Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a 2007 Outback 2.5L with 84,000 miles. Is it necessary to change the timing belt? Is my engine interfering or non-interfering?? My concern is that if I have an interfering motor I may damage the engine if it breaks.

If I were to change the timing belt, what would the average cost be for the parts?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks! Since its an interfering engine, what's the worst that could happen if the timing belt broke?

·
Super Moderator
12,119 Posts
Interference engine. Belt breaks = huge repair bill.

Timing belt, all tensioners/pulleys, crank and cam seal due at 105k miles. Recommend water pump at this time as well. At a good shop this will run $800-$1300 depending on your area.

·
Registered
261 Posts
As said above, replace it all...belt, pulleys, tensioners, etc. I had a timing belt break on my Civic about 40k miles prematurely...cost about $1700 to get her running again, but it could've been worse ("only" had to replace half the valves). I think I paid about $700-800 for my timing belt job on my OB (I had someone else do it).

·
Registered
128 Posts
+1 to all the above.

Just a slight clarification on the interval:

Subaru recommends inspection of the belt at 30/60/90k, and a definitely replace at 105k/105months. (Obviously replace if it's worn prior to 105k, which I would think is rare).

No need to spend the money before ya have to (IMO).

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
By the way no dealer inspects the belt at those intervals and even if they did they would not be able to see anything that would indicate an issue outside of actual damage which would involve damage to the cover also.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Thanks for chiming in - as I wrote that I was wondering if anyone really takes a look at the belt condition. I suppose even if oil from the cam/crank seals was leaking on it you would find it dripping off the bottom of the t-belt cover first.

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
Although it takes about 5 minutes to get off the side timing belt covers. That's enough to inspect the belt and possibly the pulleys with a small mirror and flashlight.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts