9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just bought a 2006 OB 2.5 limited with 114k
no history of timing belt being done.
is there a way to check to see if its been done :confused:

·
Registered
288 Posts
Probably not, the expense of replacement is a cost they didn't want, so it was traded in.
Pull driver side cam cover and look at belt's condition. Cracks or lines in the ribs says no.
Timing marks still visible?
It's better to be safe than sorry, replace it, it's due.

O.

·
Registered
Onyx, 2008 LL Bean 3.0R and 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
4,112 Posts
The most reliable way to tell if needs to be done is when it breaks and your engine screws the pooch. :(

I'd get it done if the inspection leaves you with even a shadow of a doubt.

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,306 Posts
Plan for a TB job.

Belt
ALL tensioners/pulleys.
Crank and cam seals.
Water pump.
Reseal oil pump.

·
Registered
06 Outback 2.5 limited
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
pulled the short side of timing cover today and the belt looked good but when i checked the alternator belt it had part of split down the middle. Looks like I'll be doing a timing belt
and pulleys. power of deduction leads me to believe it wasn't done.

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,366 Posts
A new car payment is often cheaper than a big cash outlay on programmed maintenance. It's the #1 reason people trade them in, and the dealer will always have something ready.

Get that belt job done and enjoy your car.

Congrats & welcome!

·
Registered
1993 Legacy LSi with still functioning Air Suspension, 1999 Outback 2.5L 5MT lab Rat
191 Posts
I'd do the waterpump, thermostst, and coolant while I was already in there. not a bad idea to pick up the radiator hoses also.

·
Registered
Onyx, 2008 LL Bean 3.0R and 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
4,112 Posts
I've heard an OEM thermostat is the way to go. There are a few other brands that work, but don't just throw any old one in there. Search here for compatible options.

·
Registered
2010 Forester
63 Posts
I would change the belt anyway... Throw in water pump, thermostat and hoses at the same time... Worry free driving is what you want, right?

I did buy my thermostat and hoses at the dealer - real cheap so going for some other brands is not really worth it. Different thing is when you talk about water pump and timing kit... That you might want to pick up say at rockauto....

Good luck

·
Registered
00 Outback Wagon...269K 09 Legacy 2.5 Sedan...93k
202 Posts
I would change the belt anyway... Throw in water pump, thermostat and hoses at the same time... Worry free driving is what you want, right?

I did buy my thermostat and hoses at the dealer - real cheap so going for some other brands is not really worth it. Different thing is when you talk about water pump and timing kit... That you might want to pick up say at rockauto....

Good luck
Yep...the whole "shootin" match at Rockauto(TB kit w/pump, crank/cam seals) cost me just shy of $200. Another $250 labor from my mechanic(I know my limitations!) and all is good.

·
Registered
2006 Outback 2.5i Limited 5MT, 1984 Porsche 944
277 Posts
Pull the driver side cover. (3 10mm bolts) If it's a Mitsuboshi Belt, it's probably the original. If it's anything else, it's not.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Have your dealer check their records via vin#. If the prior owner has lots of dealer records in the Subaru system and no TB service then safe to say its not done.

It's not possible to look at a TB and know if its been done only proof is a receipt with the vin# saying it was done.

Waterpumps on subarus if the coolant was properly cared for run 200K its only suggested you change it at 110K if the coolant was poorly cared for. Your call......... I live in a mild climate and water pump at 100K would be the last thing on my must do list. Replacing tired 100K shocks would be farther up the list than replacing a water pump designed to go 200K with proper coolant.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Just for reference...THIS is what you DON'T want to see... IMG_1206.jpg
a timing belt w/239K on it. This is from my daughters Ford Focus which she just bought!

Guess who's paying for a Timing Belt??

·
Registered
2010 Forester
63 Posts
on that water pump... I would check first for any signs of wear. You will have to tear the entire front end apart once again if the water pump breaks down the road but why spend money on something that can last you a long time? Belt is a different story - you don't want to take any chances there.

Look for signs of head gaskets going bad - see if there's oil leaking or coolant "vanishing"...

·
Registered
202 Posts
You will have to tear the entire front end apart once again if the water pump breaks down the road but why spend money on something that can last you a long time?
You just answered your own question!Lol!!
Make sure to get a bottle of coolant conditioner at the dealer too...I pay $1.84 and have used it in all makes/models of vehicles.

·
Registered
202 Posts
That thing is about a hard wish away from totally going. Eek!

Thanks for sharing!
Lol!!
Concur...
She's in college and needed *cheap* transportation. The car overall is in really good condition for a '00, but I was suspicious after I put new plugs in.

Good thing.

"Off" to RockAuto I go!

Oh...and the small price of a waterpump kit is well worth it and requires no more "labor" once everything is torn down.

Buy/Replace all of the seals also while you're in there...again...CHEAP insurance!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts