These are pretty cheap, so I can see replacing them. But no spark plug O-rings?

New Aisin kit # is TKF-011. That includes the water pump. Anyone know if there is a kit without the pump available? It is not shown on the Aisin catalog site (http://partcat.com/aisin). Rockauto does not carry this. Who is a good supplier?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cant find the TKF-011 Aisin kit. Don't think I need to replace the water pump. Any other choice besides dealer for OEM quality belt and idlers? Do I really need to replace the idlers, and all these other seals at 57K, going to 162K before next service?

Old motor was just starting to leak oil pan, valve covers and head gaskets at 167K. At that mileage on this replacement, it will be time for head gaskets. I may not even fix the car then, as there will be 272K on the chassis. This was already expensive, and getting much more so. I am paying for the labor on this one too, so that's a factor as well. Not to mention another $G+ on sus in the next few months.

Not wanting to be cheap, as I'm in for a bunch already. But do I really need to do all this stuff?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts