Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2001 Obw 2.5 5 speed 300000kms.
With my front main leaking again, my timing belt is covered in oil. It is a new belt and don't want to replace it. As for cleaning it, I was thinking cleaning it in sunlight dish soap. Thinking this would be the least harmful on the belt. Thoughts?

·
Registered
2017 OutBack Premier, 2019 Forester Ltd, 2016 370z Rdstr
717 Posts
Red Loctite,

Yes, any good degreaser that isn't petroleum based can clean the belt of the oil but .... how long has the belt been contaminated with oil? I'm not certain that it shouldn't be replaced regardless. Oil makes rubber expand and deteriorate as it soaks into the rubber. If its been oil contaminated for any length of time, it will have absorbed oil, will expand, stretch, and possibly start coming apart spewing the ribbed sections in chunks. Then the cam gears get out of sync, and then ....

And then you have to tear down the front of the engine ... again. Maybe its worth replacing with another new belt now, rather than 600 miles away from home this summer? Your call ... but I know the call that I would make.

·
Registered
257 Posts
A gates belt ... just the belt is $38 with shipping from Rock Auto. Seems like pretty cheap insurance rather than using a belt that's been contaminated with oil.

Also... if you are seeing leaking from new front crankshaft seals, be sure to check that the seal is not being driven into too far. Some seals are constructed with the lip further in than others. The seal is pushed in to where the lip runs against the face of the crankshaft. I have seen this more than once. They work fine if you just use care not to push them in too far..

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. It has been at least a week of oil leaking so I will just replace the belt. As for the seal, I made sure that it was flush with the case when I I stalled it last. I am going to replace the pcv valve hoping that was the problem.

·
Registered
257 Posts
You are probably good, but I measure where the lip lands on the crankshaft to be sure rather than it's location in the case.

My experience is that new seals leak for a reason. I would spend some time looking for the reason. Be sure there is nothing to prevent oil from draining away from the seal.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You are probably good, but I measure where the lip lands on the crankshaft to be sure rather than it's location in the case.

My experience is that new seals leak for a reason. I would spend some time looking for the reason. Be sure there is nothing to prevent oil from draining away from the seal.
The seal was pushed out. I checked the pcv valve and it seemed to be working. I replaced it anyways. I'm wondering if I didn't have it pushed all the way in.

·
Registered
1999 30th Anniversary Legacy Outback DOHC 2.5L 4EAT, 2008 Impreza WRX 2.5L 5MT, 2008 Impreza Wagon 2.5L 4EAT
1,224 Posts
That seal benefits from using a Subaru OEM one rather than an aftermarket one. On my 98 the old seal had worn grooves into the crankshaft seal landing that made the seal not work.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It was a Mahle seal. I have heard good things about them. I am keeping a closet eye on it. If I see any oil leaking, I'll get an oem and do it again

1 - 8 of 8 Posts