Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
09 Legacy GT, 08 Legacy 2.5i, 09 Outback 2.5i
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to find a replacement rubber seal for my son's 2009 OB 2.5i. Just did the timing belt. The rubber gasket on the back of the outer pass/center timing belt plastic cover is really swollen/expanded and it will not stay on long enough to reassemble. Finding it difficult to id the part online. Desiring to replace it but maybe we should just cut the excess out and put it back together.

·
Registered
09 Legacy GT, 08 Legacy 2.5i, 09 Outback 2.5i
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I ended up snipping out ~1/4" from the two sections on the top and then used some 3M rubber adhesive on it before bolting it back on. Back together now and looks good to go...

·
Registered
2008 Outback 2.5
966 Posts
I ended up snipping out ~1/4" from the two sections on the top and then used some 3M rubber adhesive on it before bolting it back on. Back together now and looks good to go...
Good job!
I think it's just used to prevent dust and dirt from getting into the TB area and certainly not to hold any fluids in. My gasket was swollen from PS fluid leaking onto it before I replaced the O-ring at the top of the pump, but it had not swollen bad enough to prevent me from just stuffing it back in when I did the TB job. Cutting a section out and gluing it back together is a good idea.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts